PDA

View Full Version : Rollins- lots of hot air

Yankeefan51
11-05-2009, 03:57 AM
As a lifelong Yankee fan, we take great pleasure in our latest victory.

It is especially gratifying to see that the overrated loud mouth Jimmy Rollins was made to look so foolish after his silly prediction.

The Yankees greatness is testimony to their long-term commitment to investing in great talent, regardless of the price. To all of those who are critical of the Yankees' investment in their team, we remind them that you have to spend money to make money. Just ask the Yankees Network TV partners, Goldman Sachs.

Congratulations to George and his sons, to Brian Cashman and Joe Girdari to the Yankee fans and to American Capitalism for continuing to produce the best team in the history of Sports.

In fact, it was a near perfect week as the Yankees won the World Series and the arrogant Democrats
suffered humiliating defeats. Perhaps the White Sox can find a job in 2012 for the most arrogant resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, He and Ozzie deserve one another.

God Bless America!

rhettyeakley
11-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Wow, this should be good!

ullmandds
11-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Congratulations to the Yankees...and all of their great fans...but I don't know about that other nonsense.

The Yankees were like a fine cocktail this year...mix quality ingredients together in just the right amounts...and you end up with a winner...take those same ingredients..and mix them in the wrong proportions..and you end up with the Mets!!!

barrysloate
11-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Although the Yankees got off to a slow start this year, you could see by mid-season that this was a championship team. They are really deep and well balanced. For the first time in a while, all of the big spending on free agents paid big dividends. Congrats on their 27th World Championship!

martin neal
11-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Congrats to the Yankees regardless of what they paid top get there. I do like the Yankee players. However, I can't believe I have to read the rest of that crap so early in the morning. It's pitiful.

FrankWakefield
11-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I was for the Phillies.

I see some good with a Yankees win... good for ARod, he gets a ring. Good for the Yankees to open their plush new stadium with a championship. Just like in 1923. That's good for baseball, a bit. And a fortunate way to do that is with the clinching game in NY instead of Philly.

The down side is the arrogance that lumps blessing of America and Democratic defeats in with the World Series. That isn't really necessary here at the board...

GrayGhost
11-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't know why that had to be ruined by political talk.

Congratulations to the Yankees on a great year and their 27th Title. I was a Red Sox fan as a kid, so the last 34 years or so have been quite a ride, w many great teams and seven world titles. Lets hope its the start of many titles for the YANKEES;)

autograf
11-05-2009, 06:45 AM
We've all seen the necessary isn't always what Bruce brings to the table. Congrats to the Yankees 27th.....wish my hapless Reds could pull another one off but it looks like that ship has sailed.............

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 06:48 AM
As a lifelong Yankee fan, I accept Bruce's congratulations!

And, regardless of politics, (which should be deleted from his post), I think it's proof that this is a great country when a guy like Bruce can be a Yankee fan on one hand and a total asshat on the other.

autograf
11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
You know, you don't see the word 'asshat' used often enough. I applaud you Jim........

milkit1
11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
wow we went a week (I think) without doh doh's mentioning their political opinions as if a baseball forum really gives a crap. oh yeah... congrats Yankees.

barrysloate
11-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I've never even heard of asshat...I learned a new vocabulary word today.:)

base_ball
11-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Before last night, Yankee fans had suffered through eight years of the winningest team in baseball.

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
True. But in some places in life, success is measured against expectations, not against a national average.

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I've never even heard of asshat...I learned a new vocabulary word today.:)

With a visual to go along:

Wite3
11-05-2009, 07:23 AM
No one sees the irony in the title of this post...talk about hot air.

Joshua

barrysloate
11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks Jim...I tried doing that but it didn't work.:(

Bobsbats
11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
As a life long Phillies fan, last night tweaked me a smidge to say the least. I take nothing away from the Yankees....they have a great team and they had a better team this year, so my hats off to them. As for Rollins and his big mouth predictions,......whats he supposed to say,"they are better than us, we are going to lose". As far as overrated, just ask the Mets if he is overrated, then look at his MVP trophy. The Phillies are built for the long haul, much like the Yankees of the 90's, so enjoy the win, but the Phils will be back again soon.

oldjudge
11-05-2009, 07:33 AM
As in any group in society, there are some good people and there are some jerks--nuf ced. As a Yankee fan I would like to congratulate the Phillies' fans on a great season. The series could have gone either way and I'm just happy we came out ahead.

ibuysportsephemera
11-05-2009, 07:40 AM
As a life long Met fan, I have always maintained that I have no problem with the Yankees, just the obnoxious Yankees fans (and I am not lumping all Yankee fans into this category). Asshat Bruce proves this with his post. Congrats to the Yankees!

ullmandds
11-05-2009, 07:46 AM
It looks like Bruce has a new nickname...I think this one will stick like "who's your daddy" did on Pedro!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing Bruce is the most influential person to set foot on net 54!

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 07:47 AM
As in any group in society, there are some good people and there are some jerks--nuf ced. As a Yankee fan I would like to congratulate the Phillies' fans on a great season. The series could have gone either way and I'm just happy we came out ahead.

I love it when the two teams who are clearly the best, get to the World Series. It doesn't always happen. (See: 2008)

The most amazing thing to me this year was the job that the Phillies did in piecing it together. They made to game 6 of the World Series yet the starting pitcher in 4 of the 6 Series games was not on the Phillies roster until mid to late July! How did they get through the first 4 months of the season?

Truly, an incredible job by a well run organization.

(And... I love Jimmy Rollins. He is tough as can be and a true entertainer, both on and off the field. If I didn't think Jeter was going to play another 10-12 years...)

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks Jim...I tried doing that but it didn't work.:(

Doesn't work for me either. But there is more than one Bruce!

D. Bergin
11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
:D:D:D

I'm very happy about the win. The old guys really came through. Johnny Damon, Andy Pettite, Jeter (seems like yesterday I said to myself "this guys gonna be pretty good), Mariano, of course.

I'm most happy for Hideki Matsui who has been nothing but a class act for the Yankees ever since he came over from Japan. Like Mark Texiera said............he is a "professional hitter".

His knees are shot and he can't really get around, similar to Edgar Martinez and Harold Baines...............but man, can he hit a baseball. Most here seem to disagree but it's one of the reasons I like the DH. So we can continue to watch guys like this hit a baseball and not be relegated to limping around in the field.

D. Bergin
11-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh, and I'd love to have Jimmy Rollins on my team. :D

Orioles1954
11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Wow! I know Bruce better than he knows himself. I predicted he would be on here the moment the Yanks won the WS. I'm a bit disappointed though. Where's all of the "world's greatest city" blather?

alanu
11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Congrats to the Yankees and Joba (Nebraska)!

Although I feel they are able to "buy" the series in a lot of ways, I have had great enjoyment over the previous 8 years when they tried to "buy" the series and failed.

JasonL
11-05-2009, 09:03 AM
"...we take great pleasure in our latest victory."

I must have missed it, Bruce. Were you on the roster?

wolfdogg
11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Loving every minute of it as a life-long Yankee fan BUT I don't see Rollins as over-rated. He is a great player. Actually, I was kinda worried about this series. The Phillies have a great team and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them in The Big Show again.....soon

D. Bergin
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Phillies have a solid core of young talented players. If they can hold on to these guys and get a reliable pitching staff in place they will be contending for a long time.

Jay Wolt
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm a Yankees fan, always have been and naturally enjoyed the outcome of the series.
The Phillies were a tough opponent who won it all last year and they have a great core of great players.
So what was Jimmy Rollins supposed to say when a reporter asked him who will win the Series?
Of course he should predict his team to win it all.
Can't believe a thread was started in hatred as opposed to happiness about the Bombers 27th Championship.

JasonL
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm a Yankees fan, always have been and naturally enjoyed the outcome of the series.
The Phillies were a tough opponent who won it all last year and they have a great core of great players.
So what was Jimmy Rollins supposed to say when a reporter asked him who will win the Series?
Can't believe a thread was started in hatred as opposed to happiness about the Bombers 27th Championship.

what's the saying? -Consider the source.
Appropriate thread title started by someone who has a history of proudly peddling hot air on here.

hoot-owl
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Lifelong Yankee fan--five things I will take from this series:
1) Lee's 1st game masterpiece
2) Rivera being on the mound at the close of all four Yankee wins
3) Utley's hot streak
4) Damon's dash
5) Godzilla's incredible game six

With the exception of Pettitte's three year stay in Houston--when was the last time a team had four-fifteen year team mates?

kkkkandp
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I was ecstatic when I ran to Modell's first thing this morning to get locker room World's Champions t-shirts for my kids and me (not sure why my wife didn't want one ;)) and I'll be happy to get to bed at a decent hour for a change.

I have to admit, the Phillies scared the crap out of most smart Yankee fans. They were the defending champions, have a great bunch of players and I cringed every time Utley, Werth or Ibanez came up no matter who was pitching.

I was never a huge A-rod fan, but I think he finally removed his head from his rectum and started playing like a team member and it showed. Way to go Yanks!

Bobsbats
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
The next team to have 10-15 year teamates will be the Phillies....:)
Rollins
Howard
Utley
Victorino-Werth-or possibly Hammels ( despite my opinion of him as soft)
Cliff Lee.....although he doesnt have 10 years left, he should retire as a philly

One of those last 3 will still be here.

slidekellyslide
11-05-2009, 10:01 AM
what's the saying? -Consider the source.
Appropriate thread title started by someone who has a history of proudly peddling hot air on here.

At least he didn't issue any death threats with his celebratory post.

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM
At least he didn't issue any death threats with his celebratory post.

Do you know that for a fact? Death threats usually come by email, not on the board!

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The next team to have 10-15 year teamates will be the Phillies....:)
Rollins
Howard
Utley
Victorino-Werth-or possibly Hammels ( despite my opinion of him as soft)
Cliff Lee.....although he doesnt have 10 years left, he should retire as a philly

One of those last 3 will still be here.

I love their mature, veteran core, but few of those you mention have 10 years left. They are all within spitting distance of 30, except for Hamels who's about 26. If they can keep them together, and healthy, for 5 more years that would be great for the team.

Those Yankees mentioned all made their debut in 1995 and the oldest is Rivera who will turn 40 this month. The others are 35-37 years old.

You can never tell what injuries will do though.

calvindog
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Without the late summer pickups of Lee and Pedro it's hard to imagine the Phillies even getting to the WS. My point being that success in one or two years is not guaranteed going forward. I agree the Phils have a great core but they've got some work to do to stay on top in the NL.

murcerfan
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Bruce(s)
we here in the 23rd fart in your general direction....expect more of the same next year.

Jeter is the man....great series for a change....in fact a great run of post-season games.

Kudos to Tigers, twins, Angels, Dodgers and the Phillies (who I expect will run the table next year by adding another starter and a closer)

Anthony S.
11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I just hope Brian Sabean wasn't watching the series, because if he was the Giants are going to offer Hideki Matsui an 8 year, $140 million contract on the first day of free agency.

D. Bergin
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I just hope Brian Sabean wasn't watching the series, because if he was the Giants are going to offer Hideki Matsui an 8 year, $140 million contract on the first day of free agency.

LOL!! :D

I love Hideki but I wouldn't re-sign him unless he comes cheap.

The Mets have always been good at throwing lots of money at DH types to play in the NL.

sbfinley
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
As much as it pains me to say it.... Congratulations to the New York Yankees.
But as I read the original post I could only think back to a classic scene from a great movie.

Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison: Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.

Rickyy
11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I hate the evil empire...but I'm happy my fellow countryman...Godzilla had a monster game....and I can't help but like Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera... :)

Rickyy
11-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Knowing Sabean's mode of operation...so true...:p

milkit1
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Can we get back to asshat please.

vintagewhitesox
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't see the need to rip on the White Sox and their World Series winning manager

:)

Let's Go Go White Sox in 2010.

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
By the way, for anyone who's worried about the Yankees fallen apart next year, they do have $40 million (net) coming off the books next year. Damon, Matsui, Pettitte, Nady and Molina are free agents and they have made their last payment to Giambi.

Many owners would use this opportunity to pocket the money, sell out the Stadium, and make a tidy sum.

I bet the Yankees would prefer to win.

ChiefBenderForever
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
The Yankees are good but the pressure they had this year with the new stadium and Aroid makes what they did amazing, especially after the first game. I guess even the ghost of Ruth couldn't stop the American dream of progress,gluttony, and shear destruction. Congratulations to Girardi,Jeter, and all NYC. All the talk in town is Mauer will be in pinstripes.

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
All the talk in town is Mauer will be in pinstripes.

I hope not and I don't see that happening. Mauer is tied up through next year. He's a free agent for 2011. It will be interesting to see what Twins ownership wants to do. They did step up and give Morneau a longer term, market fair, deal. I hope and think they will do the same with Maurer.

Kenny Cole
11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't guess that Wharton has a class that teaches class. Too bad.

kmac32
11-05-2009, 09:44 PM
The thing I found fun was Johnny Damon has a World Series ring from the Yankees and their rival the Red Sox. Not too many can claim that one.

Neal
11-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Without the late summer pickups of Lee and Pedro it's hard to imagine the Phillies even getting to the WS. My point being that success in one or two years is not guaranteed going forward. I agree the Phils have a great core but they've got some work to do to stay on top in the NL.

but the PHILLIES got those players, much like the Yankees did with CC, AJ, and Tex

Jim VB
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
The thing I found fun was Johnny Damon has a World Series ring from the Yankees and their rival the Red Sox. Not too many can claim that one.

The only two I can think of are Damon and Hinske.

PhilNap
11-05-2009, 10:02 PM

He should take a page from the book of Jeter, Rivera, etc. He could have offered a confident response and not the cocky "5 games, 6 if we're nice". Don't think the Yankees didn't take note of such comments. At least the Redsox and their fans respect that they have a battle on their hands everytime they face the Yankees. The cockiness of Rollins and many Phillies fans just proved to be plain silly.

nolemmings
11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
The only two I can think of are Damon and Hinske.

Ramiro Mendoza --not on the Bosox WS roster, but likely got a ring

tothrk
11-05-2009, 10:27 PM
He should take a page from the book of Jeter, Rivera, etc. He could have offered a confident response and not the cocky "5 games, 6 if we're nice". Don't think the Yankees didn't take note of such comments. At least the Redsox and their fans respect that they have a battle on their hands everytime they face the Yankees. The cockiness of Rollins and many Phillies fans just proved to be plain silly.

Relax. No one is making you have dinner with the guy.

PhilNap
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Relax. No one is making you have dinner with the guy.

Just sayin' J-Roll shoulda kept his mouth shut. Oh well, too bad for him. Works for me though. Yankees Win Thaaaaa Yankees Win !!!!!!

ChiefBenderForever
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Jim,the Twins will pay Mauer the money and I think he will stay but if they don't bring any help besides triple A players he might say no thanks and leave. To play for the Yankees is the greatest challenge in baseball and he might just try it.

thekingofclout
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM

The Bambino won three with the Sox and four with the Yanks...

ullmandds
11-06-2009, 05:30 AM
I was Joe Mauer of the future for halloween this year...mainly to antagonize my fellow Minnesotans...I don't think it will happen, though. If the twins don't pony up the cash to keep Joe...and put some other high caliber talent on the field...they'll never advance past the first round of the playoffs...and there will be mutiny!

howard38
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Wally Schang and Carl Mays and maybe some of the other guys the Sox traded to the Yanks around 1920 have rings w/both teams.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 05:57 AM
At least the Redsox and their fans respect that they have a battle on their hands everytime they face the Yankees. The cockiness of Rollins and many Phillies fans just proved to be plain silly.

I had the fortune of being in Boston during a Yankees/Sox playoff series and in Philadelphia this year during the World Series. The difference between the fans in Philadelphia and Boston is really striking.

barrysloate
11-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Think of poor Mike Mussina. He joined the Yankees in 2001 and retired in 2008. He missed all the championships by one year on either end.

J.McMurry
11-06-2009, 06:15 AM
If the Phils would have had better pitching they might have made it at least a 7 game series,but they were certainly the best team the National league had to put up against the Yanks this year.

some on here have said that they dont care for the modern game of baseball,but they love collecting pre-war BB cards. I'm like that in the fact that I dislike the modern day Yankees (except Jeter), but I love anything "historical" * Yankees and NYC. go figure.

* "historical" = pre 1970

Jay Wolt
11-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Think of poor Mike Mussina. He joined the Yankees in 2001 and retired in 2008. He missed all the championships by one year on either end.
I was thinking about the Moose too!
He retired last year after his 1st 20 win season, so if he chose to
he would have been welcome to join the team at the new stadium.
BUT it might have been at the expense of the Yankees signing Pettitte.

whycough
11-06-2009, 07:52 AM
The Yanks: $201,449,000 The Phils: $113,004,000 Big win there also, Yankee fans.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
The Yanks: $201,449,000 The Phils: $113,004,000 Big win there also, Yankee fans.

Yeah, why even play the games? After all, in a best of 7 series, the most expensive players always play the best.

whycough
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Jeff: All Yankee fans love to pooh pooh the advantage of the Yankee spending. You claim that the highest priced players don't always play the best, so why do the Yanks pay them? To cover up for poor management? To cover up insecurity? To level the playing field and be good sports?

sportscardtheory
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Ever wonder why people hate Yankees fans so much? This douchey thread shows why.

Leon
11-06-2009, 08:38 AM

$88,000,000 here, $88,000,000 there, can start to add up. :confused:

JasonL
11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I have to say that I try to have an open mind, but hear me out on this series of thoughts.
I grew up in Chicago, and I am a lifelong Cubs fan. I know suffering. I know what it is to appreciate a winning season. The couple of trips to the playoffs that I have witnessed were very special.
I have never liked the Yankees, but I have never disliked them with any true intensity either.
Until I moved out East. And I met the Yankee culture and the Mission Statement that explains any season without a title as a failure. I find that to be excessively hardcore and borderline subpar sportsmanship. Don't misunderstand - I get winning, and I certainly understand goals.
But in this case I also find it to be a gross perversion of your objective, because in a major league sport, the quality and success of your competition is important to your livelihood. This is different than the business world, so while many want to link the two and ask the skeptic "Why wouldn't you do everything you can to win?" - the real question at this point for the Yankees may be something closer to "Are we doing something special?" and I would argue that you most certainly are not doing something special. Not anymore. You are doing something rather ordinary. Since their first title, I think they've won nearly a third of the time.

Hearing the media and the fan base praise this team and this championship just rings so holllow, doesn't it? I mean, they've won 27 of these now, they have the highest payroll in the game that is designed to bring in a squad of mercenaries, and the only expectation is to win everything, all the time, all year long, and every year thereafter. So where's the upside in being a Yankees fan? think about it. All you've got is downside. What fun is that?

It's still an accomplishment. But it was an accomplishment that was paid for in full and fully expected.
YAWN! so what.
you know what I mean? It just seems so silly to celebrate this team and yet another championship with such wild enthusiasm.
I know I look at this with an outsider's lens, and from that of someone who hasn't won in a beyond overdue timeframe, so it's probably fair and right to call me a jealous loser. True enough.
But just so you know, Yankees fans, this looks totally absurd and disconnected with reality from the outside.

No offense meant. honest.
Just some frustrated thoughts from someone who must look into vintage cardboard and research to find a year when his team looked like a champion.

Jim VB
11-06-2009, 09:34 AM

I don't understand your meaning. Would you be happier if the Yankees kept their payroll at $115 million (or some other abritrary number) and just made an additional $85 million in bottom line profit? Should the money just go to George rather than the players?

The fact is that Steinbrenner has built a business that generates more revenue than his competitors. It wasn't that way when he bought the team.

The best players want to go to the Yankees because, yes, they know they'll make the best money in the business, but more because they know they'll be expected to win, AND they know that management will give them every chance to win, every year.

There are many other owners who have more money than the Steinbrenner family. They just choose to not spend it on their baseball teams. That's their choice, but the fans pay the price.

Anyway, if you don't like this system, suggest an alternative.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Amazing that the Yankees don't spread the wealth around to the other teams (oh wait, they do!) so that they reduce their chances of winning. You'd think that in today's society the Steinbrenners would be more sensitive to the plights of the other billionaire owners.

base_ball
11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
"It's not if you win or lose, it's how you march in the parade."

calvindog
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Jason, I'm not a Yankee fan so I can appreciate your points. Being a Yankee fan is probably more stressful than being a Cubs fan because the Yankees actually are expected to win as opposed to being mired in a culture of failure. I guess it depends on how you look at life: expecting success at every turn can be stressful but one tends to achieve success more often; hoping for the best but being at peace with failure usually produces the opposite results. Of course a zillion dollar payroll does help the former philosophy off the ground.

But to think that the Yankees are the only team which hires mercenaries is just not true as you fully know. Hell, the Brewers traded for Sabbathia last year just to get them into the playoffs. The Phillies did it this year with Pedro and Cliff Lee. At least the Yankees kept their team intact at the trading deadline and didn't have major contributors join the team with two months left in the season.

Jim VB
11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Amazing that the Yankees don't spread the wealth around to the other teams (oh wait, they do!) so that they reduce their chances of winning. You'd think that in today's society the Steinbrenners would be more sensitive to the plights of the other billionaire owners.

There is not widespread demand for additional revenue sharing because the lower level team don't want to be forced to actually spend the money they receive.

The current system has two components revenue sharing: national TV money and a luxury tax. This creates a financial dis-incentive for bad teams to get better. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Florida and KC, for example, have most of their payroll covered by shared money. If I remember right, the Pirates, playing in a new, publicly funded stadium, make a profit before they sell even one ticket. Their payroll is lower than the amount of money they receive from the league. Yet each season, we hear that they must sell or trade their best players for financial reasons.

Take a page from European League Soccer.

I would consider taking the 30 MLB teams and putting them in two divisions. A 20 team Major League and a 10 team "AAAA" league. Each year, let the top two "AAAA" teams move up and the bottom two Major League teams move down. The lower league gets no national TV games (or money). They get no All-Stars. They get their own playoffs, but no shot at a World Series, just their own league championship.

Then you'll see who wants to get better. They bad owners, who don't care, will be out in no time.

JasonL
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Jason, I'm not a Yankee fan so I can appreciate your points. Being a Yankee fan is probably more stressful than being a Cubs fan because the Yankees actually are expected to win as opposed to being mired in a culture of failure. I guess it depends on how you look at life: expecting success at every turn can be stressful but one tends to achieve success more often; hoping for the best but being at peace with failure usually produces the opposite results. Of course a zillion dollar payroll does help the former philosophy off the ground.

But to think that the Yankees are the only team which hires mercenaries is just not true as you fully know. Hell, the Brewers traded for Sabbathia last year just to get them into the playoffs. The Phillies did it this year with Pedro and Cliff Lee. At least the Yankees kept their team intact at the trading deadline and didn't have major contributors join the team with two months left in the season.

to see that they tried to keep the team intact and win with what they had...and it worked. And yes, everyone hires the big guns, or tries to if they can. Your thoughts on stress and success are spot on, of course. Perhaps that is why the Cubs have such a huge fan base...being a Cubs fan is about more than just winning a game or a season. It's not the win that defines you, it's the experience.

I will say this, though, and it runs a little counter to my original post...but then again maybe it doesn't. I enjoyed this year's team more than I have in the past, as they actually seemed to form a team, and I enjoyed the pies in the face and any sign that they had individual personalities. That stuff resonates more with me, as a fan.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Jason, I agree regarding this year's Yankee team: they were likeable. Even ARod with all the crap he went through actually seemed human; I was thrilled that he did well. As a Dodgers fan growing up I loathed the Yankees in the late 70s because they were easy to hate (any team with Reggie is especially easy to hate). This year's team seemed to have a lot of fun and was filled with regular guys who played hard. Look at Mark Teixeira: has there ever been a zillionaire baseball player who is so likeable? (Apologies to Oriole and Sox fans, of course)

Peter_Spaeth
11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Why would you be thrilled that an admitted steroid-user, a guy who cheated serially on his wife, a guy whose self-centeredness knows no bounds, did well?:confused::confused:

forazzurri2axz
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
...you would have turned in your parents for a quarter.---and maybe a boxing card of Schmeling.--your stupidity makes our stomachs turn.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Why would you be thrilled that an admitted steroid-user, a guy who cheated serially on his wife, a guy whose self-centeredness knows no bounds, did well?:confused::confused:

That sounds like a description of half the guys on the Red Sox last championship team! :) Seriously, I felt bad for the guy; he was just pathetic and was clearly suffering. How often can one witness a career renaissance in just a three week period?

slidekellyslide
11-06-2009, 01:54 PM
...you would have turned in your parents for a quarter.---and maybe a boxing card of Schmeling.--your stupidity makes our stomachs turn.

If I had known that Dorskind was that hardcore of a Yankees fan I'd have told him before the last election that the Yankees only win World Series when the White House is occupied by Democrats....at least that has been true for their last 9 World Series wins.

I'm almost certain this little factoid will sway him to vote Obama in 2012. :D

autograf
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Another drive by posting by Bruce..........he comes here and makes an inflammatory post and then never revisits the train wreck..............predictable..........probably just sitting back stroking his white cat in his grey jumpsuit right now..........

JasonL
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Another drive by posting by Bruce..........he comes here and makes an inflammatory post and then never revisits the train wreck..............predictable..........probably just sitting back stroking his white cat in his grey jumpsuit right now..........

talking to #2

Chris Counts
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Dan, the Yankees didn't do too bad under Franklin D. Roosevelt as well, winning six World Series, including the all-time mark of four in a row ...

Peter_Spaeth
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
That sounds like a description of half the guys on the Red Sox last championship team! :) Seriously, I felt bad for the guy; he was just pathetic and was clearly suffering. How often can one witness a career renaissance in just a three week period?

The dude is his own worst enemy and has exhibited bad character on far too many occasions for me to feel badly for him, even leaving aside that it's generally hard to feel sorry for someone that rich and talented.

tbob
11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
As a lifelong Yankee fan, we take great pleasure in our latest victory.

Shouldn't it be "As lifelong Yankee fanS, we take great pleasure in our latest victory?" Otherwise you are referring not to your Dorskind group but using the royal "we" and looking silly.

Anthony S.
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Shouldn't it be "As lifelong Yankee fanS, we take great pleasure in our latest victory?" Otherwise you are referring not to your Dorskind group but using the royal "we" and looking silly.

Multiple Personality Disorder can be very taxing on proper grammatical usage.

ChiefBenderForever
11-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Money can buy a lot of things but it can't buy you love,and can't buy championships.

HRBAKER
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM

Maybe during his tenure he didn't concentrate on grammar.

Republicaninmass
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Money cant buy everything, but it can buy something big enough to pull up next to it

tedzan
11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Since a recent comparison was alluded to in a prior post here....here is the rest of the history....
of the Yankees AL Championships vs. U.S. Presidents.

World Series Champs annotated by **

1921......Harding (Republican)
1922......Harding (Republican)
1923......Coolidge (Republican) **
1926......Coolidge (Republican)
1927......Coolidge (Republican) **
1928......Coolidge (Republican) **
1932......Hoover (Republican) **
1936......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1937......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1938......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1939......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1941......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1942......Roosevelt (Democrat)
1943......Roosevelt (Democrat) **
1947......Truman (Democrat) **
1949......Truman (Democrat) **
1950......Truman (Democrat) **
1951......Truman (Democrat) **
1952......Truman (Democrat) **
1953......Eisenhower (Republican) **
1955......Eisenhower (Republican)
1956......Eisenhower (Republican) **
1957......Eisenhower (Republican)
1958......Eisenhower (Republican) **
1960......Eisenhower (Republican)
1961......Kennedy (Democrat) **
1962......Kennedy (Democrat) **
1963......Kennedy (Democrat)
1964......Johnson (Democrat)
1976......Ford (Republican)
1977......Carter (Democrat) **
1978......Carter (Democrat) **
1981......Carter (Democrat)
1996......Clinton (Democrat) **
1998......Clinton (Democrat) **
1999......Clinton (Democrat) **
2000......Clinton (Democrat) **
2001......Bush (Republican)
2003......Bush (Republican)
2009......Obama (Democrat) **

AL Championships = 40
World Series Championships = 27

TED Z

prewarsports
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Money CAN buy you championships.

Give the Royals Half a Billion Dollars to sign all the big free agents over the next few years and I bet they become one of the elite in Baseball.

calvindog
11-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Are there any fans of any team but the Yankees that don't wish their team could and would spend all the money needed to win a championship?

baseballart
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I can think of a few fans ;-)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_km0P9GhY_CE/SK7cHjTlweI/AAAAAAAAAt4/_QTTv8E_DDY/s400/040825_cubaBaseball_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

Jim VB
11-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Money CAN buy you championships.

Give the Royals Half a Billion Dollars to sign all the big free agents over the next few years and I bet they become one of the elite in Baseball.

Well, when Royal fans begin to show up to the games in the numbers the Yankee fans do; when they show a willingness to pay the same ticket prices; and/or watch the games on TV and attract advertising revenue at the same rate the Yankees do; then you have a right to complain.

However, they have never done that. The team just collects the revenue sharing and luxury tax money and pockets it.

Small market teams can, and do, compete in MLB. Twins seem to do a great job of it every year.

Edited to add: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/132600

Read the first article. I bet KC clears enough from MLB and revenue sharing and luxury tax money to cover their entire payroll.

Stop using money as an excuse for poor management.

sbfinley
11-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Well, when Royal fans begin to show up to the games in the numbers the Yankee fans do; when they show a willingness to pay the same ticket prices; and/or watch the games on TV and attract advertising revenue at the same rate the Yankees do; then you have a right to complain.

However, they have never done that. The team just collects the revenue sharing and luxury tax money and pockets it.

Small market teams can, and do, compete in MLB. Twins seem to do a great job of it every year.

Edited to add: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/132600

Read the first article. I bet KC clears enough from MLB and revenue sharing and luxury tax money to cover their entire payroll.

Stop using money as an excuse for poor management.

You can blame poor management all day. But do not blame KC fans.

Jim VB
11-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I would never blame the fans directly for the problems of the team. I only ascribe "blame" to them in that they have accepted the status quo and are still willing to allow management to continue down the same paths.

I have respect for all fans, but especially like those, like the season ticket holders of the Cleveland Browns, who try to fight back.

Back in the early 1970's, Steinbrenner bought a team that was in total disarray. They had been bad for 10 years. They lost money. They didn't sell a lot of tickets. They put a poor product on the field. He invested his own money and took big dollar chances. Some worked out fine. Some he was forced to eat. He built the Yankees back to a financial powerhouse.

Fast forward 35+ years and he has the highest revenue team in the league. They draw in the neighborhood of 4,000,000 fans a year, despite ridiculous ticket prices. They have the richest TV deal of any team. And they are a team that expects to be competitive, if not win, every year.

I've asked this before and no Yankee haters ever answer, but what should he do with the money coming in? He continues to plow it back into the team. Should he just hoard it? Should he just record the profit and move on? Or should he continue to demand excellence from his players, coaches and team administration?

He already contributes big dollars ($40.0 - $50.0 million a year) into the weaker teams in the league. Many of them (not all) just sit on it. In 2003, the Marlins used something like $10.0 million (George's luxury tax money) to bring their entire organization and their families up to NY for the World Series (two trips). Yet when the season was over, they had to break up the team for financial reasons.

Look at this spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ew-fwu2XT3cpPRtt9qIGw

Three and four years out, some of these teams have zero payroll obligations! Their management thinks this is the way to run a sound business? The fans should be outraged.

(By the way, this spreadsheet and many more can be found at:
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/new-york-yankees_111398168678860040.html

It's a terrific site that allows you to look, in detail at the salary set-up ov every team.)

barrysloate
11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
It's hard to argue with the Yankees' success this year. They seemed to do everything right. The three big acquisitions were among the best in one season in baseball history. The team was exciting to watch and won with great regularity. Even if you don't like the Yankees, and see them as a bunch of bullies, they had a magnificent year.

And it would be nice, and in fact should be mandatory, that if small market teams collect luxury taxes from the Yankees and the like, they should not pocket that money but use it to improve the team. I'm sure the spirit of the luxury tax was to keep some semblance of competitive balance, and not just make those owners a little richer.

Jim VB
11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree Barry. Look at these stats.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Income_1.html

Now I know that this is from the 2005 season, but I haven't found any more recent numbers. Generally speaking, the most profitable teams are those that lose. The winning teams tend to break even or lose money.

So I guess, before we attack ownership, you have to ask, do we as fans applaud well run (read: financially profitable) businesses, or should we applaud winning.

Obviously, many owners would prefer to line their pockets, while pleading poverty and continue to lose.

barrysloate
11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Jim- here's my solution to the problem:

Let's say the Yankees owe the Kansas City Royals $2 million in luxury tax. The money should be put in an escrow account, to be used towards a contract for a free agent. If the team can't negotiate a deal they like, the money stays in the account and more money is added the following year. Then the team could have $4 million available towards securing a player.

The whole point of the luxury tax is to create as much competitive balance as possible, so the team receiving it has to demonstrate to the league that that is what it is being used for. Just accepting free money to line one's pockets is a form of Socialism, don't you think?:rolleyes:

HRBAKER
11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Jim- here's my solution to the problem:

Let's say the Yankees owe the Kansas City Royals $2 million in luxury tax. The money should be put in an escrow account, to be used towards a contract for a free agent. If the team can't negotiate a deal they like, the money stays in the account and more money is added the following year. Then the team could have $4 million available towards securing a player.

The whole point of the luxury tax is to create as much competitive balance as possible, so the team receiving it has to demonstrate to the league that that is what it is being used for. Just accepting free money to line one's pockets is a form of Socialism, don't you think?:rolleyes:

Barry,
I agree these small market teams which get the stipend from the luxury tax should have to show where it has been spent before they see a dime.
Jeff

Potomac Yank
11-07-2009, 11:27 AM

As a fan that had the privilege of watching Keller, DiMag and Henrich patrol the outfield, at the old ball orchard in Da Bronx ..... I agree with everything ced by the guy from Da Bronx.

I salute the formidable Philly team, and their fans.
It could've gone either way.
It wouldn't surprise me if we have a rematch.

As for the author of this thread.
Some people love being wrong ... but this guy loves being wrong LOUD!

calvindog
11-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Guys, your proposal would make total sense if in fact all of the teams' owners actually wanted to win more than make money.

barrysloate
11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Doesn't winning make money for a team? What's the downside?

Jim VB
11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Doesn't winning make money for a team? What's the downside?

It's a very complicated answer. Much depends upon your definition of "making money."

Steinbrenner bought the team in 1973 for $10 million. Estimates are that they are currently worth a little over $1 billion, so that's pretty good money. But, many years, they are cash flow negative. That possibility scares the bejesus out of some owners.

It seems to me that you can make money by winning, and you can make money by losing big and collecting the most money from revenue sharing and luxury taxes, but somewhere in the middle is a dead zone where you don't win enough to profit but don't suck enough to collect big dollars.

This "sea of mediocrity" is where you get killed. (I've heard that term somewhere before...)

But trying to win has it's risks. Spending money alone does not guarantee winning. So if your fans tolerate losing, that's the safer course.

Edited to add: The other thing to consider is that every year, only a couple of teams win enough to be successful, but lots of teams can stink it up.

barrysloate
11-07-2009, 03:45 PM
If somebody buys a baseball team with no intention of putting together the best possible ball club, they should kick his sorry butt out of the league.

Jim VB
11-07-2009, 04:51 PM
If somebody buys a baseball team with no intention of putting together the best possible ball club, they should kick his sorry butt out of the league.

I agree, but there are about 20 of those guys in MLB right now.

tbob
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Then you have the richest family of owners, the Pohlads, who run the Twins and we all know what kind of a payroll they have.
As far as accepting the luxury tax and other shared monies, many of the smaller market teams use that money not for signing free agents or keeping the players they have by paying them more to keep them from leaving, but plunge it in to their farm systems to pay scouts, sign draftees, and pay for their minor league franchises to keep them afloat.

Al C.risafulli
11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Ever wonder why people hate Yankees fans so much? This douchey thread shows why.

Aside from the initial post, I see nothing douchey about this thread that would cause one to hate Yankee fans. I do see a lot of complaining from people who root for teams that don't win, though, largely due to their tiny payrolls.

Jim has it nailed. There are teams that are profitable BECAUSE of the revenue-sharing money produced by the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers (last number I read was actually $77 million paid out by the Yankees alone).

Baseball also shares its merchandise revenue. Every time a kid buys a Jeter jersey, the Florida Marlins benefit as much as the Yankees do. I believe each team received $3 million last year from merch revenue; Nick Swisher cost the Yankees $5 million.

What confuses me the most about all the anti-Yankee, big-dollar, high-payroll sentiment is the strange idea that this is some new phenomenon, some weird, "modern baseball" thing that's a result of free agency or George Steinbrenner or something.

The Yankees have won 27 championships overall. The first 20 all came in the 41 seasons between 1923 and 1964, and the last 7 have come in the 45 years since. The Yankees have ALWAYS been dominant, certainly more so in the old days than today.

If Babe Ruth played today, baseball fans would hate him and say things like "I don't understand how anyone could root for a fat, womanizing, alcohol-abusing, egotistical dirtbag who cheats on his wife." But since Babe played in the 1920s and 30s, we look back on him fondly and wish that baseball had some kind of rules to prevent the Yankees from outspending every other team the way they do today.

The problem with this is that the Yankees of yesteryear were more dominant, filled with more superstars, with more of a disparity between the Yankees and the other teams. How else do you explain the Yankee championship runs of the 1930s and 1950s?

If you look at the bottom 10 teams in terms of 2009 attendance, here's what you get: Oakland, Florida, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington, Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Baltimore. Four of these teams didn't even EXIST prior to 1977. I believe that eight of them - EIGHT - are playing in (relatively) new or renovated ballparks. None of them drew more than 24,000 fans a game in 2009.

How is it that teams that can't even get 25,000 fans in the park are able to build new ballparks, and continue to exist? How is it that the Kansas City Royals - who have managed to play .500 ball just ONCE in the past TEN seasons - can continue to exist? How can the Kansas City Royals stay in existence, renovate their ballpark, not win more than 83 games in ANY season since 1994, draw 23,000 fans a game, and yet still remain a viable business?

Thank the Yankees and their giant payroll. And who did the Royals spend their free agent money on in 2009? Kyle Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, Willie Bloomquist, Horacio Ramirez, and John Bale. Great personnel decisions. Blame the Yankees.

The Cleveland Indians played at the same ballpark in the late 90s when they were selling out every game and winning the division (made the postseason 6 out of 7 seasons between 1995 and 2001). In 2009 they drew 21,500 fans a game, losing 97 games and finishing 21.5 games behind the Twins.

That's the Yankees' fault?

Sorry, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. The Yankees spend money on players and are committed to win. As sports fans, somehow we look fondly at Vince Lombardi's "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing," but disparage Steinbrenner for having the same attitude.

Not me.

-Al

toppcat
11-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Totally agree with Al. As a Mets fan, my team had the same opportunity to sign the guys the Yanks did for the most part but did not. Now Johan vs. CC is a wash I guess but I would have taken Texeira or A-Rod in a heartbeat. MLB needs a minimum cap (plug?) too.

Jim VB
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
The Cleveland Indians played at the same ballpark in the late 90s when they were selling out every game and winning the division (made the postseason 6 out of 7 seasons between 1995 and 2001). In 2009 they drew 21,500 fans a game, losing 97 games and finishing 21.5 games behind the Twins.

-Al

At separate times during the World Series I was struck by some random thoughts about this subject.

During the opening game when it was Lee vs. Sabathia, and they were dueling it out to show who was the better pitcher, I couldn't help but think: 1) How did Cleveland have both these guys on the same staff and still lose? and 2) How did management let them go for basically pennies on the dollar in return?

During a later game the situation arose with Chan Ho Park on the mound, Teixeira at the plate and Arod on deck. All former Texas Rangers, and hated in this part of the country, but all still playing baseball in November, while their former team mates are playing golf.

Why did all these guys leave their teams? Most didn't leave for money. They left because they wanted to win, and that wasn't going to happen during their career with their old teams.

I live in Texas, but any Ranger fan who doesn't hate this management is crazy. Same with Cleveland. You will get from ownership what your dollars demand.

barrysloate
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds like major league baseball has some real issues. It's competition which makes the league successful and attracts fans. If some organizations are playing to win, and others are just going through the motions, the end result is a crappy product.

For the record we are now watching the Knicks and the Nets going through the motions. I don't know how I am going to be able to watch either of them this season.

baseballart
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Back in the early 1970's, Steinbrenner bought a team that was in total disarray. They had been bad for 10 years. They lost money. They didn't sell a lot of tickets. They put a poor product on the field. He invested his own money and took big dollar chances. Some worked out fine. Some he was forced to eat. He built the Yankees back to a financial powerhouse.

Interestingly (or not), this self-published book was written in 1971, when Horace Clarke and Gene Michael were in their prime. (I don't hate the Yankees, for the record) However, as has been pointed out, baseball has had the "haves" and the "have-nots" for a long time--back into the 19th century. Strange that this book was published in the middle of the Yankees' lethargy

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/184823554_a851fcd790_o.jpg

One thought that came from Bill Veeck was that there should be no long term contracts and players should be free agents every year. I wonder if that would increase or decrease the level of competition among the teams.

Max

Jim VB
11-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Max,

You're going to have to let me know how that book turns out. I just checked Amazon. They do have one copy available. Asking price is $1,000. Sorry, I don't have Steinbrenner-like money!

To Veeck's thought. I think it would be worse than ever if everything was one year deals. When the Yankee's make a mistake, and they often do, they have to pay dearly for it. That's a good thing for competition.

With all one year deals, I think there would be even more movement, and I think the primary driver for premium player movement is the desire to win. The owners may not care, but the best players do.

howard38
11-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I think it was Charlie Finley who suggested players should become free agents after every season.

sportscardtheory
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Aside from the initial post, I see nothing douchey about this thread that would cause one to hate Yankee fans. I do see a lot of complaining from people who root for teams that don't win, though, largely due to their tiny payrolls.

Jim has it nailed. There are teams that are profitable BECAUSE of the revenue-sharing money produced by the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers (last number I read was actually $77 million paid out by the Yankees alone).

Baseball also shares its merchandise revenue. Every time a kid buys a Jeter jersey, the Florida Marlins benefit as much as the Yankees do. I believe each team received $3 million last year from merch revenue; Nick Swisher cost the Yankees $5 million.

What confuses me the most about all the anti-Yankee, big-dollar, high-payroll sentiment is the strange idea that this is some new phenomenon, some weird, "modern baseball" thing that's a result of free agency or George Steinbrenner or something.

The Yankees have won 27 championships overall. The first 20 all came in the 41 seasons between 1923 and 1964, and the last 7 have come in the 45 years since. The Yankees have ALWAYS been dominant, certainly more so in the old days than today.

If Babe Ruth played today, baseball fans would hate him and say things like "I don't understand how anyone could root for a fat, womanizing, alcohol-abusing, egotistical dirtbag who cheats on his wife." But since Babe played in the 1920s and 30s, we look back on him fondly and wish that baseball had some kind of rules to prevent the Yankees from outspending every other team the way they do today.

The problem with this is that the Yankees of yesteryear were more dominant, filled with more superstars, with more of a disparity between the Yankees and the other teams. How else do you explain the Yankee championship runs of the 1930s and 1950s?

If you look at the bottom 10 teams in terms of 2009 attendance, here's what you get: Oakland, Florida, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington, Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Baltimore. Four of these teams didn't even EXIST prior to 1977. I believe that eight of them - EIGHT - are playing in (relatively) new or renovated ballparks. None of them drew more than 24,000 fans a game in 2009.

How is it that teams that can't even get 25,000 fans in the park are able to build new ballparks, and continue to exist? How is it that the Kansas City Royals - who have managed to play .500 ball just ONCE in the past TEN seasons - can continue to exist? How can the Kansas City Royals stay in existence, renovate their ballpark, not win more than 83 games in ANY season since 1994, draw 23,000 fans a game, and yet still remain a viable business?

Thank the Yankees and their giant payroll. And who did the Royals spend their free agent money on in 2009? Kyle Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, Willie Bloomquist, Horacio Ramirez, and John Bale. Great personnel decisions. Blame the Yankees.

That's the Yankees' fault?

Sorry, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. The Yankees spend money on players and are committed to win. As sports fans, somehow we look fondly at Vince Lombardi's "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing," but disparage Steinbrenner for having the same attitude.

Not me.

-Al

I was talking about the OP. I don't dislike the Yankees, but a lot of their fans leave a LOT to be desired in a fan... like the OP.

Jim VB
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I was talking about the OP. I don't dislike the Yankees, but a lot of their fans leave a LOT to be desired in a fan... like the OP.

Speaking only for myself, most Yankee fans are no different than fans of other teams. We run a pretty normal bell curve.

You can also be assured that, Yankee fan or not, you will have consensus in your categorization of the OP. It takes all kinds.

Bobsbats
11-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Al, I couldn't agree with you more on most of your points. I am a huge Phillies fan and for years we were told that we were a " small" market team. What we were was a team that suffered from a small market mentality. With a payroll of @140 million now and the stadium almost a sellout every night, they can't claim that anymore. To get to your point about hating the Yankees, I think its the smugness of the fans.....yeah a guy from Philly is knocking someone elses fans, but thats what it is. All you hear is the national broadcast (dont get me started on that lovefest) is 27 championships, every trivia question is a Yankees answer.....Tim McCarver swinging from the jockstrap of every Yankees player. Its enough. Its like a Cowboys fan...havent won a playoff game since 1996, but when you ask them about last year they can't remember, but they can remember the super bowls.

Every team wants their ownership to spend tons of money, some do it right (Twins),some do it wrong (Mets), but every fan wants, what the Yankees do...and thats spend money.

Go Phillies ....next year

howard38
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
What do trivia questions and Tim McCarver have to do with the smugness of Yankee fans? The fact that the media constantly trumpets the Yankees is not the doing of the fans.

Bobsbats
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Howard, your right....I should not have merged the two. The only area that it can be slightly relevant, is when everyone in the media hypes the Yankees, and people get sick and tired of it....but YOUR right...that has nothing to do with the FANS.

baseballart
11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Max,

You're going to have to let me know how that book turns out. I just checked Amazon. They do have one copy available. Asking price is $1,000. Sorry, I don't have Steinbrenner-like money!

I haven't finished it, but I'm expect it will have something along the lines of "I am a more antique Roman than a Dane..."

tedzan
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
This comment by Al C.ristafulli really reflects the times we live in........

"" If Babe Ruth played today, baseball fans would hate him and say things like "I don't understand how anyone
could root for a fat, womanizing, alcohol-abusing, egotistical dirtbag who cheats on his wife." ""

However, I remember kinder times.

Since 1947, as a 9 year old, I've rooted for the Yankees (we lived 2 blocks away from Phil Rizzuto in Hillside, NJ).
I have been truly fortunate to see some of the greatest players, play some great games in the post-WWII era....
Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Johnny Mize, Mantle, Mays, Snider, Banks, Aaron, Clemente, , etc., etc.
Some great pitchers....Feller, Roberts, Spahn, Koufax, Gibson, Reynolds, Ford, and Don Larsen's Perfect Game.

Having said all that, I can tell you that every Fall, us kids (and later as teenagers) would enthusiastically root for
our favorite teams. In our neighborhood there were fans of the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, Cardinals, Indians....and,
I was the lone Yankees fan.

As you know, from 1947 to 1958, the Yankees won 10 A.L. pennants and 8 World Series. My neighborhood friends
did not detest the Yankees, the likes of what you see nowadays......Why so ?......
Reflecting back on those times, the Yankees team consisted of, not one, but several "Derek Jeter's". Berra, Bobby
Brown, Joe DiMaggio, Henrich, Ellie Howard, Keller, Mantle, Mize, Rizzuto. Everyone, regardless team favorite, had
a lot of respect for these guys and their work ethic. Another factor in this equation was Casey Stengel....you just
couldn't help but like this guy.
Conversely, I had great respect for Aaron, Hodges, Matthews, Mays, Reese, J Robby, Snider, Bobby Thomson, etc.

I guess we were young and had not yet learned to detest others. We did not play organized Little League BB. We
formed our own BB games, or played "stickball" every day. Furthermore, we were collecting some real cool BB cards
of our favorites....thanks to the Bowman Gum Co. and Topps.

Indeed, those were tremendous times.

TED Z

mightyq
11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
sorry to burst your bubble bob stats, but yankess fans think that buck and mcarver are anti-yankee's...why is it ok to bring up their 04 4 game collapse against the redsox and not their championship record?? dont they go hand in hand? if anyone listened to the "wfan" during the playoffs you would have a heard a ton of yankee fans calling in and complaining about buck and mcarver. on why they bring up past failures. to me thats part of doing your job, bringing up failures and acievements. btw didnt philly fans boo mike schmidt his whole carrer? think about that. mike schmidt the best third baseman of all time.

dstudeba
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM

I don't think there is a single owner out there who doesn't try to put together the best possible club within their financial constraints.

calvindog
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think there is a single owner out there who doesn't try to put together the best possible club within their financial constraints.

Obviously. But every owner has a different set of standards as to what their financial constraints are. Some want to spend every last dollar on their teams and others don't. To many this is simply a business in which the bottom line is all that matters. Being competitive, to some owners, is enough.