PDA

View Full Version : T206 Honus Wagner Backs

swschultz
10-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Can you folks tell me for sure how many T206 Honus Wagner backs there are? In the minimal research I have done, I have only heard of the Piedmont and the Sweet Caporal. Maybe there are many more, but I don't know. Has anyone seen one with a Sovereign 460 back? I came across one of these potentially for sale.

It seems to me that if someone was going to fake one of these cards, they would consider running with one of the known Wagner backs (probably meaning Piedmont) that are known to be more scarce. Of course a more common back would raise less red flags and still bring in a good amount of money, if someone could pull of the sale. Just thinking out loud.

If Piedmont backs are scarce, and Sovereign backs are unheard of, I would figure the Sovereign to potentially bring a higher dollar (taking into consideration condition of course) if it were original.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but are there any official records out there (from the original manufacturers) of what cards were printed with which style of backs? Is it that there are only two types of back for the Wagner card, or only two known types?

Of course there are the T206's that were allegedly printed in the 50's. Could the card I've seen been of of these?

I posted this same question on the gameused forum, but have not had much of a reponse. I figured this might be a better place for feedback.

Any thoughts?

chiprop
10-02-2009, 07:12 PM
it's fake! Pass on it.

iggyman
10-02-2009, 07:37 PM
The T206 Wagner card was printed only with two backs.....

Piedmont 150 Factory 25

Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 25

Sorry, but your card is as fake as your local politician...

Lovely Day...

tedzan
10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
The Honus Wagner card can be found with these 3 backs......

Piedmont 150 Factory 25

Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 25

Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 30

The Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 25 card of Wagner appears to be
the back most often seen.

TED Z