PDA

View Full Version : Play Ball Find - How would you handle?

John V
10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
About twice a year I'll roam through the local flea market, hoping to stumble on a treasure. Today, I came across a shoe box with a bunch of Play Ball cards. In round numbers 50 1939s and 50 1940s. Not knowing bupkus about Play Balls, I figured the 1939 Greenburg and the 1940 Mathewson and Cochrane were the best of the bunch. The seller knows what he has, but states he's been out of the hobby for a number of years. The majority of the cards have nice corners, clean and none with creases.
So how do you come up with a reasonable "buy the whole bunch" price that is fair to both parties? Neither of us wants to build a spreadsheet and do hours of reserch.
John

marcdelpercio
10-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I would probably have a figure in mind for the entire lot and some justification of how I got to that number...say $10 per card (which I think is a pretty fair price for the lot as you described). I would then ask the seller what price he was thinking for the lot. If his price is lower than yours...deal. If not, counter with your price and tell him how you got to that number.

FrankWakefield
10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
A successful approach is to deal in person, not on the phone... and have cash out in your hand. Have a serious offer amount half folded, in a pocket, and pull it out. (You don't want to be digging in a wallet where the seller sees that you've taken some cash out and left some in.) His eyes will fix on that cash, he'll probably counter for more, reach in the other front pocket and add a bit more cash (this should be folded and folded again, awaiting in a different pocket.) He'll watch this addition as it is unfolded. Cash within arm's reach is effective.