PDA

View Full Version : Paper Show in Allentown

ibuysportsephemera
10-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Anyone going tomorrow to the Paper Show in Allentown PA?

Jeff

roarfrom34
10-02-2009, 07:28 AM
I'll be there as a "first timer." I hope they have some baseball material....Any idea?

GrayGhost
10-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Paper shows are a blast. Im sure you'll find some baseball, but its usually overpriced, or picked thru by dealers, like at Papermania in Hartford.

I do recall finding a Sherry McGee Leather once, for 25.00 at a paper show. Man, I wish I still had that, tho I did make money on it.

Good luck at the show, and let us know if you guys find some cool stuff.

docpatlv
10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Jeff,

Where is the show being held at and is it all weekend long? Also, is there a decent amount of sports related material or is it mostly non-sports items?

Thanks,

Mike

bcbgcbrcb
10-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I was there for the last show during the summer. Although it is very interesting to look through all kinds of vintage collectibles from many areas, there was very little in the way of any quality vintage baseball/sports collectibles. It seems that a lot of dealers at these types of shows are taken back when I, as a customer, ask if they have any old baseball collectibles. It almost seems like they think I am trying to "put one over on them" by attempting to pick up a potentially valuable piece. Anyway, I have never found anything baseball-related worthwhile at these types of shows. I'm sure others have had different experiences though.

ibuysportsephemera
10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
It is at the Allentown Fair Grounds...just Saturday.

Since I collect all types of sports (not just baseball) related ephemera, I can usually find something good to make the trip worthwhile. Every show is different and you never know what you will find. If you only collect pre-war baseball cards...most antique shows, ephemera shows or flea markets are probably not for you (IMO).

Usually I would not brag, because I would rather not have the competition....but the last time I was at this show, some of my better pick-ups were:

1940 Brooklyn Dodgers Baseball Pre-Season Program vs. Jersey City Giants
1961 NY Titans AFL Football Program vs. Denver
Many 1950's & 1960's Baltimore Colts Paper Items (xmas cards, skeds, etc.).
Group of 1940's college basketball programs
1950's Big name boxing wire photos with stamp & captions.

The best part is that I paid wholesale prices for most and an unbelievable price for 2 of the items above.

Jeff