PDA

View Full Version : A good baseball day.

Brian Van Horn
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I went out to the Forbes Field wall in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh to celebrate the 49th anniversary of Mazeroski's home run (Yankees fans kindly put away the sharp objects). Although cold and windy, which is to be expected this time of the year in Pittsburgh, it was wonderful listening to a rebroadcast of an original recording from a station in Schenectady, NY. The gathering lasted from 1:00 p.m. to shortly before 3:30 p.m. It was not timed for Mazeroski's precise anniversary at 3:36 p.m.

While at the game, I met another Pirates fan by the name of Angelo and he told me that at 4:00 p.m. at Duquesne University a documentary made by students of Duquesne Graduate school of Journalism would be shown. Mike Clark of WTAE hosted the premiere of the movie, entitled, "Josh Gibson: The Legend Behind the Plate." Local sportscaster/celebrity Bill Hillgrove spoke and narrated the film. Gibson's grandson, Sean, also spoke and several members of the Gibson family were on hand. Proceeds were donated to the Josh Gibson Foundation. The film was an excellent production and featured interviews with Monte Irvin and other former Negro League players as well as Lou Brock.

All in all, a good baseball day.

ChiefBenderForever
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow what a day, one extreme to the other. Thats cool Gibson's grandson spoke. Everyone in the world knows Babe Ruth but mention Josh Gibson and you get a blank stare. Sounds like a great documentary.