PDA

View Full Version : Previously Unknown T206 Discovered

Matt
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/ecard_inhandman/obama1909ebay.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARACK-OBAMA-1909-T206-STYLE-BASEBALL-CARD-ACEO_W0QQitemZ160371926251

barrysloate
10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Cool!

Matt
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Cool!

I thought so too; but really, what has he done to deserve a T206 so soon? :)

barrysloate
10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Good one Matt!...I think they gave him the card based on what they anticipate he will do...on the ballfield.:)

Jim VB
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Dang! I was hoping for a horizontal pose!

Smokey Joe
10-22-2009, 04:06 PM
You guys did not hear yet....Yankees are signing him for 4 years $200,000,000 per year. If he does not pan out then Steinbrenner will just ask for a bailout....Then the American taxpayers will own the Yankees.

Rob D.
10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I would have thought they'd have waited until he received the Nobel Peace Prize and included that in the pose. Kind of get a Hal Chase thing going.

Or wait till he gets the Heisman Trophy in hand.

slidekellyslide
10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
You guys did not hear yet....Yankees are signing him for 4 years $200,000,000 per year. If he does not pan out then Steinbrenner will just ask for a bailout....Then the American taxpayers will own the Yankees.

I don't want to own the Yankees. I'll refuse to pay my taxes if that happens.

Jim VB
10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't want to own the Yankees. I'll refuse to pay my taxes if that happens.

I don't know Dan. I'd rather own the Yankees than AIG or GM.

Potomac Yank
10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I would have thought they'd have waited until he received the Nobel Peace Prize and included that in the pose. Kind of get a Hal Chase thing going.

Or wait till he gets the Heisman Trophy in hand.

Happy Street is always the last to get the word.

The Hal Chase Thing is going to Five Deferments Cheney. :)

PGACPA
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Beautiful visual Matt however I would have expected this card to come with a Sovereign back…maybe they are on his enemies list…

Matt
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Beautiful visual Matt...

I didn't make it - just found it on eBay. It does look like someone spent a fair amount of time making it.

rdwyer
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I heard that children are putting the GWB cards in their bike spokes.

bijoem
10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Good one Matt!...I think they gave him the card based on what they anticipate he will do...on the ballfield.:)

perfect!

HRBAKER
10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I thought so too; but really, what has he done to deserve a T206 so soon? :)

He did throw out the first pitch at the All Star game. More stringent criteria than than the Nobel folks I guess. :)

10-22-2009, 07:41 PM
When he's finished with the tax code, his T206 will be the only one you'll be able to afford! :)

V117collector
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I posted this card of Obama before he was sworn in. I knew he would become President!!! Anyways I thought this card is more realistic since his home town is Chicago. Did you notice he caught the right ball!:)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/Doubles/obama_presidential_predictor.jpg

drdduet
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
What an American Beauty!

drdduet
10-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Just released,

President Obama did watch the Angels beat the Yankees last night, is the front runner in HOF balloting!

T2069bk
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Beautiful visual Matt however I would have expected this card to come with a Sovereign back…maybe they are on his enemies list…

But I'd expect Tolstoi

canjond
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
So he's on a cigarette card but the real question is, does he uzit?

Theoldprofessor
10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Did anybody in this crowd, in the Eight Years of Bush, ever develop a thread so judgmental of the president?

Thought not.

Back to the sport that is supposed to unite us.

Republicaninmass
10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Hindu back or more likely Hassan

Smokey Joe
10-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Judgmental???

it's called truth....don't want to get too deep in politics here but criticizing a govt., dem. or rep. has been going on since 1770's. And yes, there has been many anti-bush posts on net54 in the past. The funny thing is, when Americans protested Bush in the past they were called protesters, when we (Republicans) criticize Obama, we are called Racist by some Democrats.

Go figure....

autograf
10-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Bush was lambasted all 8 years......he's stupid, blah blah blah......good sport to make fun of your president.

The Obama card is missing the halo and the manger.......

V117collector
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Blaming Bush or Obama is the distraction. The two parties system is merely "A" game played by a group of MEN who control the world currency...

Ahh what do I know, I'm just a conspiracy nut!!!:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fTahZE4q90U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fTahZE4q90U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

barrysloate
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually think this thread has been rather tame.

Republicaninmass
10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Barry in these economic times you have to keep things light hearted!

iggyman
10-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Just to put this thread into its proper perspective....

In 1964 a middle age man, while arguing with a co-worker, said more then a few derogatory comments about the current president. A few weeks later, around 1 a.m., six large men burst open the front door of his modest apartment and took him away........... I didn't see my father again for the next eleven years. That my friends, is what happens in other countries when you criticize the president. You want to bash Bush or Obama. I'll defend that right with my life!

Lovely Day, Iggy (a proud American who happened to be born in Cuba)...

barrysloate
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Iggy, that's a horrifying story.

V117collector
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
There should be a rule about discussing Politics or Religion on this board. I can see how some threads can be taken over with the thought of Politics which can form a debate regarding social and economical issues. This is extremely hazardous to the board, especially if someone considers themselves correct on a specific point of view.

Let’s get back to the cards and only cards!!! For this reason I will take no part in this thread or any other Political discussions however tempting it may be…

joeadcock
10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
With respect to what you say Brad, I understand your point.

However, I also respect Iggyman's point.

My parents had every single thing they owned taken from them, as well as my grandparent's(their private school) in 1959 by the one elected in Cuba.

The populace elected him because they hated the one who ruled before him(much like what happened here with the hatred for Bush). Many in Miami fear that history is going to occur here again in this great country.

May this not occur.

Frank

Jim VB
10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Frank,

All due respect, but comparing 1950's Cuba and Castro, to 2009 USA and Obama is asinine.

joeadcock
10-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Jim

My comment was made of because of how I feel. I have that true past through my parents. It CANNOT be taken from me. I was simply supporting another(in this thread) who had somewhat of a connected past.

Every word I said is TRUE from some I know in Miami(who lived a hell I did not). Since I dont know the future, I choose not to knock them(no matter what I feel).

Though I an not happy of being connected to the word asinine, I defend your right to say it. No one has ever(that I remember) referred to me as such.

Jim, I do respect your knowledge and discussions of Baseball Cards. I hope to continue to learn much from you.

Frank

packs
10-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I think its a strange comparison too. Castro was a man with radically different societal ideas who changed the government system entirely. What similarity do you see in Obama's government thus far or in the populace of the country?

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 01:58 AM
There should be a rule about discussing Politics or Religion on this board. I can see how some threads can be taken over with the thought of Politics which can form a debate regarding social and economical issues. This is extremely hazardous to the board, especially if someone considers themselves correct on a specific point of view.

Let’s get back to the cards and only cards!!! For this reason I will take no part in this thread or any other Political discussions however tempting it may be…

I love people that are in favor of censorship, and burning books.

If you can't handle diversity ..... DON'T READ IT!

SIEG HEIL .....

Jim VB
10-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Jim

My comment was made of because of how I feel. I have that true past through my parents. It CANNOT be taken from me. I was simply supporting another(in this thread) who had somewhat of a connected past.

Every word I said is TRUE from some I know in Miami(who lived a hell I did not). Since I dont know the future, I choose not to knock them(no matter what I feel).

Though I an not happy of being connected to the word asinine, I defend your right to say it. No one has ever(that I remember) referred to me as such.

Jim, I do respect your knowledge and discussions of Baseball Cards. I hope to continue to learn much from you.

Frank

Frank,

I didn't say you were asinine. I said the comparison was. I'm not, in any way downplaying Iggy's horrible story. I'm saying that comparing Cuba, a country of military dictatorships and a history of coups, to the Obama administration is asinine.

Find another channel besides FOX. This is the USA. We have another election coming in 3 years, and another one in 7 years. In between, I suspect we will see very few military takeovers of public property.

This is not, in any way, intended to downplay what your family, or iggy's family went through.

Leon
10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
As we all know discussing politics on the board is generally a no-no. Every now and then a little bit seeps in and I don't think it's the end of the world. We all have our own views and I am not sure I have ever seen anyone on the board change their view by what was said on the board. We have discussed free speech a thousand times and it's great to live in a place where we CAN criticize someone in government and not worry about being thrown in jail for it. That being said this baseball card chat board isn't really the place to discuss these things. Iggy's and JoeAdcock's recollections sound horrific and I hope they never happen to anyone again....Lets please get back to baseball cards......thanks much..:)

edited to add that since this thread sort of started out political I guess it won't hurt to talk about it in this thread....but I really wouldn't want it going into other threads too....

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Pray tell, what numbers would you consider?

As for the non problem being spoken of.
What's the problem?
Let them get it off their chest.
It's only one thread, a thread with outspoken diversity.
Diversity is common place in larger cities ... Thank god, there's enough ignorance to lead to the current problems in this country.
Let the people speak.

To the ones that are threaten by diversity ... the solution is simple.
Instead of eradicating one of the freedoms that I thought I fought for in Korea, why don't you just slip over to one of the many vintage baseball threads on the board.
It's easy, even I can do it.
All you have to do is click back to the list of threads, and select the topic of YOUR choice.

Leon, as a former production stage manager, you're doing one hell of a job with this board.

Going in the direction of thought control, is not a desired path.
Throughout the centuries, it's been a path to failure.

Be daring, be different, allow them to let it all hang out.
Exposure to different thoughts, is not a dangerous thing.
It's only dangerous when every one has one thought, one mind.
Never be afraid to exchange thoughts with an opposing mind set.
You never know what an exchange can bring.
We just had eight wasted years of the above.

It's just one thread ... and the solution is easy.

Leon
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I have no problem with an off topic thread or two.....I was only saying "generally speaking".....if guys and girls want to discuss politics in this particular thread I don't see it hurting (or helping) too much. Go for it... I certainly don't tell people what to think or say. The other mods and I just try to keep it mainly to what we are here for. take care

ps...those are just 2 scarce early Cuban cards I acquired a while back....I really need a gray and a red background one too!!

V117collector
10-24-2009, 10:32 AM

I love people that are in favor of censorship, and burning books.

If you can't handle diversity ..... DON'T READ IT!

SIEG HEIL .....

Potomac Yank, your kind of creepy and far from funny!!! Please don't read my posts if you can't handle it!

If I'm going to talk about Fascism or "Communism" it won't be here on this board!!! It's called Net54baseball for a reason. If you want to talk about Politics or any of the chief political parties lmk via PM. I'll send you to the right place...

barrysloate
10-24-2009, 10:53 AM
The real problem discussing politics on this board is it gets ugly very quickly...if the discourse remains civil nobody should be offended by it.

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Potomac Yank, your kind of creepy and far from funny!!!

Brad, whatever gave you the idea that I was trying to be funny???

How old are you?

V117collector
10-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Brad, whatever gave you the idea that I was trying to be funny???

How old are you?

Old enough to know your a fisherman!!!:)

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Old enough to know your a fisherman!!!:)

You have a reading comprehension problem.

You're anti fisherman!!! :)

Anything beyond Vancouver B.C. is a total mystery to you.

With all due respect to the hip teenagers, that makes you sixteen. :)

In which case, let me throw you back, and step out of this discussion with you. ... Bye Bye Bradley!

Ladder7
10-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Great image. Is it intentional the artist used a Johnson?

Republicaninmass
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Find another channel besides FOX

Funny you and the white house have the same idea, stop drinking the KOOL AID...lol

The first Cubano to pitch in the USA I believe

http://www.bmwcards.com/ebaystore/55hrobinson.jpg

Jim VB
10-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Funny you and the white house have the same idea, stop drinking the KOOL AID...lol

LOL! In addition to being wrong about my politics, you're wrong on FOX and wrong on Robinson. (He was born in Panama.)

Dolf Luque pitched in the majors starting in 1914 or so. And I'm not even close to sure that he was the first Cuban to do so.

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM

You don't know post war, and you don't know Cuban baseball history.

What a wasted 5 days.

Republicaninmass
10-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Sorry yes FIRST Panamanian my bad...move along please

barrysloate
10-24-2009, 12:54 PM
There was a player by the name of Vincent Nava who debuted with Providence in 1882. Although he was born in San Francisco, I've heard he was of Cuban descent. I can't confirm that, however.

Jim VB
10-24-2009, 01:01 PM
There was a player by the name of Vincent Nava who debuted with Providence in 1882. Although he was born in San Francisco, I've heard he was of Cuban descent. I can't confirm that, however.

Generally the first Cuban to play in the bigs is acknowledged to be Esteban Enrique Bellan. He made his debut May 9, 1871.

He was not a pitcher, however, and the original statement was about pitching in the USA.

The understandable mix up with Robinson stood out to me only because he passed away recently and I read an article referencing his start in MLB and the timing 50+ years later with Mariano Rivera winding down his career.

barrysloate
10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Jim- now that I think of it, Bellan appeared on an 1871 Troy Haymakers CdV.

Potomac Yank
10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Generally the first Cuban to play in the bigs is acknowledged to be Esteban Enrique Bellan. He made his debut May 9, 1871.

He was not a pitcher, however, and the original statement was about pitching in the USA.

The understandable mix up with Robinson stood out to me only because he passed away recently and I read an article referencing his start in MLB and the timing 50+ years later with Mariano Rivera winding down his career.

Jim you're right, Esteban Bellan was the first Cuban to play professional baseball in the USA, just two years after the creation of professional teams.

At this moment I'm looking at an early program of a game played by the Troy Haymakers vs the New York Mutuals on October 2, 1871 at the Union Grounds.

Playing for the Haymakers:
McGerry, C.
York, C.F.
Flowers, S.S.
Flynn, 1st b.
King, l.f.
McMullin, p.
Pike, r.f.
Bellan, 3d b.
Craver, 2d b.

Playing for the Mutuals:
Hatfield, 2d b.
Patterson, l.f.
Start, 1st b.
Wolters, p.
Eggler, c.f.
Mills, c.
Ferguson, 3d b.
Pearce, s.s.
Higham, r.f.

The program is scored, and the Mutuals won 16 - 7.
The first year of the National Association.

joeadcock
10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Jim VB

Do not believe your assertions regarding `me are accurate. They could be correct only if you knew me personally.

I will no longer comment on this thread.

Matt
10-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Great image. Is it intentional the artist used a Johnson?

I also thought the collar/uni looked like Johnson's T206.