PDA

View Full Version : OTish - Vintage Football Doll Questions

aelefson
10-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Hi-
I recently acquired the vintage football doll scanned below and I was wondering if someone might be able to help with some questions I have.
1. Any idea of an approximate age on this doll?
2. A freind of mine said he has seen others of very similar makeup and size before. Some have different colored helmets and uniforms. Is this doll part of a set? If so, how many different ones are out there?
3. Do the colors represent a college? If so, which one? When I first bought it I assumed it was homemade for a high school player, but now I am unsure.
4. Could anyone post scans of similar dolls? Especially ones of this size and construction.
5. Any idea on the manufacturer (unless it is homemade)?
6. Any additional information concerning this doll or others like it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

aelefson
10-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi-
I figured I would bump this once to see if anyone knows anything about this doll. Is it homemade? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Rob D.
10-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Alan,

I can't shed any light on the specifics of the doll, but as to your question about whether it's homemade, I'd say with pretty good certainty that it is not. The quality of the doll overall and specifically the stitching seem to indicate that it was made commercially. I wish I had more to tell you about the doll itself.

aelefson
10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate your information. I will continue to research it.
Alan

Jantz
10-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Alan,

Ironically I was at a show yesterday and seen a gentleman carrying around a doll similar to your doll except his had a tan jersey & helmet. Wish I would have read your post earlier. Anyway, I checked a website called vintagedollcollector.com and found some info & pictures (see scans below). You also may want to check out these Ebay auctions - #330367844604 & 320435318564. They may hold some clues for you or maybe the seller can help.

I know nothing about these dolls nor am I the seller on Ebay who has these listed. I just found this stuff in my internet travels tonight.

Hope this helps, Jantz

aelefson
10-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Thanks Jantz! I checked the two EBAY auctions as well as the website. It appears that these dolls had a letter on the front jersey. I now need to determine what team used the colors on my doll in the 1940s- early 50s. I will spend some time googling and post the information (if I find any) in this thread. I really appreciate your help.
Alan

rman444
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread other than to say that I think he needs to change his pants :D