PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Sports Signature Sale Closes TONIGHT – October 1st, 2009!

petecld
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that bidding for the cards in our October Signature sale closes TONIGHT, Thursday October 1st. We are pleased to offer a wide variety of cards ranging from 1872 CDVs which once belonged to George Wright to 1950's Topps. Some highlights:

- 19th Century N172 Old Judge singles and lots;
- Four key 19th Century items: 1872 CDVs of Harry Wright, George Wright and Albert Spaulding. All from the George Wright collection and a fantastic 1888 Baseball World Tour cabinet photo of Cap Anson;
- T206s including two Eddie Plank and three high grade Walter Johnson cards;
- 1927 Honey Boys near set;
- 1928 Harrington’s Ice Cream including Cobb, Ruth and one of the two known Earl Smith cards;
- A Joe DiMaggio 1930’s Zeenut, R303-B Goudey and V351 WWG Premiums;
- A selection of scarcities including a 1911 Zeenut Buck Weaver, a D304 trio of Wagner, Mathewson and Young, multiple 1933 and 1934 Goudey Ruth and Gehrig cards, 1952 Topps Mantle cards in a range of grades plus a lot more.

Our bidding format is very easy. Open bidding for cards ends tonight at 10:00 pm (central time). Then each lot ends on a 30-minute clock rule. If no one bids on a lot for 30 minutes, the lot closes.

Just to clear up a little confusion after the last auction: The way our system is set up if you have NOT bid on a lot by 10:00 pm tonight that lot will appear closed TO YOU--not to everyone—at 10:00pm. The lot will be open and show the remaining time left but just to those who have placed a bid. No one needs to worry that someone will try to cheat and bid after the open bid period to snipe a lot.

Can’t remember if you placed a bid on a lot? The easiest way to tell is to login and use the “MyBids” link under the “MyHeritage” button. If you don’t see a lot on that “MyBids” list, you have not placed a bid on that lot. I would hate to see someone get shut out because they thought they bid, please check now.

If you have any problems or questions please email me at peterc@ha.com or call me at 214-409-1789.

Thank you for bidding and good luck to all,

Peter Calderon

uniship
10-01-2009, 08:06 PM
if we are not bidding on an item but want to see the price movements "after hours", will the price updates be able to be viewed by the people who have not bid on that item yet (even though we are closed out of the auction) , or do we have to wait until auction is fully ended to see what everything sold for?

thx

petecld
10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
That's a good question and one that caused some cinfusion last time as well.

Because both sessions are considered one single auction the prices realized for session 1 lots will not appear until the session 2 lots have closed.

uniship
10-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Actually - I can see price moves after the initial close on lots i have not bid on.

example - the T206 Cobb/Cobb PSA 1.5 is now up to 71k with the buyers premium - it sat at $57k when the "initial close" happened a bit ago.

so i think non-bidders CAN see price movements now.

calvindog
10-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Couldn't help but notice that the D304 Cobb didn't get a bid at all! Minimum price of 239K (which includes BP). The card sold for 273K in Goodwin just a year ago. Flowery descriptions worth over 40K? Guess so.

An incredible Cobb lithograph depicting his classic batting stance graces the card with a wonderful likeness of the fiery Tiger outfielder. You can almost feel Cobb about to ‘pull the trigger’ on another over matched pitcher as he adds another hit to his incredible 4,000+ lifetime hit total. Providing an incredible backdrop to the classic Cobb stance is the stunning and vibrant gold/brown color scheme, framed by blizzard like snow white borders.

autograf
10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
I feel chilly right now from the blizzard like snow white borders.........

Congratulations to Heritage on a great auction. Some nice prices on sports & nonsports alike...........

Leon
10-02-2009, 07:17 AM
So I see a few things didn't meet reserve, or sell otherwise. The green Harringtons didn't sell for the 40k bid. I am speechless.

Wesley
10-02-2009, 07:50 AM
You needed that card for your type card collection, Leon. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Did bidding for the green Harrington actually reach $10000 before they revealed the reserve?

Leon
10-02-2009, 07:54 AM
You needed that card for your type card collection, Leon. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Did bidding for the green Harrington actually reach $10000 before they revealed the reserve?

Wes- I have some type cards that are just as rare, and probably more desirable (I am biased), and would be clicking my heels with glee at half that price. I do think it hit 10k or 12k before a reserve was known. Regardless, I thought it had a 40k real bid and that was the estimate, so I was thinking it sold...then I saw this morning it didn't? I don't know how that could happen.....house bid maybe?? I might contact Chris and at least get a clarificiation on it...

Wesley
10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
That just seems like so much money for a card like that. How many green Harringtons are out there? I believe Dan McKee and Brian McQueen had some before.

Leon
10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
That just seems like so much money for a card like that. How many green Harringtons are out there? I believe Dan McKee and Brian McQueen had some before.

I know Brian has one and I am not sure about Dan'o......but like I say, I have at least a few dozen anomolies just as rare. I am trying to remember if that player was the chase card and there are only a few known to complete the set? If not, and it's only a different color, it would make the reserve of 40k and bid of 40k, all the more interesting.....

I did look at most other prices they got and most seemed fairly in line with the market......some went high and others not as much. This Heritage auction was their best and congrats to them on a great one.....

chiprop
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Jeff, maybe the 2 guys who bid it up that high in the past were the only 2 at that level. Now that one guy has it there is little desire at that price point. Maybe the recession is hitting home. Maybe goodwin's was the first one sold in a while and now the competion has dried up.

petecld
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
If you are a registered bidder or consignor with us you can log into our archive system and you WILL be able to see the final prices from the lots which ended last night.

Frank A
10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Could someone please tell me what lot 81017, the Lou Gehrig exhibit went for. Thanks, Frank

Jim VB
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Could someone please tell me what lot 81017, the Lou Gehrig exhibit went for. Thanks, Frank

$6,572.50 with the buyers premium included.

Frank A
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks Jim.

Rob D.
10-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Dell laptop: $1,000

Monthly Internet Service Provider fee: $50

Wireless mouse: $15

Getting prices realized from Jim VB on Net54: Priceless

calvindog
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Jeff, maybe the 2 guys who bid it up that high in the past were the only 2 at that level. Now that one guy has it there is little desire at that price point. Maybe the recession is hitting home. Maybe goodwin's was the first one sold in a while and now the competion has dried up.

Dan, if there were two guys who bid it up to 279K, why didn't the underbidder scoop in and save 40K last night? I'm guessing choice d).

I like this auction too: same, identical card

Heritage: D304 Young SGC 6 $17,925
Goodwin: D304 Young SGC 6 $80,053

Damn that recession!

calvindog
10-02-2009, 05:22 PM
These two auctions also indicate what happens when the double whammy of recession and lack of flowery language hit simultaneously:

Goodwin D304 Mathewson SGC 60 $45,123
Heritage D304 Mathewson SGC 70 $8,365

Ummmm......hmmmmm.....

E93
10-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I am pretty sure I know who the bidder and underbidders were in the Goodwin auction on the D304s and both (obviously the winner) are not now active in the hobby from what I hear. Timing is everything. Of course, it could also be an evil conspiracy too.
JimB

edited to add "on the D304s"

uniship
10-02-2009, 05:45 PM
didnt some brand new huge whale enter the hobby in recent years and create some of the abnormal prices on some examples?

thought i heard that somewhere. that might explain some of the crazy price histories -

i could be totally wrong, but i think i remember hearing or reading about this in recent months.

calvindog
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I wish we lived in a world where everyone was honest and there were none of those darn evil conspiracies that are so obvious that they hit you between the eyes like a hammer. A world where money falls from the sky, marshmallows grow on trees and rivers flow with chocolate.

But we don't.

Rob D.
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I wish we lived in a world where everyone was honest and there were none of those darn evil conspiracies that are so obvious that they hit you between the eyes like a hammer. A world where money falls from the sky, marshmallows grow on trees and rivers flow with chocolate.

But we don't.

I hear that's what it's like in Rio de Janeiro. I mean, it's gotta be, right?

chiprop
10-02-2009, 06:50 PM
"I am pretty sure I know who the bidder and underbidders were in the Goodwin auction and both (obviously the winner) are not now active in the hobby from what I hear. Timing is everything. Of course, it could also be an evil conspiracy too.
JimB "

Ok Jeff, now what? We got someone who knows the winners and the under bidders on those Goodwin lots. Looks like those lots were legit.

I think you can find a handful of lots in a major auction that on the surface look contrived. Unless we have the facts, it's important not to determine guilt from the numbers alone, or at least that's what they teach in law school.

calvindog
10-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Dan, you really work overtime trying to protect Goodwin. But to your credit at least you admit that you're a consignor of his.

And Jim B's "pretty sure" facts don't take into account any number of ways in which auctions can be shilled. Since when does a legit winner negate any possibility of fraud in an auction? You're way too smart to suggest that but I understand that Goodwin needs to be protected. Problem is that the circumstantial evidence is hilarious. Find me some other auctions with decreases in prices like the ones I posted. Of course, it took me about 30 seconds to find those. Not very hard when looking at Goodwin's auctions. Maybe try Barry's or H & S or B & L. My guess is you won't find prices decreasing by 80% or 63K after sales in those auctions. Just Goodwin. But of course that's why you consign to Goodwin so you already know that.

Peter_Spaeth
10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Past results are no guarantee of future performance. :D

Peter_Spaeth
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Jeffrey: there is no straw (not the word beginning with "s" I really mean) that cannot be spun into gold, by those that wish to see gold.

chiprop
10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Jeff- I'm also a buyer, so I'm intrested to hear what facts you have. Please don't say that Goodwin gets high prices so something must be wrong. The d304's is a perfect example of what can happen in an auction when big money guys get crazy. Your whole argument seems flawed without any relevant facts. This is also my last post unless you present something other than final prices realized as your argument. This is a crazy hobby where people sometimes get rather stupid when bidding on a card they have to have.

calvindog
10-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Except the crazy prices -- 500% more than some other auctions and oftentimes on common high graded cards -- only seem to occur in Goodwin's auctions. Always in Goodwin's auctions.

Sorry I don't have Goodwin's bidding records to substantiate what my eyes can see. And everyone else's eyes (except the guy who does his website, his flowery descriptions writer and his big consignors). But of course I just had my eyes when I made my thoughts known about Mastro a few years ago.

E93
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Jeff Lichtman wrote:

Problem is that the circumstantial evidence is hilarious.

Reginald Marsh
10-02-2009, 11:21 PM
The green Harrington had a 40,000 reserve price. I'm sure i will recieve a phone call shortly by the gentleman who owns it. He thought it would bring six figures and i was willing to bet any amount that the card would not sell.

rhettyeakley
10-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Marshall, In all fairness to your friend, where would he ever in a million years think that that card had the chance of getting six figures? Lets compare this (allegedly shortprinted) card to another (known) shortprint the Buttercream Babe Ruth, which didn't even sell for six figures the last time it sold--(SGC Auth $55,813).

<b>Things going for Buttercream Ruth...</b>
-It's freaking Babe Ruth
-Known to be a short print
-somewhat popular set (cultish following for funkiness factor)
-fairly cool looking card
-on many collectors' want lists

<b>Things going for Earl Smith card...</b>
-funky green color

<b> Things going against Smith card...</b>
-It's Earl Smith
-Not known to be a short print (could be but may not be)
-Incredibly unpopular set
-Ugly card
-Nobody cares

Something seriously funny going on with this card in the auction--who REALLY bid on the thing? I think someone may be trying to falsify the appearance of there being major interest so they can sell a $150 or so oddity for a mint

-Rhett

bobbvc
10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Did anyone here win the T5 Wagner? $8,900 incl. BP seems like a pretty nice deal.

Jewish-collector
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Can someone please send me a simple spreadsheet of 2 columns - lot # and price realized for this auction. I love Heritage, but I'm having trouble obtaining the prices realized in a simple, concise format.

Thanks.
Alan

petecld
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Alan,

We have that in our Auction Results Archive. Log-in and clink on any lot in the auction. There is a "Printable Version of Prices Realized for this Auction" link directly under the realized price/end date. This opens a list of prices for the entire auction in the format you are talking about.

Peter