PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Feedback on Ebay

greenmonster66
10-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I bought some cards from seller on EBay and when I received them they had small pen marks on backside of cards. Unfortunately seller didnt mention this in his description. I emailed him 2x and got no reply. Transaction happened about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering what anyones thought are in regards to me leaving seller negative feedback. I just don't want seller to turn around and leave me negative also!

barrysloate
10-25-2009, 10:03 AM
The seller can't leave you a negative- ebay did away with that.

greenmonster66
10-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Would you leave negative or neutral?

Leon
10-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I would email once more and tell them that if they don't answer that email within 48 hours you will have no choice but to give them a negative for the transaction, and that you would prefer to work it out otherwise. Then, after 48 hours without a repsonse......neg.......I have only given 2-3 negs in my 10 yrs on ebay....all were for outright theft and the sellers, except for 1, were NARU'd.....

I assume the pen marks weren't microscopic and can plainly be seen with the naked eye......Good luck with the issue...

BTW, I got a nice card in the mail that didn't have a great scan, yesterday, via ebay. It was described as vg.....it has 2 pinholes and major creasing that couldn't be seen by the scan. That seller, who I know a fair bit, will be getting an email from me today about it....but he is a good guy and I am sure will take care of it.....it's only a $50 issue but still irked me when I saw the card in person.....There is absolutely no reason not to mention pinholes except to try to sell the item better (and a bit fraudulently, imo)......regards

greenmonster66
10-25-2009, 10:34 AM
THanks Leon! Good advice I will do that email one more time!

ibuysportsephemera
10-25-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with Leon. One other thing...how much feedback does this seller have and do they have any other negatives? If they have quite a bit of feedback and no negatives I might give them more of the benefit of the doubt and try a little harder to get a response. If they are one of those sellers that always seem to have problems, I might not wait to long to neg them. When giving a neg, I would just state the facts and not get personal.

JMO.

Jeff

D. Bergin
10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
How long has it been since you e-mailed him? What condition did he describe the cards as being in?

Did you bid more then you would have had you known the pen marks were on the back?

I've always been hesitant to give negatives as a buyer simply because I sell quite a bit and realize sometimes mistakes can be made every once in awhile.

At the same time, as a seller I try to rectify all problems that might arise if possible and get a little annoyed when other sellers don't do the same. I'll also give buyers a lot of leeway as far as payment terms and how long some of them take to actually pay. I guess, I'm kind of wishy washy and give most people the benefit of the doubt on both sides, sometimes to my own detriment.

I guess you do what you think is best given the circumstance. Hopefully, you've given the seller enough time to respond to your complaints.

There's always the DSR's if you're not comfortable giving a negative also.

Leon
10-25-2009, 10:52 AM
How long has it been since you e-mailed him? What condition did he describe the cards as being in?

Did you bid more then you would have had you known the pen marks were on the back?

I've always been hesitant to give negatives as a buyer simply because I sell quite a bit and realize sometimes mistakes can be made every once in awhile.

At the same time, as a seller I try to rectify all problems that might arise if possible and get a little annoyed when other sellers don't do the same. I'll also give buyers a lot of leeway as far as payment terms and how long some of them take to actually pay. I guess, I'm kind of wishy washy and give most people the benefit of the doubt on both sides, sometimes to my own detriment.

I guess you do what you think is best given the circumstance. Hopefully, you've given the seller enough time to respond to your complaints.

There's always the DSR's if you're not comfortable giving a negative also.

I have to agree a negative is a last resort.... but really, 3 emails should be enough for at least a response....You also might make sure (by more listings or seeing more of what they are doing on ebay) that they aren't on vacation or something....But if they are currently selling and don't respond back then I wouldn't have a big problem with the negative after you have tried rectifying the way you are. Maybe even getting their contact info, thru ebay, and giving them a call wouldn't be a bad thing. I really do hate giving negs...but every now and then they can be warranted. Let us know how it turns out.

D. Bergin
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I have to agree a negative is a last resort.... but really, 3 emails should be enough for at least a response....You also might make sure (by more listings or seeing more of what they are doing on ebay) that they aren't on vacation or something....But if they are currently selling and don't respond back then I wouldn't have a big problem with the negative after you have tried rectifying the way you are. Maybe even getting their contact info, thru ebay, and giving them a call wouldn't be a bad thing. I really do hate giving negs...but every now and then they can be warranted. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, make sure they're not on vacation. I think you have 45 days to decide on your feedback so there shouldn't be a rush to decide what you're going to do at this point.

Then again, I'm so patient sometimes I'll let those 45 days lapse when I'm intending to leave an unflattering feedback or file for an unpaid item claim...............so you might not want to follow my method to the "t" either. :)

perezfan
10-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a different view (and realize I'm in the minority...)

I would just leave the negative for the sheer inconvenience and aggravation. This was something that should have been disclosed, and is (at best) an extremely neglegent oversight or (at worst) a blatant effort to mislead the buyer of the true condition.

The fact that multiple follow-up emails are now required, as well as a need to repackage the card and re-send it (while hoping for a refund) are a complete and needless waste of valuable time.

As someone who takes extra time and effort to describe items properly, I have a lot of disdain for this type of selling. The ebay feedback system has become a joke anyway, so duped buyers might as well provide honest disclosure. I certainly would not want to buy from him, and would appreciate seeing a negative in his record (which would help me to keep away...) Isn't that the point of the feedback, as Ebay originally intended it?

drc
10-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I'd give him one more week, then you can feel free to give negative feedback. Whichever you way you slice, a negative would be deserved as this is known as terrible customer service.

Leon
10-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I have a different view (and realize I'm in the minority...)

I would just leave the negative for the sheer inconvenience and aggravation. This was something that should have been disclosed, and is (at best) an extremely neglegent oversight or (at worst) a blatant effort to mislead the buyer of the true condition.

The fact that multiple follow-up emails are now required, as well as a need to repackage the card and re-send it (while hoping for a refund) are a complete and needless waste of valuable time.

As someone who takes extra time and effort to describe items properly, I have a lot of disdain for this type of selling. The ebay feedback system has become a joke anyway, so duped buyers might as well provide honest disclosure. I certainly would not want to buy from him, and would appreciate seeing a negative in his record (which would help me to keep away...) Isn't that the point of the feedback, as Ebay originally intended it?

I understand this sentiment exactly and feel this way many times too, but I also have to live with myself. I think each person is different in the way they internalize this sort of situation. When I do something such as give a negative it greatly affects my attitude for a few days, or at the very least I think about it a lot. If I can say to myself that I gave every opportunity AND then 1 More, to make it right, I don't feel so bad. Not to get into general sentiments about running this board but that is the way I see it too. All of those things being said I have been known to jump to a conclusion and have to change my sentiment, with some embarrassment or extra "humbleness", so don't profess to be perfect or that my way fo thinking is THE right way...it is but "another" way......regards

mintacular
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Leave a negative. If they fix the problem to your satisfaction, you can always revise the feedback later. Sometimes the neg. is just the jolt needed to get a seller to respond. I've only left a handful of negs in my career but this is one of those situations that merits the nuclear option. I mean the guy at least should respond to your emails. Also, if you email again don't "threaten" w/a negative as I believe this violates eBay policy/TOS. Good luck.

perezfan
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I have left only one negative in over 800 ebay transactions. So it's not like I hand them out in reckless fashon. That said, giving a negative isn't the end of the world... Is it?

To read through some of these posts, you would think we were talking about confiscating the seller's first born child or sending them to prison. It's just a deserved negative feedback for a bad experience. Not the end of the world, IMO.