PDA

View Full Version : Beware james boland scammer

JasonD08
10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Beware James Boland scammer. He purchased a card (T204 Ramly on ebay) in July and then bought 2 cards (1932 US Carmael Ruth PSA 6 and 1934 Goudey Gehrig SGC 60) privately through paypal in late August. Just yesterday the guy filed a chargeback with his CC company he had with paypal for $8,600.50 which paypal deducted from my account. I have proof of delivery and it has been quite awhile since he received the cards. His phone number no longer works and he has been removed from ebay. The guy has addresses in Murrells Inlet SC and Garden City SC. Please be careful and beware. His email is jamboland76@aol.com and ebay ID is field_of_dreams76.

Jason

D. Bergin
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Why does Paypal not instigate an investigation with the Credit card company when something like this happens? Especially with an amount that big.

If it was a straight transacation with a merchant account the credit card company contacts the merchant and an investigation ensues as to whether it was a legitimate charge.

Seems like if there is any question with a Paypal transaction, Paypal rolls over and says to the CC company, "No worries, we'll just take the money back from our guy", and moves on without really caring whether somebody just got ripped off or not.

:mad:

botn
10-11-2009, 02:28 PM
It is no longer safe to leave money in your paypal account. As far as I know they cannot take money out of your linked accounts be that bank accounts or credit cards. Worst they can do is issue a charge back and shut down your account until you fund the charge back.

Sorry this has happened to you Jason. I suspect this type of activity is going to become more commonplace. How can a seller be comfortable doing business on ebay these days?

J.McMurry
10-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Surely this is gonna result in a major lawsuit against paypal and the credit card companies as more scumbags figure out they can do this and similar incidents increase.

botn
10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Surely this is gonna result in a major lawsuit against paypal and the credit card companies as more scumbags figure out they can do this and similar incidents increase.

One can only hope.

JasonD08
10-11-2009, 05:52 PM
It is unfortunate. My correspondence with paypal has been less than desirable so far. They will not release his CC info so I cannot fight them myself. Also their "chargeback-response" team will not accept phone calls only emails or fax. It is very frustrating. Any attorneys on here chime in please. I am considering lawsuit with punitive damages against them if this is not resolved asap. I have emailed them detailed letter with very solid proof. I have his signature along with postal confirmation of delivery. ALso proof that he was shut down by ebay and no longer working phone. Still they say it is up to his CC company to investigate. I am very soured to paypal. Only option now is to start a bank account soley for paypal and keep it empty. I will be offering all of my SGC AUT OJs here listed on ebay uinder pastime08 for 60% as a group of my BIN to anyone who may have interest. THis will help me out in the meantime. Even though these are only AUT they are all rare poses I think. If there are any attorneys here who can give some feedback please do.

THanks
Jason

Jantz
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about this and I hope you get your money back. This same thing happened to my friend, although not quite the amount of money as you. Not only did he have to deal with the chargeback, but Paypal froze his account and he had no access to the remaining funds in his account. My suggestion is to do as you mentioned in your post. Open an account strictly for Paypal and keep the balance low. This is what I have done and if you decide to buy something then deposit what you need. Most sellers understand about the 3-5 days wait to process. I usually contact a seller in advance so that they know. Good luck, I hope you catch him.

Jantz

dennis
10-12-2009, 04:54 AM
can paypal take funds out of your bank account if it is attached to your paypal account,or only funds in your paypal accout???

John V
10-12-2009, 05:40 AM
For a purchase, they take from your PayPal balance first, then the difference from your bank account. I've seen this multiple times when I make a purchase.
I'm not sure if a chargeback would go the same route.

timzcardz
10-12-2009, 06:44 AM
It doesn't sound very good.

PayPal does need to do something about fraudulent chargebacks, but then is law enforcement an avenue for you to pursue in this case too?

Good Luck!

I have had a separate checking account tied to my PayPal account since day one, and I keep almost nothing in it. It lets me sleep better at night.

Doug
10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I have had a separate checking account tied to my PayPal account since day one, and I keep almost nothing in it. It lets me sleep better at night.

That seems like the best idea, but it's still disturbing that their approach to handling chargebacks is to just take the money back from you and wash their hands of the issue.

danmckee
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
This is the same exact thing that happened to my buddy!!! I posted about a month ago. Dan

iggyman
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
can paypal take funds out of your bank account if it is attached to your paypal account,or only funds in your paypal accout???

Does anybody know the answer to the question Dennis posed (in regards to a charge-back)??? Any first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Lovely Day...

Jacklitsch
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
The latest pronouncement on the question raised above;

10.2 Reimbursement for Your Liability. In the event that you are liable for any amounts owed to PayPal, PayPal may immediately remove such amounts from your Balance. If you do not have a Balance that is sufficient to cover your liability, your Account will have a negative Balance and you will be required to immediately add funds to your Balance to eliminate the negative Balance. If you do not do so, PayPal may engage in collection efforts to recover such amounts from you.”

Impiedly then they cannot go into your linked bank account or charge card.

Their "collection efforts" include a liquidated damages provision of $2,500 in addition to the amounts owed.

I think paypal would be hard pressed to win a case if one were able to show that the product was delivered, signed for, and that the charge back is nothing more than a scam.

danmckee
10-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Great info Steve and a question that needed to be answered. What happens if the stolen property surfaces in public? How would something like that be handled? thanks Dan.

calaban7
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
A couple of years ago , I sold some very expensive coins on Ebay . The guy paid quickly and I mailed them off , with all the bells and whistles . This included signature confirmation, insurance , etc. About 45 days later my account was crushed with a chargeback . The guy ( who worked for the Justice department ) had used his wife's credit card and she not regonizing it reported it as fraud and the wheels began to turn.

I lived in Baltimore MD, he in Fairfax VA. I began by calling his home ( from Ebay ). He emailed me back , from his job . At that point I knew I had him. I shot an email back , basiclly reminding him that I only lived about 45 miles away and really wanted to get my money from him , before anyone else became involved. I received an overnite payment the next day.

I've had other buyers rip me off , which was largely my mistakes , for not using common sense , when mailing expensive items . I had shipped to unconfirmed addresses . Now I no longer sell on Ebay , because its a buyers market with , in my eyes , little seller protection.

I hope this works out well in the end for you---- Sonny

JasonD08
10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Almost 20 days later and still 0 help from paypal. I am forwarding all evidence to their legal department and now have decided to get my attorney involved. I called the local FBI and authorities where this guy is supposedly from with no luck. They said I have to file a complaint here first.

Jason

Ladder7
10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Jason, Did you call his local PD?.. Many now have online fraud trained detectives. A cruiser pulling up to a residence can be highly persuasive.

There is no MIPD or GCPD... Horry County Sheriff's Office covers the Garden City/Murrell's Inlet district but they'd need the specific address's to determine jurisdiction;

Officer Johnny Mitchell seemed eager to hear from you. 843 915-7953 or the Main number 843 915-5450 and ask to be connected to PD dispatch.

Get 'em, http://www.granitegrok.com/pix/cop%20kicks%20ass.jpg

Bosox Blair
10-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Jason,

I'm very sad to hear of this scam against you. I have purchased a few cards from you and those deals were very smooth. I hope somehow this works out OK for you.

JasonD08
10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Steve-

Thanks for the info. I actually called them already and they said they cannot do a report over the phone that I had to file it with my local authroities. I will give officer Mitchell a try. Thanks for the help.

Blair-

THank you for the kind words.

I am thinking of making a trip and resolving it myself. Looks like it may have to come to that.

Jason