PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Instant Replay Mattel Disks

mintacular
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I know this a bit of a stretch from "sports cards" but I need a little help on 4 diff. 1971 complete sets (each w/8 player discs) from Mattel including: Football 1 & 2, Baseball, and Speed Machines. These sets have an original recorder which pops disks in and out well but doesn't seem to be playing them, unless I have battery D in wrong (?). In general everything has no more than average wear.

How valuable/rare/popular are these things? Any experience with them/info. would be helpful. I tried to research a bit online/eBay but didn't find enough info. Thanks in advance. -Pat

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/nollpm/Mattel.jpg

drc
10-20-2009, 02:38 AM
The individual discs are fairly easy to find but the totality that you have-- discs, holders, books, player-- is scarce to rare.

ajg
10-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Neat item Is it for sale?

mintacular
10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I had a hunch that as complete sets they are not all that common. Any ideas about the recorder? Can't seem to get it to play but then again I may not be putting in the battery right. I guess you can buy newer recorders to play the disks.

Has anyone actually listened to the disks? How long are they? Is it just a commentator reviewing career accomplishments, etc. of each player?

(PM sent to ajg)
(P.S. I just realized there is another forum I could've posted this Q related to non-card items, oops)

sfmays24
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Pat,

I still have the original box set, with player (that still works), 4 records and box.

Each plays a recap version, not the original event... let me know if you would like to trade or sell your record sets (or maybe trade/buy my set)?

Mike

drc
10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
The single discs are bought and sold non unlike trading cards, so your posts fits here.

I've owned some of the discs before and have never before seen a 'Mattel Discs master set' like you have. Your picture is the first time I've seen it.

hcv123
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I own a lot of the individual discs as well as a couple of unopened packs - different from what is pictured. I have seen the more common sports discs offered in the $5-10 range with the super stars in the $20-$40 range. I would be interested to purchase a single Clemente or the complete baseball sets and would consider a whole smorg at the right price. PM me if you'd like to talk.

-Howard

Exhibitman
10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Very nice display. I collect these as individual "cards" They were also sold in 4 piece blister packs. There are also two-sided disks on white plastic with the art pressed into the plastic rather than on labels. FWIW, 6 pocket sheets hold them perfectly.

I had the player when I was a kid. They are brief highlight recreations, very loud and excited sounding.

sfmays24
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Here's a photo of my original box set (instructions are on inside lid).

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/sfmays24/Img_8818.jpg?t=1256147804

Mike

toppcat
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's a photo of my original box set (instructions are on inside lid).

Mike

I had that exact set as a kid-got it for my birthday in '70 or '71. Long gone now, of course. I think there is a site that has audio from the discs somewhere.

mintacular
10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Appreciate all the comments/info. Is a neat little find. It's cool to learn about all these "oddball" cards/related items.