PDA

View Full Version : T5 Pinkertons question (newbie)

uthminsta
10-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey there everyone. I'm new here (first post ever), so go easy on me - I may be asking something that is obvious to many of you, as it seems there are plenty of experts hanging around.

But here's the deal. I'm trying to locate a T5 Pinkerton Lew Brockett cabinet. Well, more accurately, I'm trying to find PROOF of the card's existence. I'm aware that factory checklists for sets like this may not actually reflect production.

Does anyone have one?
Has anyone even seen one?
How do I find out how many, if any, were made?
For future reference (cuz I'm broke), what should I expect to pay for one?

I'm doing this because Louis was an ancestral relative of mine. So I wanna collect all of his cards... and any other memorabilia related to him. So far I have a Colgan's Chip, and a Helmar Stamp... and have been looking at a C46 Imperial Tobacco card as the "next step." But I'm not typically a prewar collector, I'm primarily a Topps baseball collector. That's why I figured I would ask around and see what the experts would have to add...

Any help?
Thanks
Aaron

drc
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Only a few at most would exist, as only a handful at most exist for any player even HOFers, and would probably cost a few hundred. T5s as an issue aren't hard to find as there are so many different players, but an individual player can be tough.

Matt
10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the forum! If it exists you've got a great chance of hearing from someone who has one by posting here.
Here is an image of a "Colgan's Proof" of his, sold at REA in 2007:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/images_items/Item_8358_2.jpg

I also PMed you about another of Brockett's issues.

Leon
10-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum! If it exists you've got a great chance of hearing from someone who has one by posting here.
Here is an image of a "Colgan's Proof" of his, sold at REA in 2007:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/images_items/Item_8358_2.jpg

I also PMed you about another of Brockett's issues.

Of course Matt is correct......I didn't get it in REA. I think I got it on ebay 6-12 mos ago.....

He was in my pile of "I haven't got around to doing anything with it yet"....:eek:

uthminsta
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
So does anyone know whether the T5 Brockett exists?

teetwoohsix
10-27-2009, 11:53 PM
I do not have a photo of it,but on the advertising slip for the T5's they have #801 Brockett, New York A.L. No first name,but it's the only Brockett I see .Hope this helps-Clayton

uthminsta
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
...on the advertising slip for the T5's they have #801 Brockett, New York A.L.

Clayton,
Thanks. That's him alright. Lewis Albert "King" Brockett. I just wish I could verify its actual production... and whether one has survived this long...

Aaron

uthminsta
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
In the meantime, TONIGHT I've won a C46 Brockett in poor condition on eBay. I now have the three major known "cards" of his:
- E254 Colgan's Chips
- T332 Helmar Stamp
- C46 Imperial Tobacco

I only know of three others, but with all three, I'm having trouble finding them, or even finding images of them.
- T5 Pinkerton cabinet
- E270-1 Colgan Red Border
- E270-2 Colgan Tin Tops

Oh, and the Colgan's proof. So I guess that would be seven.

Anyone got any more info on the T5 or ever seen the other 2 varieties of Colgans?

glynparson
10-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Pinkertons are definetly my favorite set. I have owned approximately 60 different cards over the years and always make sure to look at the examples i see at shows around the country. I do not ever remember seeing a Brockett. It is probably out there but will not be an easy find.

uthminsta
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. So from what I'm hearing is...

- Being mentioned on the "factory" checklist doesn't mean it actually exists.
- If it were in fact produced, there were very few made, as even the HOFers are exceedingly rare.
- It is quite possible that any copies that were made have been lost to time, because the photos were quite brittle.
- No one who has posted has ever actually seen one, and one poster has had over 60 others.

So can ANYONE verify that there is at least one copy of this cabinet still in existence???

(meanwhile my new avatar is the C46 Brockett I just got.)

Thanks
Aaron

glynparson
11-10-2009, 06:44 AM
It's a shame he's not a Philadelphia Athletics player as they are far and away the easiest ones to locate.

teetwoohsix
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that being listed on the factory checklist does verify that "at least one"was made,,but you are correct,that doesn't mean that one still exists today.I hope you do find one someday,and for sure,if I ever see one anywhere-you will be the first person I email to tell!!I tend to believe that if they were made,at least one copy should still be around-but that's just my wishful thinking(collector's brain).I made a thread on this board recently about a great book I found at the library called"Baseball Memories 1900-1909",and there is a cool photo of Mr.Brockett,wearing a derby hat(I think thats what the hat is called,or maybe a homberg?)and a suit,with "pitcher,1907,1909" underneath his name. Good luck in your quest Aaron!!Regards,Clayton

autograf
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Tack another 30-35 onto the list.....I've had that many with no Brockett. I agree with the Philadelphia comment although that's odd because Pinkerton was in Zanesville, OH. They have some very tough nonsport cards as well.