PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out with your experience - A website to display my collection

Bosox Blair
10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi folks,

I've been mulling over the idea of creating some sort of website to display nice scans of my pre-war collection, but I have never done it because my computer skills are pretty rudimentary (ie. I don't know how to create a website). This would be a non-commercial site...just for fun and learning.

I've noticed lately that a number of you guys do a nice job with things like photobucket, and other websites that I assume you don't need high-level computer skills to create some sort of display.

I'd love to hear what people recommend (and don't recommend) along with limitations of certain approaches (ie. if some sites are better for small collections, etc).

I would need to be able to display a few hundred scans, if that helps with the advice.

Any input is welcome!

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair
10-27-2009, 01:09 AM
I've started to put something on Photobucket...any opinions on using that site?

Cheers,
Blair

deadballpaul
10-27-2009, 02:00 AM
I've used PhotoBucket, but currently use & prefer ImageEvent. It costs $24.95 a year, but seems to work better & is easier than the free PhotoBucket account that I have.

Matt
10-27-2009, 06:07 AM
I use PicasaWeb - it's free and easy to use.

wolterse
10-27-2009, 06:18 AM
I use flikr. It's very easy and free.

Chris Counts
10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I prefer ImageEvent to Photobucket. It has a much cleaner look and no ads ... it's like displaying your cards in a museum versus a shopping mall. Here's my collection ...

http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt

Jacklitsch
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Photobucket for me. If you pay $30 or so per year no popups, no ads. Otherewise its free.

Mine:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/

Bosox Blair
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, and also for linking to your personal sites - it is helping me to see the relative strengths of these options!