PDA

View Full Version : Boston-area Shriners show - next weekend Nov. 6-8

scooter729
10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

Next weekend Nov. 6-8 is the Wilmington, MA Shriners show - better known as the best vintage show in New England all year.

There are a whole slew of great autograph guests as usual, although the prices are more than I like to pay for autographs. Auto info can be found on the attached link:
http://www.sureshotpromotions.com/graphics/images/flyers/November%20GBSCC%20Shriners%20Show%202009_1.pdf

We've tried and done a board meet-up the past couple of shows, usually around noon on Saturday. Anyone up for it again this year?

wolterse
10-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Scott - Yes! I'll be there and definitely want to meet up as a group again. That was fun back in June. Maybe we can all get together around noon on Saturday? I look forward to thoughts from other folks...

The auto guest roster is impressive, too!

Looking forward to it. Erich

bigfish
10-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Hello:

I will be there along with several other characters. Look forward to the show and am open to meeting up to trade if folks want to. I will be there with 5-6 guys Friday and Sat.

sb1
11-01-2009, 05:24 AM
I will be setting up at table #188 taking consignments for our Spring 2010 Auction. Zero sellers commission as always.

I will also have cards for sale. On Friday and Saturday I will be joined by Dan McKee, also bringing material for sale. We will have a tremendous amount of prewar available.

Scott

Republicaninmass
11-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I will be there all three days peddlin poo-poo. LMK if we decide to meet up!

soxinseven
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I will be there on Saturday and look forward to seeing everyone again.

TUM301
11-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Headed up to Wilmington Sat afternoon. My best shot of seeing items, I WISH I could buy, within driving distance all year.

Republicaninmass
11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Saw one of those pillowcases-110 last year for the first time in person, a very neat item and decently priced for 5 hof'ers

steve B
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll be there too, I'd be happy to meet some people from here.

Steve

GrayGhost
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
39.00 for Dave Roberts, whose career consisted mainly of one stolen base? umm..OUCH.;)

I love that show, enjoy it guys, wish I could attend. I cant wait to hear bout some of the great cards/memorabilia you guys pick up.

aelefson
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi-
Sorry for my late response but I will also be there and definitely want to meet up with everyone. From reading the above posts it looks like 12:00 in front of the snack bar area on Saturday? Lurkers are welcome as well!
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

kcohen
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I'll be set up at table # 238. Please drop by and say hi.

Ken

scooter729
11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Alan et al,

Sounds good - let's shoot for noon in the snack bar area, just like we did last time. Hope to see all there!

And I'll plan on hitting the tables and saying hi to the dealers from the boards as well!

Scott

carrigansghost
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I won't be able to make it. I'm in Ajo Az for an extend period. Have fun and give some reports.

Rawn

sox1903wschamp
11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
39.00 for Dave Roberts, whose career consisted mainly of one stolen base? umm..OUCH.;)

Well, I will say this, that is the most exhilarating Sox moment for me right next to the Carbo and Fisk blasts in game 6. Dave Roberts will always hold a special place in my heart. But your right, $39 is steep.

aelefson
11-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi-
Just a quick reminder to everyone attending this show that we will do our best to meet up at noon today in front of the snack bar. I hope to meet a lot of Net54ers and I hope everyone enjoys the show.
Yours in collecting,
Alan

GoldenAge50s
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Got home a couple hours ago after meeting w/ Brian & Sean at the SGC table & dropping off 120 of my little treasures for their attention.

Must have been a little late for the meeting at the snack bar, but did get to enjoy meeting both Dan & Scott at the B & L table.

Looked like alot of people still arriving when I left---PSA table looked busy--Big line at Bill Russell's auto table--at about $300 a pop!

What recession???

scooter729
11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I enjoyed the show today, as well as meeting up with Alan, Steve and Erich at noon. (We snagged a table in the back corner to hang out and chat for a bit, so sorry if we missed anyone!)

Usual story for me - lots of nice vintage stuff at the show, but a lot of it priced pretty high. (There was an interesting 1/4 of a Boston Kalamazoo Bats team card for $800!)

I almost left with no pickups, but did grab this boxing cabinet at the end of the day...

Republicaninmass
11-07-2009, 04:53 PM
A Pleasure meeting Brian, Dave and Scott as well as Kcohen today.

wolterse
11-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Great to visit with board members Scott, Alan and Steve today. My scanner broke or I'd post a couple of my pick-ups. In short, the pre-war cards were over-priced, but every dealer was very willing to negotiate if you asked. I was able to knock off about 30% on a 3-Finger Sporting News Supplement in superb condition!

steve B
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Sorry to have missed everyone. I was at the snack bar from 12 till about quarter after. I must have been in the wrong spot.

Maybe come spring or next year....

I May bring a badge or sign like the limo guys use picking people up at the airport. :)

jbsports33
11-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Nice to see all you that came by my table, and Scott it was great to meet you and Dan

Jimmy

scotty21690
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I am disappointed I could not make to the show, how was it? Was there a lot of pre-war Red Sox vintage cards? (Actually don't answer that, I don't want to know!:p )

aelefson
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi-
It was a pleasure meeting everyone at the show this year! I am sorry about missing some folks, but we have another chance in April as it looks like they will do the show again then (end of April I believe). There is also talk of the old BC High show coming back this Spring (hopefully with less Beanie Babies). There were too many interesting vintage items there to list, but a few of my favorites include the 1/4 of a KBat team card (mentioned above), some really cool Nuf Ced photos and autographed items, and everything at Tik's table.
Yours in collecting,
Alan

sb1
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone that stopped by the B & L booth. We enjoyed talking and took in several nice consignments and have more in the mail.

Scott & Leon

bh3443
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Most of you know that I started to promote shows here in the late 1970's. I ran them regularly until my illness got terminal and retired last year. In Boston, the focal point of the hobby was my weekly shows and the one big Shriner's show.
For decades our hobby was organized and full of wonderful people. I created a place that would remain a safe haven for collectors and dealers to meet at on a regular basis. However, it looks like collecting will go in a different direction.
After talking to many, many people about the state of the hobby and the lack of money available from today's dealers to buy their cards, it appears that cards have become a small hobby rather than a booming business.

The show report here is that the Shriner's show is a mere shell of it's former self. My shows have disappeared and someone's running an irregular and non-consistent version of what I did. This saddens me.

It's not all bad, and in fact collectors rejoice because the hobby is in your hands now. You should be able to pay what you want for cards in most cases. Of course, there are exceptions based on scarcity, condition and age.

Here's just one quote regarding the Shriner's show:
"I am primarily focused on real estate right now, and, judging by how poorly the weekend show went, that will stay my focus."
"The show was a joke. Lots of long faces and not much business."

I sincerely hope that collecting cards is a hobby for everyone for years to come. I loved shows and shows were my life, however it appears that collectors will collect via different avenues than I did. There's no admission fee on net54 and I have recommended to all my former clients that net54 is the best place to collect.

The finest people in the hobby are on here as well as acess to virtually any card you'd ever want or need.

I have not been well enough to leave a post on here in a while. I love our sport and our hobby. Future generations of collectors need to see our hobby for what it was during the rise, boom times and fall of the empire! It is an honorable hobby and a lot of fun.

RayBShotz
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Be well Bill.

jbsports33
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Bill,

I think you made some great points about the hobby; all of us have to adjust to the change. Barry and I have still devoted ourselves to keep going at shows, but will focus in other directions as well. We always try and be collectors first and we love what we collect/buy/sell and not much has changed to our approach, it just seems like everything around us has changed. The Boston show was pretty good to us, but in general shows have been hit or miss, becuase last June we did not do as well.

you take care of yourself,

Jimmy Piccuito