PDA

View Full Version : 1934 PCL Champion Angels Cigarette Case

mccoydude
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I just bought what I think is a valuable piece of baseball history. It is a Sterling Silver Championship Cigarette Case engraved for each of the 1934 Los Angeles Angles of the Pacific Coast League. The player's name engraved on it is Walter Goebel. From the info I have found, he was a catcher on what is considered the #1 team in all of minor league history.

I plan on selling this item, but have no idea on it's worth. After 3 days of internet searching, I have only found one other example and it is in a museum in San Francisco.

Can anybody help me with a price estimate? I know I need to add pics and will try to do it tomorrow.

Thanks!!

mccoydude
10-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Tough taking pics of basically a mirror finish

Jacklitsch
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Doug:

Glad to see you took my suggestion. Give the guys some time someone will pick up on this and give you an opinion.

Steve

P.S. Very nice item!

mccoydude
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Steve,

Thanks for recommending this site! I am already getting some responses though email.

Doug

mccoydude
10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Still waiting for someone to give me a price estimate. HELP!!

perezfan
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I'll give it a shot... $600 -$800 would be an educated guess.

There just aren't enough comparable examples out there, so I'm going by prior sales of similar type items. Yours appears to be in flawless condition, which is a major plus.

But there may be a limited customer base for this item, in that most collectors are not likely aware of the significance of this team (despite its minor league dominance). If this were a major league item of significance (from a pennant winning team or a well-known star player) it could be worth 3 times as much.

Hope this is somewhat helpful...

drc
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
My rough round number guess would have been $1,000. It's a silver cigarette case, but it's also probably an award. In the olden days they used to give medals and trophies as awards, but also personal items like engraved watches, trinket boxes and silver plates. I once had an engraved silver belt buckle that was given as a tournament award, and an engraved silver trinket box given to an NBA coach. I'm no PCL historian or expert and am just offering speculation, but perhaps the team gave out engraved cigarette cases instead of championship rings.