PDA

View Full Version : Mile High 67 Topps Standups

toppcat
10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Did anyone here win the lot of 6 Standups in off condition (lot 1319?) I would be interested in purchasing the Alvis card if available.

paul
10-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Why does everyone (including the Standard Catalog) refer to these as a 1967 issue? I was bidding on the Jim Hunter (I lost), and it list him as a member of the Oakland A's. The A's didn't move to Oakland until 1968. So isn't this a 1968 issue?

toppcat
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Why does everyone (including the Standard Catalog) refer to these as a 1967 issue? I was bidding on the Jim Hunter (I lost), and it list him as a member of the Oakland A's. The A's didn't move to Oakland until 1968. So isn't this a 1968 issue?

That, my man, is a really good observation.

The move to Oakland was announced mid October, 1967 so I would guess that the thin proofs are somehow positively id'd from a point in '67 after that while the die cut cards were likely produced in the late fall/early winter of 67/68. I've always assumed any test issues from their start in '66 thru Woody Gelman's leaving Topps in the early 70's were sold in some fashion through the Card Collector's Co. with info and dating by Woody and I'm 99% sure these fall into that category.

But you are right, the cards would have been meant for distribution in '68 based on the Hunter. Does anyone know what the thin Hunter proof has for a city? This explains his logo-less cap too.