PDA

View Full Version : Great new baseball memorabilia book...

base_ball
09-29-2009, 09:49 AM
No vested interest here, but I happened upon a new book last night--Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress—which I heartily recommend. It’s a coffee-table volume filled with fabulous, luscious depictions of baseball memorabilia: baseball cards, cabinet cards, documents, woodcuts, photos, programs, advertisements, and more. While the game is covered up until modern times, readers of these pages will be pleased to know that the book’s strongest suit is 19th and early-20th Century pieces, many of which I have never seen before. On initial perusal, I had some reservations about the design and organization, but I only spent about 20 minutes with the book and my mouth was watering, so that may change. I will say that Baseball Americana immediately enters the pantheon of great baseball “stuff” books, along with Smithsonian Baseball and the Barry Halper auction catalogs.

benjulmag
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for bringing it to our attention! I'm looking forward to getting it.

slantycouch
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Sweet! Look forward to checking that out.

GrayGhost
10-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I paged thru this book at Borders today. AMAZING book and images, and nice write up too, heavy on early game items/history.

jcmtiger
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Less than $20.00 on Amazon.com

Joe

bcbgcbrcb
10-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Based on the recommendations here, I picked up a copy on Amazon.com and received it in the mail this past Thursday. Very happy I did!

wolterse
10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Ordered on Amazon for about $20 and got it the next day. Thanks for the recommendation!

GrayGhost
10-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I don't know what shipping was, but Borders is 29.99, plus tax, figure.

benjulmag
10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Just got my copy. Amazing book. Sensational images, including some I've never seen before. Highly recommended!!

timzcardz
10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
No vested interest here, but I happened upon a new book last night--Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress—which I heartily recommend. It’s a coffee-table volume filled with fabulous, luscious depictions of baseball memorabilia: baseball cards, cabinet cards, documents, woodcuts, photos, programs, advertisements, and more. While the game is covered up until modern times, readers of these pages will be pleased to know that the book’s strongest suit is 19th and early-20th Century pieces, many of which I have never seen before. On initial perusal, I had some reservations about the design and organization, but I only spent about 20 minutes with the book and my mouth was watering, so that may change. I will say that Baseball Americana immediately enters the pantheon of great baseball “stuff” books, along with Smithsonian Baseball and the Barry Halper auction catalogs.

Less than $20.00 on Amazon.com

Joe

Thanks!

I printed out the page from amazon and left it in the printer for my wife. She always complains that she never knows what to have the kids get me for Christmas because I always buy stuff myself that I want.

Anthony S.
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Allow me to add my voice to the chorus of cheers. Mine arrived today. Fantastic stuff, and surprising inexpensive. Between this and the Old Judge book this has been a great year for photograph laden baseball histories.

timzcardz
10-11-2009, 05:15 AM
I was in Costco yesterday and they have it for $16.29.

roarfrom34
10-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Great book that deserves to be in every collector's library...I had a 40% off coupon for Borders and paid only $18

ibuysportsephemera
10-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Costco...off to get me one.

Jeff