PDA

View Full Version : Help with a vintage ball and box

thxforthebp
11-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I am hoping someone can help me identify this ball. I collect Goldsmith baseball items and havent seen this one before. It is a #97 top of the line ball but instead of Official 97 League it says Professional Baseball Fund on the sweet spot. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

slidekellyslide
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
The Professional Baseball Fund was set up by Ford Frick in 1957 to help out minor league teams which were struggling at the time because of televised major league baseball. It was part of Frick's "Save the Minors" program.

Cool baseball and one I've not seen before.

thxforthebp
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info. My only question is that it seems to predate the Frick baseball fund. Goldsmith was bought out by MacGregor right after WWII and stopped manufacturing products under their name. Everything was made under the Macgregor-Goldsmith name and then Goldsmith name was dropped in the early 1950s and the line became solely Macgregor. The ball and box are only stamped Goldsmith?????

slidekellyslide
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info. My only question is that it seems to predate the Frick baseball fund. Goldsmith was bought out by MacGregor right after WWII and stopped manufacturing products under their name. Everything was made under the Macgregor-Goldsmith name and then Goldsmith name was dropped in the early 1950s and the line became solely Macgregor. The ball and box are only stamped Goldsmith?????

The only thing I could think of in this situation is old store stock was bought out by a minor league club. I wasn't so sure about the ball, but the font of the stamping is similar to other 1950s minor league balls, but I've definitely seen that box style with late 1930s Goldsmith baseballs.

thxforthebp
11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Here is a photo of the Goldsmith Logo....I have no idea what this ball could be from everything is stamped at the same time so I don't know if it could have been old stock?

erstevens
11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Are you certain that the ball and box go together?

thxforthebp
11-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Im 99% sure they do