PDA

View Full Version : 1908-09 Rose Company Postcard Pfeffer PC760 Find

khughesprime
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Alright - looks like I found a neat place. I'm hoping to get some help. Thanks in advance.

Several years ago before I quit collecting (for all the reasons you have all heard) I scored a then uncatalogued Big Jeff Pfeffer PC760 postcard from ebay. I was into collecting whatever early cards I could find at a decent price and it was listed without the recognition so I was excited to find a possible 1 of 1. I contacted Beckett via email including a scan w/o a response.

I have done nothing to it since but I want to find more info if possible. I know these are the most desired baseball PC set and are scarce. an example sold at auction: http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=8523&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

Mine is in poor condition (was mailed lol) but not in HORRIBLE shape. I want to know an estimated value if I was to sell it. I put a lot of money into the hobby and I don't want to sell it unless I could be persuaded or traded for cards to start a collection again.

BTW: This forum is great. Counterfeit alerts and variations info? I probably would not have been so discouraged from the hobby had a site like this been around or I had known of it.

Leon
10-28-2009, 03:13 PM
First of all welcome aboard. IN the grand scheme of things the Rose Postcards aren't what I would consider rare, in general. Scarce yes, rare...not quite, but since I focus on rarities in my collection my view could be a bit distorted. Of course compared to almost any of the regular post war issues they are rare but no so much with some of the true pre-war rarities. That aside and back to your valuation question. Value is usually (well, almost always) determined by supply vs demand. While the supply of the Pfeffer card could be only 1, the demand side will hold it down quite a bit, as very few people are trying for a complete set of Rose Postcards. It will be worth more than a common common :), and maybe approach a lower level HOF'er....but I doubt the value would be in the thousands..I would venture to guess in the $300-$500 range in poor condition....lets see what others say...........best regards

Bicem
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
"most desired baseball PC set" is also very arguable.

I would agree with Leon, $300-500 unless you are lucky enough to find someone trying to build the set that really wants the card.

khughesprime
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
First of all welcome aboard. IN the grand scheme of things the Rose Postcards aren't what I would consider rare, in general. Scarce yes, rare...not quite, but since I focus on rarities in my collection my view could be a bit distorted. Of course compared to almost any of the regular post war issues they are rare but no so much with some of the true pre-war rarities. That aside and back to your valuation question. Value is usually (well, almost always) determined by supply vs demand. While the supply of the Pfeffer card could be only 1, the demand side will hold it down quite a bit, as very few people are trying for a complete set of Rose Postcards. It will be worth more than a common common :), and maybe approach a lower level HOF'er....but I doubt the value would be in the thousands..I would venture to guess in the $300-$500 range in poor condition....lets see what others say...........best regards

Thanks Yep. So far this is what I have determined. I understand that there are probably more postcard collectors of this set than sports card collectors. I still would like to hear from anyone on the forum that is very familiar with this set.

deadballpaul
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
That MHCC auction in 2008 had some peak prices. The prices have been about cut in half since then. A poor condition Rose PC is about $300 at best right now for a non top tier player.

Leon
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Yep. So far this is what I have determined. I understand that there are probably more postcard collectors of this set than sports card collectors. I still would like to hear from anyone on the forum that is very familiar with this set.

I wouldn't say I am an expert on this set....Maybe Jerry S, who knows as much as anyone about them (that I am aware of), will chime in. That being said I have probably handled a dozen or so and seen more than 100 for sale......No secret here. Jeff P, posted above, has also seen the same as well as many of our board members. I probably would have to (politely) disagree with your statement that this set is collected by postcard collectors more than sportscard collectors. I have been to many postcard shows and haven't seen any (though admittedly I could have missed one). I would guess that a sportscard collector will pay more than a pure postcard collector for these. All of this is just my experienced opinion and others might differ.....At any rate good luck with the card.....best regards

3-2-count
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I have one. It's the only one I've ever owned. I can definitely see why so many would fall in love with these. They are even prettier in hand.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/andreatny/rosepcevers-1.jpg

Jim VB
10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I echo the sentiments that say welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert on this set either, but I do know they are pretty scarce. As pointed out though, that doesn't mean you will make a killing on a low condition card. Because of the size of this set (200+ cards), very few people ever try to collect the entire set. People that do collect them tend to be type collectors that just want an example. That will cut demand for a low grade, non HOFer.

Also, you may get some team set collectors chasing palyers from teams with long traditions (NY AL, Boston AL, Detroit, and Cleveland all have pretty avid collectors.) But because of the way they have moved around, Boston NL doesn't seem to have that following.

The other thing to keep in mind is that to get top dollar at auction, you really need to have two people chasing it, not one.

I think that would make this a $300-400 card in the condition you describe.

khughesprime
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Alright guys- thanks for all the info. I'm not trying to over value the card but I don't want to lose out either. $300-$500 is what I estimated it as - with everything I was able to come up with on my own.

I'm not trying to drum up interest-kill this thread if you want -but I'll put this on ebay soon.

I've waited to sell this and the parts of my collection that are more modern and use the money for T206 collecting and any low grade Joe Jacksons, Ty Cobbs and Moe Bergs I can get my hands on at prices I can afford.

I hope I can be able to contribute to this forum in the near future.

Thanks !

bijoem
10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I know these are the most desired baseball PC set and are scarce.

IMO - not even close to the most desired baseball PC set.
not even close.

khughesprime
10-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Maybe I should not join the debate team. :rolleyes:

HRBAKER
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
The Rose PCs to me are very much like the T5 Pinkertons being discussed in another thread. Scarce - maybe, rare - certainly not. You can find a type readily, you can search several years for a particular player and a complete set is nearly impossible. And the prices are down significantly for commons and low grade examples over the last couple of years.

My .02 and worth about that.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/PlankRosePC.jpg

Jim VB
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Maybe I should not join the debate team. :rolleyes:

Au contraire! This board considers a little hyperbole to be an important asset.

(But you will often get called on it.)

khughesprime
10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Well...I'll try to convey my thoughts better in the future...

Leon
10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Au contraire! This board considers a little hyperbole to be an important asset.

(But you will often get called on it.)

A little more puffery (there really wasn't that much) and an auction house writer position might open up....