PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Copies (Slightly O/T)

mintacular
10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I was wondering if any collectors out there hoard multiple copies of the same card. If so, which one(s) and how many do you have? Do you try and pick up one in each grade, etc.? Thanks in advance for your comments, -Pat

JasonL
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I used to think that if I collected a few hundred of some key rookies back in the 80s that it would affect the market/price, but we've all learned since then about distribution numbers, etc and that proved foolhardy...

I do colelct as many pre-war cards of my relatives as I can find, any condition, but that's not getting at your question, really.

ChiefBenderForever
10-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I have several copies of Pete Rose but over the past year dumped most of my duplicates and now down to only 2-3 of each year except for his 63 and 64.

Wite3
10-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I know a couple of collectors that collect sets of 9. Meaning that they take a topps set like 1965 and collect nine of each card to fill a sheet.

I personally hoard certain Phillies that I love...I also have a massive amount of 1981 Topps #289 Mickey Hatcher cards. He was a favorite player and the last card I needed for my 1981 Topps set. I remember I got the card from a friend and left it on my bed to put in the binder...dog ate it...I was so upset and it took me another 3 weeks to locate another one. I love that card. Anybody have any they want to sell/trade?

Joshua

carrigansghost
10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I have an addiction to a certain few cards. At last count was at 64 T206's and 31 T205's. All Carrigan's.

Rawn

mintacular
10-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I know a couple of collectors that collect sets of 9. Meaning that they take a topps set like 1965 and collect nine of each card to fill a sheet.

That's kind of a neat idea, I've never heard of that but for a collector who is on a budget having (9) cards of each year makes a lot of sense! I did have a goal of collecting each Topps set from 1955-75 but maybe I could revise my plan...

I wonder how you choose the (9)?? I guess for me I would pick the key rookies, Pirates, and any other classic cards from the set...maybe a high # too.

uthminsta
10-24-2009, 01:04 PM
for a collector who is on a budget having (9) cards of each year

I am pretty sure they're talking about a couple of guys who collect NINE SETS of one particular year. I know someone who is working on nine 1965 Topps sets, and someone else who is working on nine 1978 sets.

But nine cards of each year would be a great idea. I actually thought about doing that. You could look through several years in one binder. You could go a hundred different ways - starting lineup for your favorite team... top nine home run leaders or strikeout leaders or etc... nine favorite poses from a set... nine players from your home state or home town... nine with your name... nine autographs...

Back on topic, I have a few things I collect/hoard. I have a "Shirley binder" that has one sheet for each card of players with the last name Shirley. Bart (1966-69), Bob (1978-87) and Al (1992-93). That leaves nine spaces for EACH issue. But the biggest hoarding I do is... I have an 800-count box full of 1982 K-Mart. The set is 44 cards, and I have 10 sets completed so far, and most of 13 sets. These cards aren't valuable, they're just the first baseball cards I ever got. I used to read the backs of them over and over and over, at recess in 2nd grade... so I thought it would be fun to get loads of them. It is! :)

mintacular
10-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Considering the original topic, yes it makes sense that Wite4 was referring to certain collectors that want (9) of each card for any given year. That seems like a pretty neat idea assuming you are obsessed with a certain year, etc.

JasonL
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Joshua, Ok, I gotta know...how many 1981 Mickey Hatcher cards is a "massive amount?"

Carrigans, 64 of the T206s!!??? That must be enough to affect the pricing, I would think...has the avg price gone up since you started?

carrigansghost
10-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Not that I have noticed, but then again I don't notice much. I'll stop at 100, I have the presentation planned out. Anyone want any discarded plastic cases?

Rawn