PDA

View Full Version : Bat Rack Help Needed

cliftons8
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Hello all,
I do some small woodworking projects and am interested in making a bat rack similiar to a vintage Spalding or H&B rack. I have some pictures from past auctions, but I would like some measurements to go by. If any one could tell things like width, height, depth and the actual thickness and width of the wood itself, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

ksfarmboy
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Mike here is what I have written down when my dad and I made a couple for me. Since you've done some work before I'm going to assume you're going to know how to cut angles on the bottom main frame pieces. You'll also need to notch the top of them to allow for the header board and the cross members will also need notching so they can be recessed in. We guessed on alot of it and it came out perfect for me. I don't like the header board but can always change that out later. I'm going to be out of town until Sunday but will answer any more questions when I get back. This should be enough info to get you started. I've shown pictures of a mini bat rack and a side of a full bat rack that I've broken down. The mini is the same as the full size but at half scale.

The main pieces are 2x4s, the cross members are 1/2 thick and the outside supports are 1" thick. we built this for around 60-70 bucks. This was all guess work based off of pictures. When you get to the bat dowels or metal rungs I'll give you more info as this is a little trickier.

Good luck,

Clint

cliftons8
10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Clint,
Thanks for all the info. This will give me a great start.

Mike

P.S.- Nice Lajoie