PDA

View Full Version : O/T: TV Sponsors, Media and MLB Holds It's Breath

tbob
10-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Minnesota 13 Kansas City 4. The Twins made up 7 games back and 3 down with 4 games to go in the season (first time ever in baseball history) to complete an incredible comeback. Ignored by the media all season long, the specter of The Twins being in the playoffs and, could it possibly be 1987 again, in the Series has to have a lot of moneymen and media quaking. Instead of showing the Twins incredible comeback this weekend on TV, ESPN and FOX opted to show the Cards (already in) and in passing the Tigers. With a bunch of fresh faced kids and some aging veterans thrown in, the Twins survived the loss of AL MVP Justin Morneau, their best pitcher Kevin Slowey, and top bull pen reliever Pat Neshek to patch it together and tie for the Division title on sheer guts.
Instead of New York v. Philadelphia or Boston v. Los Angeles, how incredible would it be to have Colorado v. Minnesota, two small market teams in the Series. Advertisers and media guys like Peter Gammons would hate it but baseball fans in Oakland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc. would love it.
OK, they still have to win Tuesday night in the play-in (they fell 1-0 in the 163rd game last year) and beating the Yankees would be a Herculeian task but we can still dream.
For 2 more days, at least, I am on top of the world :D

sox1903wschamp
10-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Congrats to the Twins and good luck Tuesday.

calvindog
10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Bob, I like the Twins and what they did without Morneau is pretty incredible. And I think they'll beat Detroit tomorrow. And then get destroyed by the Yankees.

I watch Mauer and all I can think is how good he'll look in pinstripes in the near future. :)

HRBAKER
10-04-2009, 04:30 PM
C'mon Bob don't you know to the media the only thing in Minnesota that matters is Brett Favre. They are way too busy slobbering all over him to notice the Twins. BTW, congrats to the Twins for an incredible run. I too hope it is not over.

tbob
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Just finished watching the closing of the Metrodome celebration on tv and I had to wipe away a tear as they saved the last player on the all-Metrodome team for last, Kirby Puckett. I wasn't alone I guarantee that.
They then zipped away to the new beautiful Target Field where Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew and Tony Oliva raised the new flags.
What a great day!!!
P.S. Joe Maurer isn't going anywhere. He has become the most beloved sports figure in the history of the State Of Minnesota (he grew up in St. Paul) and the Twins will pay whatever they have to to keep him. The Pohlad kids are the richest owners in major league baseball and realize the explosion which would occur if they let him go.

ullmandds
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I went to the game today...it was rockin'! What a comeback for the twinkies this year...I hope the outcome is different from last year's playoff! It's a great time to be in MN...with the twins and vikes... But as a Yankee fan at heart...I must agree with Calvindog...and I can't wait to witness the carnage!

barrysloate
10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Joe Mauer is a new breed of ballplayer...a young catcher who has already won three batting titles! It's unprecedented.

Hope the Twins win on Tuesday, but without Morneau they will have a tough time in the playoffs.

FrankWakefield
10-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Still annoyed with what happened in 1987, I'm still thinking some Cardinal fan should have helicoptered over that garbage-bag-dome and dropped something on there to burn it away. Then the game could be played in conditions that would allow players to hear the bat hit the ball, hear the coaches, the catcher on relays... it is an insane place to attempt to play a baseball game when it is full of fans. So I'm hoping their season ends soon...

You guys Yin away, I'm Yanging on this one.

tbob
10-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Mike Cuddyer has moved to first base and put the Twins on his back and carried them in September. Delmon Young has moved to left field permanently and looks finally like the guy who was the #1 pick in the Draft his year. O-Cab has been added and since he became the shortstop, things have stabilized. We'll be ok without Morneau.
The X-factor is rookie Brian Duensing. The lefty is 5-1 as a starter and will go Game 1 in Yankee stadium. He will not be psyched out pitching there like Baker, Blackburn, Liriano, Nathan, etc. would and have been.
It will be fun if Baker can pitch up to his talent Tuesday night in front of the loudest crowd in MLB.
I didn't make it to the Series in '91 but if the Cards and Twins square off this year I will be there in St. Louis.
Twins in '09? Longshot, but in the words of Tug McGraw, you've got to believe!

tbob
10-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Frank- The Cardinals played on concrete painted green so their stadium hardly qualified as a great place to play. I agree the Dome sucks and am glad the guys are back out doors next year but the real surprise is that someone in the media doesn't make them the darlings this year with their low budget ways and roster full of youngsters.
You bet I am Yining :D

calvindog
10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
P.S. Joe Maurer isn't going anywhere. He has become the most beloved sports figure in the history of the State Of Minnesota.

I thought Favre was? Seriously, Maurer is incredible and I agree the Twins will pay him anything he wants. He's a once in a generation player and surely the MVP of the league this year. Even without Morneau the Twins are dangerous but I just don't think their pitching will get them anywhere in the postseason. With all those pieces in place I would hope their owners would spend some money at last on pitching because they're potentially a fantastic team.

sox1903wschamp
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
But as a Yankee fan at heart...I must agree with Calvindog...and I can't wait to witness the carnage!

Yes the Bombers should crush whoever emerges from the Central but I have to say I will be lovin it if the 103 and 59 boys falter :). Pressure is all on them.

Sterling Sports Auctions
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
The Twins were on Fox on Saturday in MN, but I find it curious that the tie breaker game is at 4pm cst on WTBS (what else do they have on in prime time to get better ratings?). For a team that has not won a WS title from 2002- present they may be the most exciting team in baseball.

The Twins have produced 4 (hopefully 5) Division titles, Cy YOung awards winners, MVP's, Gold Glovers and Batting champs. I don't think even the big money spender can boast this.

What a great ride, I only hope it continues for longer than Tuesday,

Lee

barrysloate
10-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Nobody mentioned the extraordinary thing A-Rod did yesterday, and in a lifetime of following baseball I have to say I haven't seen anything quite like it.

So A-Rod has had 12 seasons of 30 HR, 100 RBI's tying a major league record. But going into the final game of a disappointing year with 28 HR and 93 RBI, a record 13th just wasn't going to happen. And when he came up to bat in the 6th inning for arguably his last at bat of the season, it wasn't even an issue.

So what does he do? He hits a three run homer, the Yankees bat around, and in his second plate appearance of the inning hits a grand slam. Thus, he finishes the season with exactly 30 HR and 100 RBI, a new major league record; and his 7 RBI in an inning establishes a new American League record.

Now that is what I call a statistical freak.

Al C.risafulli
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't call A-Rod's season disappointing, though. He was coming off surgery, still came back and hit 30 HR with a .400 OBP.

That being said, I really like both the Tigers and the Twins. I've ALWAYS liked the Twins. I like how they've assembled their team. Mauer is a monster.

That said, I can't let Joann down. I'll be rooting for Detroit tonight. :)

-Al

prewarsports
10-05-2009, 10:26 AM
October = Root for whoever plays against the Yankees. Go Twins!

barrysloate
10-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Al- if you asked A-Rod the question, he would probably tell you it was disappointing for him. That said, 30 HR and 100 RBI is certainly decent.

Orioles1954
10-05-2009, 10:42 AM
C'mon, rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Wal-Mart against Joe's Variety Shop in a fundraising campaign. Even if you win, there is really no victory. I think the 7 RBI's might be attributed to a new injection cycle kicking in? :)

calvindog
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Barry, I agree completely. What ARod did yesterday is hard to fully comprehend. But the man loves his statistics so much that he somehow willed himself to do it....now if only he cared as much about his post-seasons stats!

barrysloate
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree A-Rod better not fold again in the post season. In fact, if the Yankees don't win it all it will be a huge collapse. They were far and away the best team during the regular season...whether you root for them or not.

tbob
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Peter Gammons did his best to dis the Twins today. Speaking on Colin Cowherd's radio show on ESPN he never once mentioned the Twins, instead he and Colin bemoaned the fact Verlander won't be starting Game 1 of the playoff against the Yankees, having to wait until Game 2 to pitch.
Is there any team more disrespected in baseball than the Twins? That's ok, we were disrespected in '87 and '91 too. If Scotty Baker pitches up to his ability tomorrow night the Yanks will get to play again in the Dome. Don't forget the Twins are 7-3 against the Tigers this year in the Dome and Baker is 11-3 down the stretch this year. As a wise man once said, once you get in to the playoffs, anything can happen. Remember the Cards sneaking in a few years ago with a record about equal to the Twins and winning it all? Stranger things have happened. How 'bout those 1906 Hitless Wonder White Sox and the 1914 Miracle Braves? :D

JasonL
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Heh, heh...
sad how baseball has completely lost September to the NFL

But, I'm jaded. I'm a lifeling Cubs fan, so I am conditioned to stop watching baseball on August 1st.

Orioles1954
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
As an Orioles fan, it's kind of relaxing to not have to play meaningful baseball. I have such low expectations of them, they never let me down.

Jim VB
10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
That said, I can't let Joann down. I'll be rooting for Detroit tonight. :)

-Al

OK. But who will you be rooting for tomorrow afternoon, after they take down the goalposts and rebuild the mound?

:D

Al C.risafulli
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
All day, Jim, I've thought the game was tonight. I just posted that on Facebook and someone corrected me.

Tomorrow night I'll be rooting for the Orioles.

-Al

chaddurbin
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
tbob sorry but i'm rooting for detroit...i think they'll put up a better resistance to the evil empire. frankly besides mauer i'm not excited about anybody else on that team...cuddyer/gomes/young a bunch of mehs. i hope liriano will get back on his pre-injury track...dominant lefties are scarce commodity.

i think a sitcom starring adrian peterson and joe mauer would get 100% ratings in minnesota.

Joe_G.
10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm late to this party but want to give a little support for the Tigers. It has been tough to watch them play since the All Star Break (.500 ball) but I'm still rooting for a Worst-to-First finish (they were dead last in the Central last year). 2009 was supposed to be a dog race between Cleveland, Minnesota, and White Sox (pre-season fodder). Detroit is the biggest surprise of 2009.

Go Tigers !

On a parallel, I'm disgusted by Cabrera's actions this past weekend, almost keeps me from posting anything pro-Tigers at the moment.

ChiefBenderForever
10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
If we can get by Detroit we will Destroy the Yankees most likely an easy sweep!

nolemmings
10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
If we can get by Detroit we will Destroy the Yankees most likely an easy sweep!

Waiter, I'll have what he's drinking.

ChiefBenderForever
10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Waiter, I'll have what he's drinking.

I can't wait to watch Arod choke like he always does and take the blame for a quick end to a great season. The Yankees are cursed with Arod and destroying the house that Ruth built they have no chance, although Jeter is the man !! Twins Win !!!!!!!!!!!!!

chaddurbin
10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
oh yea, derek jeter is a winnar...he's the yankees all-time hit leader, which makes him baseball's all-time hit leader since 1 yankee hit=1.8 regular hit anywhere else (or 2.1 in kansas city)...mr. dreamy mcclutch.

arod on the other hand is a clubhouse cancer who only hit solo hrs when they're down 8-1 (because jeter wasn't playing that day to will the team) and shrinks up in october like his testicles after a cycle and give girly slaps unbefitting of a TRUE YANKEE (i'm sure that's trademarked somewhere).

GO DODGERS! :)

ullmandds
10-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Maybe Arod and Manny can compare testicles after their repective cycles...I predict the twins will be detroit handily(as M. cabrera is probably schnockered right now)...then will lose to the mighty yankees in 5.

Rich Klein
10-06-2009, 05:02 AM
One of the worst ratings up to that time was the Yankees/Mets World Series in 2000. The reason was that outside of that NY Metropolitan area; few people truly cared.

MLB would like to see Yankees/Cardinals as the Cards have a huge midwest population. Gammons said yesterday that the Dodgers are no longer a huge national draw (Which surprised me)

But would it not be fun to see a Twins/Rockies series; and at least you know the AL games would all be played

Rich

calvindog
10-06-2009, 05:51 AM
I think a Detroit win today would be a huge upset. Too much in the Twins' favor today.

sagard
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Anytime you ask a lineup with Nick Punto, Nate Tolbert, and Delmon Young with a non-descript starter and a shaky bullpen to win a game you are in big trouble. The Twins have defied the odds in sixteen of twenty. Hopefully they can do it one more time.

Sterling Sports Auctions
10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Just for reference on the Twins bullpen, check out the back 3 guys: Mejiares, Guerrier, and Nathan. ERA's 2.15 to 2.34, Not to many teams stack up to them. With the addition of Rauch, I think we are in really good shape.

If Porcello doesn't have a good start, the Twins are off to NY!!!!!!

Lee

tbob
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
The Twins just aren't a glitzy team, no steroids, too many white guys who look 18 years old and the best kept secret in MLB, Denard Span. They play hard every game and bust their asses despite having one of the lowest payrolls in baseball (bye bye Santana, Ortiz, etc).
But there will be 55,000 screaming hankie waving fans who believe, in the loudest stadium in professional sports. Who knows? Get by the Tigers and the fun begins. :p

barrysloate
10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Extra innings...now this is a great game. Inge just saved it for the Tigers.

Rob D.
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't get home until the seventh inning, so I wasn't able to watch on TBS. Did the Twins get any respect during the first six innings?

calvindog
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
No but they didn't shoot up any 'roids either.

barrysloate
10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Porcello pitched a great six innings against them...now Inge looks like the hero with that two out double. Twins need some pixie dust.

ChiefBenderForever
10-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Not looking good, 3 outs away from heartbreak but what a game.

barrysloate
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Unbelievable!

chaddurbin
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
OMG what an effin game! got home in time for a great finish here.

calvindog
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
That Carlos Gomez for Johan Santana trade looks pretty bad for the Mets right about now.

tbob
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM
AIN'T NO STOPPING US NOW!!!!:D

Seriously, that darn Metrodome refuses to give up its team. No team in history has ever won a title the year their stadium was closed down.
Congrats to the boys, never giving up.
Again, in the words of Tug McGraw, "You've Gotta Believe!";)

nolemmings
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
That Carlos Gomez for Johan Santana trade looks pretty bad for the Mets right about now. :D

A huge tip of the hat to the Tigers, who showed unbelievable fight. A sub-.200 hitter who looks like Zoilo Versalles takes a big step out of the dog house he found himself in all year.

If a third of the post-season games even remotely resemble this tie-breaker, we're gonna have a fantastic October.

Now, who is it we've got tomorrow???????

tbob
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
0-7 against the Yanks in the regular season. Having to start the playoffs less than 24 hours after you win a dramatic extrainning war. Facing CC Sabathia at his stadium.
We've got those Bronx Boys just where we want 'em. :rolleyes:

Anthony S.
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Only 8 Twins pitchers used in the game tonight. Who throws harder: Kubel or Cuddyer?

tbob
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I didn't get home until the seventh inning, so I wasn't able to watch on TBS. Did the Twins get any respect during the first six innings?

Who gives a damn about respect, we are in the playoffs :p

Brian Duensing, the X factor goes tomorrow night. He is a rookie who pitched most of the year in Rochester while the Twins screwed around with Liriano and Perkins. He is a lefty and is fearless. Sure the Yanks are the best team in baseball but there is something to be said for momentum in baseball and O-Cab was the ignitor we needed. He's been on 4 playoff teams in 5 years with 4 different teams and he has been the spark. Plus Joe Maurer is the best player in the American League and arguably (sorry Pujols) all of baseball.

Jim VB
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
A great game, although I thought Leland was pressing it too far to leave Rodney in the game that long. I think he got the last 2 outs in the 9th, pitched the 10th and 11th and came back out for the 12th.

He threw 48 pitches and that's a lot for a closer. He had nothing left at the end. Lots of off speed stuff at 82 MPH vs. 98 MPH early on.

ullmandds
10-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Holy Cow...what a game...the yankees are coming the yankees are coming!!!! Did I hear "start spreading the news at the dome on the radio?"

Rob D.
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Good to see that finally clicked in.

tbob
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Rob old buddy, even your little witicisms can't spoil a great evening.
:p

slidekellyslide
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Brian Duensing, the X factor goes tomorrow night. He is a rookie who pitched most of the year in Rochester while the Twins screwed around with Liriano and Perkins. He is a lefty and is fearless. Sure the Yanks are the best team in baseball but there is something to be said for momentum in baseball and O-Cab was the ignitor we needed. He's been on 4 playoff teams in 5 years with 4 different teams and he has been the spark. Plus Joe Maurer is the best player in the American League and arguably (sorry Pujols) all of baseball.

Duensing is also a former Husker so you know I'll be pulling for the Twins tomorrow...of course I'll pull for anyone playing against the Yankees...even if former Husker Joba is pitching.

Dan

teetwoohsix
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Right on Quan,I was wondering if there were anymore Dodger fans here---LETS GO DODGERS!!!!!!

ChiefBenderForever
10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Much respect to Detroit tough way to end the season I thought they had it. Only question now is do the Yankees have a chance?

Joe_G.
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats to the Twins, it was a great game to watch, every pitch had me on edge. Tigers should have never allowed it to reach a 163rd game, they were their own worst enemy down the stretch. But as far as a tie-breaker goes, that was exciting baseball.

mets41
10-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I will be going by my usual rooting in this year's post season--ABP (anyone but phillies).

Rich Klein
10-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Congrats to the Dodgers who moved on in the battle of future HOF managers.

And I'm sure they are saying silent thanks to the sickest man in America, Matt Holliday!

Rich

barrysloate
10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Poor Jonathan Papelbon! I bet he's never felt worse than he feels now. :(

calvindog
10-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Boy, did that team get old fast. They need to be rebuilt, not tinkered with at this point.

chaddurbin
10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
when you throw 187 consecutive fastballs, big league hitters will eventually catch on.

GoldenAge50s
10-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Red Sox were a huge disappointment in that series--Best pitchers beaten, hitting went completely south, and bullpen star failed!

I think Terry should have let Wagner finish the 8th & Pap start the 9th.

tbob
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Despite the fact the Yankees were more talented and more experienced, it was the fact the Twins had some really stupid players that turned the series. Nick Punto has been a bonehead all year and he and Carlos Gomez have IQs smaller than their hat sizes.
Congrats to Pavano for pitching his guts out tonight. He deserved a better fate.
It figures that the steroid poster boys, A-Rod and Petit, would doom our guys. :mad:

Peter_Spaeth
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
when you throw 187 consecutive fastballs, big league hitters will eventually catch on.

No movement on it today. Awful. He was working on a splitter earlier in the year, but no sign of it.

calvindog
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Congrats to Pavano for pitching his guts out tonight. He deserved a better fate. It figures that the steroid poster boys, A-Rod and Petit, would doom our guys. :mad:

Pettite is a steroids 'poster boy?'

Jim VB
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Pettite is a steroids 'poster boy?'

Jeff,

As Tip O'Neill said, "All politics is local."

So is all baseball spin. On Saturday, The Dallas Morning News story on the Friday night Yankees-Twins game had a classic headline.

Ex-Rangers Power Yankees