10-26-2009, 01:23 AM
????????????????????????????????????

Fun, fun, Scott

JasonL
10-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Please elaborate.

mybuddyinc
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Just thought I'd start a World series thread, tried to be clever:rolleyes:, but at 2:30 am, I guess I missed the mark:)

My entire life I have always rooted for the AL team, except when the Phils made it.

So, go Phils (in 6) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ullmandds
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
It should be an EPIC series...Yankees in Six!!!

Kawika
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Some newsreel footage from the last time these two teams met in October: http://tinyurl.com/ygksjwg

GrayGhost
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
This was posted by me on another site. Here it is...

My position by position breakdown for the teams for the series.

1B- Texeira (NY) vs Howard (Phillies). tough one, Howard is an amazing offensive force, who has been on fire in the postseason so far. Tex, not so much in bat, but huge w the glove too. He's ready to break out tho. Edge: EVEN

2b- Cano (NY) vs Utley (Phil). Another tight one here, Im gonna go slightly with the NL star, but very slightly..Edge: Phillies

ss- Jeter (NY) vs Rollins (Phil) ..One of the best postseason and clutch players of all time, and one of the best young SS , tho he had a down year this year. Edge: Yankees

3B- A Rod (NY) vs Werth (Phillies) - This one is pretty easy, esp this year .. Edge: Yankees

__________________________________________________ _______________

OF - Damon, Cabrera, Swisher (Yankees) vs Ibanez. Victorino, Abreu (Phillies). Both have strong and weak points in their outfield. Overall tho, I like the Phillies three starters out there a bit more..Edge: Phillies

C- Posada(NY) vs Ruiz (phillies) Gotta go w the experience here for sure, even with the play Molina may get in games AJ pitches Edge: yankees

Starting pitchers- Sabbathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Gaudin* (yankees) vs Lee, Hamels, Blanton, Martinez * (Phillies). Assuming those are the four starters each team uses. Yankees have the overall edge IMO. Based on 2-3-4 guys. Pedro could be a factor tho. CC and Lee are close to even, but Yankees edge esp at third spot gives them the edge overall. Edge: yankees

Bullpen - Phillies have some good talent out there, but the Closer edge puts the yankees overall over the top. Rivera is the best, and with a solid supporting cast, yankees get the edge. Happ and Marsden not enough for Phillies, and Lidge is a lit fuse ready to go off. Edge: yankees

Bench and DH- Yankees seem a bit deeper, esp w Matsui over Stairs probably at DH in NY, Yankees have a better mix of speed/versatility on bench. Edge: yankees

thusly, Yankees Edge Overall, and the yanks win the series in Six. GO YANKEES

Jay Wolt
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
3B- A Rod (NY) vs Werth (Phillies) - This one is pretty easy, esp this year .. Edge: Yankees

__________________________________________________ _______________

OF - Damon, Cabrera, Swisher (Yankees) vs Ibanez. Victorino, Abreu (Phillies). Both have strong and weak points in their outfield. Overall tho, I like the Phillies three starters out there a bit more..Edge: Phillies

Feliz is the Phillies 3rd Baseman
and Werth is the Outfielder, not Abreu

barrysloate
10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Although I think the Yankees will win, this is a very evenly matched series. Phillies have great hitting and pitching, and are defending champions. Should be very competitive.

Epps
10-26-2009, 03:34 PM
I want Jeter to get another one under his belt and I want Arod to get one in too. Go Yankees!

canjond
10-26-2009, 03:34 PM
While I think the games will be close, Yanks in 5

nolemmings
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
agreed, Bombers in 5

packs
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Don't see any way the Phillies take the series. Their pitching is terrible. Sabathia, Pettite, Burnett are infinitely better than Hamels, Lee, and Blanton. Joe Blanton as your World Series crutch? No way. Plus, the Philly bullpen is just awful and they are without a true closer.

Position players wise, the Yankees dominate. Howard is good, of course, but who else? Utley chokes in the playoffs, Werth was awful against the Dodgers, and Ibanez has fallen off the Earth since the first half of the season.

I say the Yanks sweep with CC winning games 1 and 4.

calvindog
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm pulling for the Yankees, however I think the Phillies will be way tougher than you guys think. Lee has been incredible and will pitch at least two games. Burnett has hardly been impressive in the post-season and the Yankees can't pitch Pettite in game 2. As for the lineups, the Phillies are very tough and know how to win. I think it will go at least 6 games and I'm not certain it's the Yankees who take it.

Tim Kindler
10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm a die-hard Yankees fan ever since I was a kid. It always saddened me to see my hero, Don Mattingly, only make the playoffs once, only to swept by the Mariners in 95:( I have no cable so I listen to Sterling and Susan on WCBS 880 AM, funny thing is, it only comes in after it turns dark here in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. But it is awesome to see them back in the World Series again. I would love to see Mo, Jeter, Andy, and Jorge get their 5th rings and the rest of the gang get their first as a Yankee. BUT I AM WORRIED. In my opinion, the Yankees escaped against the Angels thanks to their shotty defense. The Yankees have left WAY TOO MANY runners on base and have squandered opportunity after opportunity this playoffs. I hope they take better advantage of their scoring opportunites this series, because their pitching has been awesome, but I don't think the Phillies will let them off the hook like the Twins and Angels did. Just my 2 cents!
Tim Kindler

GrayGhost
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow, Spaced out on the players, mixed a couple up w Angels. I still give Yankees 3B, and Phillies of too.

wolterse
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Even if the Yankees win the Red Sox are still the team of the decade and 21st century. We'll see if all that money the Yanks spent in the off season, and in prior years as well, will finally pay off. It will truly be the first 'bought' world series championship. Oh ya, and AROD sucks. I hope he chokes just like they did in 2004. That would make me so happy.

Boo Yankees

Go Phillies (and Pedro)!

Epps
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I hope Teixeira, Damon, and Cano get their average and on base percentage up.
I've met Mariano before and he is a real nice guy. I 'll be rooting for him too. I agree with Yankees in five also.

Jim VB
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
We'll see if all that money the Yanks spent in the off season, and in prior years as well, will finally pay off.

You do realize that the Yankee payroll was LOWER this season than it was last season, don't you?

Rob D.
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Burnett has hardly been impressive in the post-season ...

I read somewhere that Burnett was leading his team in the postseason, so I don't know where the heck you came up with that analysis.

wolterse
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
You do realize that the Yankee payroll was LOWER this season than it was last season, don't you?

You do realize that the Yanks spent a quarter BILLION, yes BILLION, this off-season, don't you? :eek:

ChiefBenderForever
10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
The ghost of Babe Ruth will curse the new stadium for 100 years. AriOd will never get a ring,but still gets to sleep with Kate Hudson.

Scott L.
10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I read somewhere that Burnett was leading his team in the postseason, so I don't know where the heck you came up with that analysis.

Leading his team in what exactly?

3and2
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
What option do you have if your a Mets fan? I guess root for meteorites...

Jim VB
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
You do realize that the Yanks spent a quarter BILLION, yes BILLION, this off-season, don't you? :eek:

No. No they didn't. They DID promise to pay that money out in the future however. (Their cash flow is pretty healthy. They are good for it.)

wolterse
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
No. No they didn't. They DID promise to pay that money out in the future however. (Their cash flow is pretty healthy. They are good for it.)

Ok, Ok, let's not split hairs, here :rolleyes:

Where are all my Yankee haters? Come on, Boston - I know you guys are out there!

There are too many 'warm and fuzzies' among the Yankee fans in this thread. Red Sox nation needs to spoil this party. :D ...or rather the Phillies do.

Go Phils!!!

oldjudge
10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm a die hard Yankee fan, have been since the mid 1950s, but I agree with Jeff. This series will be tough and I think the better team on paper is the Phillies. Each team has a solid starter and then some question marks. You never know what you'll get from Burnett, and Hamels still has great stuff, just head problems. Pedro and Pettitte--who knows. I like Mariano over Lidge but the Yankees middle relief has been spotty of late. As for the starting eight, the teams probably have the two best infields in baseball but the Phillies have a better outfield, both hitting and fielding. Catcher you can generously call a push although Ruiz is having a great post season. My call--Phillies in 6 or 7.

tedzan
10-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Boston passed on ARod.....and, that mistake may haunt the Red Sox from now on.

In the late '70s, Reggie was "Mr October"......now ARod will be "Mr November" :)

TED Z

Dustanh1
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Phillies in 6. Lee will win 2 games. Should be a pretty exciting series though.

Michael Peich
10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
As a loyal season ticket holder, I have to weigh in and agree with Jay. The Phillies have a better team on paper, and I like Lee v. Sabathia. As I see it, it will come down to the bullpen and the offense, and in both cases the Phillies have the edge.
I will be at games 3 and 5, behind first-base, 14 rows off the field. I'll have on a red cap with white lettering, in case you're looking when there is a foul-ball behind first!

Phillies in six.

Cheers,
Mike

Jim VB
10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
The Phillies have a better team on paper,... Cheers,
Mike

But Mike, they don't play any of the World Series games on paper. They play them in that little box in my family room.

:D

Jim VB
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Ok, Ok, let's not split hairs, here :rolleyes:

Where are all my Yankee haters? Come on, Boston - I know you guys are out there!

There are too many 'warm and fuzzies' among the Yankee fans in this thread. Red Sox nation needs to spoil this party. :D ...or rather the Phillies do.

Go Phils!!!

Erich,

I think they actually committed something like $450 million in the off season, but that's over a lot of years. The payroll went from something like $225 million down to $208 million. Damn penny pinchers.

Whither Red Sox fans? They're all golfing (or shoveling snow) just like the team.

Bet you wish you'd signed Tex, don't you?

:D

packs
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I've always been confused about what people are trying to say with the whole "bought championship" argument. Every team spends money on their team and it should be a testament to ownership that the Yankees attempt to complete a championship caliber team year after year. Every owner in baseball, regardless of their attendances, has enough money to field a team just like the Yankees. But the owners don't do it because they're running the teams based on profit margins of an investment. Be mad at your owner, not at George for caring enough to put his own money on the line.

teetwoohsix
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Being a die hard Dodger fan,I find it hard to root for either team.I have a feeling the Yankees will take it,,but I don't think the Phillies are going to be an easy "lay down"..........

Bobsbats
10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Phils take game 1.........How many empty seats were there? All those empty seats around the dish is a disgrace....and Phillies fans get a bad wrap. We would never let that happen at the ballpark. :)

ChiefBenderForever
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
The ghost of Babe Ruth has spoken,the 100 year drought begins!

Jay Wolt
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Phils take game 1.........How many empty seats were there? All those empty seats around the dish is a disgrace....and Phillies fans get a bad wrap. We would never let that happen at the ballpark. :)

The new Yankee Stadium has less seats then the prior ones and the Yankees
still drew 3,719,350 only the Dodgers drew higher.
Only twice have the Yankees topped 50,000. On 10/9 in the ALDS they drew 50,006 and today they drew the highest total all year 50,207

Bobsbats
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Then they are all sold through a corporate stucture....and those fans stink. When its the World Series and you see more seats behind the hitters than people....there is a problem. You would figure with what they cost....people should sleep in them. When the Yankees come to Phila, see if you can find 5 empty seats in the whole place.

tothrk
10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I've always been confused about what people are trying to say with the whole "bought championship" argument. Every owner in baseball, regardless of their attendances, has enough money to field a team just like the Yankees.

Are you serious?

familytoad
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Interesting posts above, and while I'm way too elated to bring the noize, (hatin' me some Yankees)...I have to say that the Phillies are not ones to be taken lightly.

They never lose their cool even if they get behind and have the best approach at the plate of any team in baseball. Their pitching is every bit as good as the Yankees too. Only Pettite and Rivera have ever won the title with the Yankees...count the rings on the Phillies staff!

So, a few comments... To the Poster who predicted sweep for Yankees: Please edit to say Yankees in at least 5 games. Accuracy counts!

To the poster who compared position by position: although you made a couple errors on who plays where, the biggest problem with that post is that the first basemen don't face each other, nor does any other position player face each other. It's a non-relevant comparison. Try batting lineup against the opposing pitchers, and you might be on to something.

To the numerous posts about payroll : Once the players step onto the field, I doubt anyone is thinking about their paychecks. Even the owners who pay these ridiculous salaries don't calculate payroll in the middle of a bases-loaded situation. Talking about how much money a team spent doesn't get you anywhere. These guys are all rich...but someone still has to lose. All you have to do is look at how many players have big contracts on teams other than the Yankees or Phillies...Does anyone think that if LA gave Manny 30 million instead of 20 million that they would be fighting for the World Series championship? Of course that would'nt matter a bit.

Phillie baseball. I love it!

JamesGallo
10-28-2009, 11:37 PM
The one thing that pisses me off more then anything else is the total disrespect the Philles have and are getting. Maybe after they put the Yankees down tonight and that the stands were half empty by the 8th inning will help people get a clue.

CC who, he lost the first game and is going to try again on 3 days rest after throwing 100+ pitchers, I think that is a bad idea. The Yankees need to stop messing around with Joba and keep him somewhere. Gaidin is a joke and the Phils will tee off on him. I am not scared of Pettie or AJ and if the Phils pitchers in those games don't do well I see more of a slug fest then anything else.

The Phillies on'y hit 20 less homes runs and that was without the DH so I honestly think the Phils have more solid pure power hitters then the Yankees.

ARod went back to him typical post season tonight and Tex has been horid all post season.

Rivera is amazing and if the Yanks were not playing the Phillies I would be rooting for them as I really like him and Jetter. The problem is that Rivera has been way over worked and if you can't get to him with a lead then it doesn't do you any good.

History is on the Phillies side after a game 1 win, so I say Phils in 5 and then maybe they will get some respect!!

James G

yanks12025
10-29-2009, 04:59 AM
Alot of you guys sound like the world series ends in just 1 game, well it dont happen. Yankees will beat up on Pedro tonight because he has pitched against easy teams for the whole year, same thing we'll beat up on Hamels. Yankees in 6

P.S.
The only reason phila wont have empty seats is because Yankee fans will be there. Whose fans wave a little flag in the air.

Ladder7
10-29-2009, 06:38 AM
*ahem* ;)
http://blog.nj.com/yankees_main/2009/04/large_yankee-stadium-empty428.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3608/3458688111_d94a8872a1.jpg

Frank A
10-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Lee made the yankees look FEEEEBLE. Don't count out Pedro, he has always had great control and doesn't need a big fastball to get it done. Go Phillies.

tbob
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Don't see any way the Phillies take the series. Their pitching is terrible. Sabathia, Pettite, Burnett are infinitely better than Hamels, Lee, and Blanton. Joe Blanton as your World Series crutch? No way. Plus, the Philly bullpen is just awful and they are without a true closer.

Position players wise, the Yankees dominate. Howard is good, of course, but who else? Utley chokes in the playoffs, Werth was awful against the Dodgers, and Ibanez has fallen off the Earth since the first half of the season.

I say the Yanks sweep with CC winning games 1 and 4.

Utley didn't choke last night :D I have pulled for the American League team every year since I was a kid in '58 but even though I am pulling for the AL again, Texeira and Swisher will kill the Yanks at the bat and A-Rod will resort to the pre-2009 postgame A-Rod. Phils in 6.

bigtrain
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Although I have no confidence in Burnett, I think the Yanks tee off on Pedro tonight and win the next two games. The Yanks win in seven. Anyone else think its time to give Swisher a night off? He has become an automatic out.

Bobsbats
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
There is no SHOT the Yankees will have 500 supporters here, because Phillies fans are falling over themselves trying to get tickets.... I spoke to a friend of mine who left this afternoon to head to the game in NY and they said as long as you were willing to spend the money, tickets were easy to come by. No shot of that happening at Citizens Bank Park.

Pedro concerns me tonight, but A.J. Burnett doesnt scare me at all either.

Just because those seats may have been paid for, if the fans don't attend, you might as well be playing in Florida.

Jay Wolt
10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Anyone else think its time to give Swisher a night off?
Tom apparently Girardi agrees with you and Jerry Hairston is taking Swish's spot

mybuddyinc
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
"Heinie Zinn, Heinie Zinn,
Chasing Colins home.
I'm a faster man than you are, Heinie Zinn."

Felix/Damon dosen't rhyme, but you get the idea.

Lee next game, but I kind'a wish Ol' Pete was stll around.