PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson Cabinet Find

barrysloate
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Having just received my latest issue of Old Cardboard, I discovered that Jay Miller and Joe Gonsowski made a major find of 15 Tomlinson cabinets, a couple which were previously unknown. Was there a thread about this that I somehow missed, or are we learning about it here for the first time? Either way, perhaps Jay or Joe could elaborate on it and provide a checklist. It looks sensational.

jcmtiger
11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I'll hope Joe G. or Jay post more on this find.

Joe

slidekellyslide
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I just got my OC today and saw that as well...if there was a thread I missed it.

And nice article there Barry!

barrysloate
11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Dan. It was a mini-article. Lyman asked me to come up with some background information on those Harper's Woodcuts, and I knew out of the gate it would be a short one. But I still had fun doing it and was happy to contribute.

oldjudge
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Barry--I'll leave it to Joe to provide the info. He knows much more about these cabinets than I do. All I can say is that they are beautiful, especially the portraits.

barrysloate
11-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Jay- I noticed that the two new ones- Brouthers and White- have a different banner than the other two portraits.

ethicsprof
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Barry,
a truly great piece in O C. Many thanks.
Now i see more clearly than ever why you've spent a lifetime in Brooklyn.
Those early teams were indeed the cream, as you put it.
congrats on the pub

best,
barry

barrysloate
11-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks Barry. Brooklyn does have a rich history of early baseball.:)

ethicsprof
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Barry,
Let's make sure ole friend Brian McQueen gets this one listed in your Net 54
pubs section!
best,

barry

barrysloate
11-13-2009, 06:01 PM
With each issue of the magazine, the current articles should be archived. I'll get an email out to Brian, although hopefully he will read this thread.

autograf
11-13-2009, 07:09 PM
did this thread just get restricted to only people named Barry? Those Tomlinson cabs are great.........

ethicsprof
11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
thanks Barry. sounds like a great plan for the archives.
and thanks Brian for the WORK.
and i must say the Tomlinson Cabinet find is a WOW for the ages.

Hi Tom!!
best,

barry

insidethewrapper
11-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Joe: Great find , I've lived in Michigan all my life and never met this lady. Why ? Some people have all the luck. Now only 9 more portraits to find from 1886.

Here's the only individual player Tomlinson cabinet I have ( I was wondering if it is autographed by him on the back- probably not his auto).

Joe_G.
11-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks Barry & others,

I'm currently visiting family and writing from a dial-up connection so no other pics at this time but I can share a few more written details.

For a 19th century collector with a Detroit focus, its hard to imagine finding a more exciting group of cards. They are fabulous!

The cards date to 1886 with the photos taken at Tomlinson Studio in late April prior to the start of the 1886 campaign. I chronicled far more details on the team, the photo shoot, and the cabinet cards in an earlier Old Cardboard issue (Fall 2007?).

I first learned of these cards in April of this year and it took six months to seal the deal with an extremely delighted seller. Most of the cabinets have personalized mounts (listing player name, position, and team) while the others have a generic Studio mount. Prior to this find, all thirteen players were catalogued in action poses but only three in portrait (Bennett, Getzien, & Manning). This find adds two new portraits, Dan Brouthers & Deacon White. It is possible that the other eight portraits may turn up (they were used to make the Lorillard cabinet and the Tomlinson "Champions of the League" team composite).

Jay & I split the find allowing me to complete a player set, something I didn't think possible prior to this find. Jay wound up with some fantastic cabinets including the Brouthers portrait. Its safe to say we are both happy with the cabinets.

Also worth mention are the new variations of some of the action poses. I'll share more details when I have a high speed connection.

PS - For those that may have written me, I can't access my email at the moment and may not be able to do so for another week.

barrysloate
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Cool!:cool:

Joe_G.
11-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow!, that makes 3 Getzien portraits, all of them on generic Studio mounts, interesting. That same image was used on his Police Gazette and SF Hess card. I suspect that isn't Pretzel's autograph since the last name is mis-spelled as was quite common.

Nice card !

GaryPassamonte
11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
With regards to the signature(s) on the back of the cabinet, it appears that the spelling is wrong. Getzien is correct, not Getzein.

uffda51
11-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Very cool. I've never been fortunate enough to obtain one of these. Congratulations, Jay & Joe.

Exhibitman
11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
With regards to the signature(s) on the back of the cabinet, it appears that the spelling is wrong. Getzien is correct, not Getzein.

Then probably not an autograph...