PDA

View Full Version : JimCrandell's Card Museum . . .

30s_non-sport_gum
10-12-2009, 01:31 AM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/thread/1255208941/last-1255323994/The+Vintage+Card+Museum

Not sure if this has made it yet onto sportcard collectors' radar screens, but an interesting development.

Since Jim's idea also involves his graded baseball cards, thought you'd all be interested to read this thread, just underway, on the N54 non-sports vintage card forum.

barrysloate
10-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Good for Jim...hope it all works out. I know he is passionate about his collection. The general public will love looking at the cards, but can they relate to the slabs?

ullmandds
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I think that's a great idea...I hope Jim can get it to fly...I would certainly make the spiritual journey out there to see Jim's massive collection. I wonder if it will have a room...er a wing devoted to trimmed cards?:D:D:D:D

Flintboy
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I think ALOT of people just dont want to admit that some cards in thier collection are trimmed. If I was a major collector and a company was sliding by trimmed cards (knowingly or unknowingly) and it got out, ones collection would take a huge financial hit.

Epps
10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
A great example is the Harris collection. I do think that it is great that Jim is starting a museum though. He has a great collection.

ullmandds
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
It is documented that cards have been trimmed...practically as long as there have been cards. It never mattered much to the true collectors...then $$$$$ got in the way!

Comiskey
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Truthfully, I think it's a great idea to have a baseball card museum and commend Jim for doing it! I wish I would have been able to go to a baseball card museum when I was a little kid. Could you imagine what it would have been like to see baseball cards that were a hundred years old when you were 12 or 13? Maybe some of you had the opportunity, I know I didn't.

Also, I really don't care whether his cards are trimmed or not. He has an incredible collection and he "is" a collector. Just because he doesn't collect raw or lower grade, doesn't mean that he isn't a collector. The argument gets old.

Jeff

ullmandds
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree...first ever baseball card/other cards museum...this is an awesome idea and I hope it comes to fruition...I'd go! It would be great for the hobby!

Rich Klein
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
But I think his goal was to make a profit AND he did the museum in Cooperstown while still living in Wisconsin. Great idea but not totally executed.

Rich

ScottFandango
10-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Jim, ignore the haters, people get jealous and respond with hate posts..i deal with it also...i have haters (trolls) following me around Boards jealous of my Pujols Collection....it happens....just ignore it, they are usually of lesser intelligence anyway so its not worth your time or even your thought!

anyhow, i thought this set may be of interest to you...i know it debunks the sterotype "you collect pictures of men"......just display this set and BAM! no more funny comments!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/fikas231/carrera1.jpg

ChiefBenderForever
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
It could be a good move for PSA to team up and make a museum grading center. People could come in and get cards graded on the spot and compare to notch examples up on the walls.

Peter_Spaeth
10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
In rural Georgia?

ChiefBenderForever
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
In rural Georgia?

" If you build it, they will come ! "

Flintboy
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Fandango is that post in reference to me?

ScottFandango
10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Fandango is that post in reference to me?

no, i have no idea what you refer to...

i was serious, i was giving jim a suggestion on another set if he hadnt already started it---they are available in PSA 8 like he desires....