PDA

View Full Version : A con in the making?

Theoldprofessor
11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I need the advice of those of you who have seen it all. About three weeks ago I found a card on eBay, and rather than buying it outright, I made a lower offer. The "Make an Offer" option was available.

My offer was accepted. I was ready to pay by PayPal, only to be told that the seller's account had been "temporarily" suspended. He asked if iI could send a check. I did, he cashed it, but after a week or so the card hadn't yet appeared in the mail.

I emailed the guy, letting him know that I could document the entire exchange between us, asking that he remove the card from sale and send it to me now. He answered that he " remembered" the transaction, that he was "sincerely sorry," and that he ... had a lot going on and simply overlooked this." The card, he said, would be coming "ASAP"

A day or so after I received his answer, I checked his gallery. The card is still being advertized on eBay. Same deal. BIN price, and "Make an Offer."

I wrote him again, and asked that he take the card down by noon tomorrow (Monday), send it to me so it arrives by Wednesday, and tell eBay the story, copy to me.

Has this sort of thing played out before? In those instances, was it a scam?

The money is a relatively small amount, and not worth worrying about, but if he gets away with it here, it happens again, this time maybe to somebody who can't afford to take the hit.

Suggestions?

Leon
11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Can you tell us what his feedback was like and what kind of items he normally sells? Sometimes that can be telltale.....

Theoldprofessor
11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Feedback = 100% Curently selling 5 pages of bb cards. I was encouraged by those things too. In fact, that's why I made the deal.

forazzurri2axz
11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I have heard that in a number of cases letting the seller/scam artist know that your next two calls are to the local post office and sheriff's office that the package is on it's way rather quickly.....if not, you probably ain't getting it

Theoldprofessor
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Blair;

For some reason the link needed to respond to you privately is down. But your guess was correct. Thanks for the information.

Bob

ChiefBenderForever
11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Email him again asking if he sent it. If you don't hear back and don't get the card in a week and he still has the card up for sale, buy it at the listed price, mark as payment sent, and give him a neg if you don't get the card.

Theoldprofessor
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks to everybody who helped resolve this dilemma, especially to Blair. I got the card without further difficulty, and the seller even thanked me for the heads up that the card was still listed on eBay, although it had already been sold.

Thanks again.

Bob

Bosox Blair
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks to everybody who helped resolve this dilemma, especially to Blair. I got the card without further difficulty, and the seller even thanked me for the heads up that the card was still listed on eBay, although it had already been sold.

Thanks again.

Bob

You are most welcome, Bob! Glad everything worked out.