PDA

View Full Version : PSA Slabs

Batter67up
10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I read a thread a couple of weeks ago talking about counterfit PSA cases. I have attached a picture of a PSA card that is for sale on ebay. The back of the slab has the PSA writing in white and there is a Collectors Universe prism sticker on the right side. Is this an official PSA slab or a counterfit.

kylebicking
10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Can we see a scan of the front?

Batter67up
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Here is a picture of the front. The seller has items up for bid, but I pulled this card up from one of his previous cards sold on ebay.

leadoff4
10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't recall the card # and the grade being offset like that. I thought they were directly under each other. The cert. # also looks like rather small font. I'm definitely not an expert. The card does look like a "5" though. Not sure why you'd waste a fake slab on a PSA 5 '61 Koufax.

kylebicking
10-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Doesn't look right to me. Go with one of these instead:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=psa+5+1961+sandy&_sacat=See-All-Categories

smtjoy
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Too many red flags for me, I would stay away.

JasonL
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
bar code is wrong size, and picture doesn't include entire slab, so there's a possibility for evident frosting to be hidden from view.

could be the photo glare, but the car looks almost belached or something...image is too white.

I'm not an expert on these Koufax cards, but I wouldn't have chosen this particular one to buy...just too nervous, personally.

onlychild
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Is this an official PSA slab or a counterfeit.

Well, the slab looks real and so does the flip but the front printing is not even close....unless it's an old grade and someone at PSA was high. Looks to be another case of an erased and reprinted original.

Flip Altering Info (http://www.alteredcards.com/flip2.htm)

As mentioned a few years ago, flip and slab doctoring will be the new way to rip off collectors. It was just a matter of time and now we are seeing it more often than we would like. Thankfully, now many are obvious but in time this too will change as the doctors hone their skills. PSA is well aware of the security breach and did and continues to do nothing about it.

Kevin Saucier

cozmokramer
10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
The front looks bad.... the back looks good.

Older PSA cases all had backs with that hologram and writing