PDA

View Full Version : The Official T206 Jack Dunn Poll (All in Good Fun)

White Borders
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll71/craigw67217/Net54%20Posts/DunnVertical.jpghttp://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll71/craigw67217/Net54%20Posts/DunnHorizontal.jpg

Matt
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I've always not understood the point of this discussion. All the cards were printed vertically, were they not? So we're discussing if the artwork used for the card was horizontal or vertical? What if it was at an angle to the way the card got printed?

ChiefBenderForever
09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Horizontal and the prelude to Superman !

White Borders
09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey Matt,

Don't be causing no trouble with stinkin di-ag-o-nals, you dig??? We hav's us 'nough problems with 90 degree perpendiculars!!! :D

Howe’s Hunter
09-29-2009, 09:13 PM
all the horizontal cards have a horizon line. This one doesn't. It's a vertical.

FrankWakefield
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
The horizontal poses are in the 150 series... after that American Litho came to their senses and made the rest of the cards verticals, including Dunn. I think some of the folks that shout that Dunn's card is horizontal know better, they know it isn't. They just persist to stir up Ted, me, and a few others.

daviddbreadman
09-29-2009, 09:48 PM
He is traveling backward looking up at the ball coming down into his glove. I say the key to the photo is the butt, right side of the body. The outline of his uniform indicates his legs are spread so as to get stability for the position he is standing in. His right leg is back. If he were diving for a catch both of his legs would be pulled together and down toward the ground by gravity and momentum and the way a person would dive. There is no way his legs would be spread like that if he were diving for a ball.

To suggest its a horizontal card would be to say that he is diving for a ball with one leg up in the air above his head and the other leg down near the ground, maybe even dragging it. Not probable if you have ever seen anyone dive for a ball or do it yourself.

Steve D
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I still think it's T206's only diagonal pose!

:)
Steve

buymycards
09-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Horizontal, with the printing on the right side.

barrysloate
09-30-2009, 04:44 AM
It was tied 13-13 as I came to bat...and vertical now leads 14-13. A real barn burner!

The funny thing about the card is when you hold it vertically it looks odd, and when you shift it horizontally it still looks odd.

GoldenAge50s
09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
If the pose were horizontal, the position of Jack's head & eyes (looking straight ahead) would indicate the ball should already be near his glove & INCLUDED in the picture on the card! There is plenty of empty background available if that were the case.

Definitely a vertical pose.

alanu
09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Horizontal, assuming Mr. Dunn was a professional ballplayer, if it's vertical his glove would be turned forward to catch a pop fly above his head, unless of course he's catching a ball hit over his head.... okay, I could go either way:confused:

teetwoohsix
09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
vertical,in my opinion...

cfc1909
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I know you know there are 6 horizontal cards in the t206 set and Jack Dunn is NOT one of them. I am more interested in the back and I will bet that sometime in the future this card will be discovered with a Drum reverse...:D

At present there are 3 known Baltimore t206s with a Drum reverse and I own 2 of them and will not give up until I own all 3...:rolleyes:

Chris Counts
09-30-2009, 02:54 PM
In my perfect world, all cards are horizontal. :)

FrankWakefield
09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Jack Dunn was born in 1872. That is before baseball gloves. By the time he's playing ball gloves are around, but are rare, and not used by hard core base ballists. Dunn made it to what we now consider the major leagues with Brooklyn in 1897.

I'm confident that it is a vertical image. I think some of the horizontal-heads see that and are just stirring, and some really don't see it. I can envision a ball player getting in that position for a ball he's going back for that was popped over his head at third or short, I can see a fellow getting into that position going for a fly near the edge of a railing beside the stands. This T210 of Chandler now on eBay OUT OUT OUT, be OUTED card!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350255996360&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ends in a few hours, and I think that its high price is due to the similarity of the Dunn image. AND, I think that ball players who learned to play without a glove, as Dunn would have, were likely to have caught balls like that more often than some 21st century product from the sunshine of California or Florida.

As I out Chandler, he's at $50.99. I think he'll sell for much more than that. I don't know if a vertical-head is going to bid it up, to further the cause of Dunn being a vertical card; or if it will be bid up by a horizontal-head who plans on burning the card so no one will see how similar Dunn is...

White Borders
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
I will bet that sometime in the future this card will be discovered with a Drum reverse...:D

Hiya Jim,

:cool: Kewl that you picked up on what I was alluding to with that poll response ... Jack Dunn is a 350 Series card, which means that a Drum back is certainly possible, but, at least to my knowledge, no Jack Dunn with a Drum reverse has ever been found :(

Best Regards,
Craig

Doug
09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm guessing it's a vertical pose. IMO it looks like he's backing up to catch a fly ball.

Jason Carota
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm guessing it's a vertical pose. IMO it looks like he's backing up to catch a fly ball.

That is my take on it, as well. Pop fly over the mound. Definitely a vertical pose.

FrankWakefield
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
The Chambers, Norfolk T210 with the similar glove and hand position just closed for $96.83 plus $2 for shipping... I'd have copied that image and pasted it here, but don't seem to be able to do that. If you see that card, then you'll be able to envision what Jack Dunn is doing on his vertical card.

marcdelpercio
09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
For the record, I think it's vertical but...I wouldn't bet my collection on it :)

Jason Carota
09-30-2009, 08:29 PM
The Chambers, Norfolk T210 with the similar glove and hand position just closed for $96.83 plus $2 for shipping... I'd have copied that image and pasted it here, but don't seem to be able to do that. If you see that card, then you'll be able to envision what Jack Dunn is doing on his vertical card.

Excellent example. Here you go, Frank:

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!BbFWzbgBGk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEquRtMS7SBKuTwMgIdw~~_12.JPG

FrankWakefield
09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you, Jason!!!

Harry Bay's T210 and T206 look similar, although his T206 has a horizon line painted in the background. The T210 has no horizon line. Bay's and Chandler's heads aren't turned up as much.

'tis vertical. I'd vote again if I knew how.

cfc1909
10-02-2009, 03:21 PM
here are both Bays

Peter_Spaeth
10-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Grab your glove, pretend you are playing third and here comes a towering infield fly. Look skyward, and put up your hands. I guarantee you your glove is turned the other way. The only way I can make this vertical if he is doing the Willie Mays thing with his back to the plate.

FrankWakefield
10-02-2009, 10:57 PM
It is turned the other way, Peter, 'cause you learned to play in the 20th century when gloves were used.

Stand at third one more time, throw down your glove, and come in on a bunted fly ball that you're about to catch barehanded, 'cause that's how you've learned to catch. Just like you'd catch a bag of Cracker Jack if someone tossed it to you today as you sat in the stands. You wouldn't catch a bag of Cracker Jack today the way you'd turn your glove today...

And I agree that it could be a back to the plate thing, or a reaching over the edge of the railing thing...

Vertical.