PDA

View Full Version : 1877 NL Constitution question

aelefson
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the book scanned below as a reprint for research purposes. As I do not own an authentic one, how do the two versions differ? I expected to see a reprint page or note, but my limited reading of it thus far has not uncovered one. Were they just made in a different size? Mine is 6.5 inches tall. I can provide more scans or details if desired. If someone has one, please post an authentic 1877 NL constitution.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

barrysloate
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Alan- the 1877 Constitution is quite rare, and I can't recall if I have ever seen an original. To my understanding, the original and reprint are identical.

barrysloate
11-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I just checked my reprint copy and on page 2, under "Publisher's Notice", it states that it is a 1988 Horton reprint. Does yours have that? If not, there are two different editions.

aelefson
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Barry-
It does not have that note on the Publisher's Notice page. Was there also a 1977 reprint? I thought I read that somewhere while googling this earlier today. Thank you for your help.
Alan

barrysloate
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
It's odd that there are two different reprints. You wouldn't think there would be that much demand. Don't know if yours is from 1977, but that certainly is a reasonable possibility.

In 1988 Horton issued a 31 volume reprint set that included a complete run of Spalding Guides from 1876-1905, plus an 1890 Player's League Guide. That's where my copy originates. Yours apparently is different.

aelefson
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Barry! I will also continue to peruse it to see if there is some other reprint identifier buried in it. I too agree it is odd for this book to have been reprinted twice (but obviously it was, and maybe more than twice).
Alan

barrysloate
11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
You're welcome Alan. As I now recall, the 1877 reprint you have has been offered occasionally as an original, and some collectors have been fooled. However, if you saw the Horton reprint, there is no way you would mistake it as old. While it was faithfully copied, the paper stock simply looks too new.

william_9
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Alan, does your copy have the title on the spine? The Horton reprints have the title on the spine in all caps followed by the year of original publication. Also, the Horton reprints are 4x6 in size. The originals would have been slightly larger.

aelefson
11-11-2009, 12:36 PM
William-
No, there is no title on the spine and mine is slightly larger (6.5 inches tall) so it was most likely made to deceive. As Barry said, the pages are too white to be that old of a book, but all else appears to be faithfully reproduced.
Thanks,
Alan