PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco collector's........piedmont advertising piece

Comiskey
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I watched this piece on ebay and even made a decent bid before it ended. But, I didn't know if it was authentic and decided to not go higher and eventually lost out at $449.My question to you guys (the "professionals") is whether you guys believe that it was real. I am not doubting the seller, I just don't have enough experience to know whether it was real.

So what do you guys think? Is it a period piece? Here are the pics and a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320426557712&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT#ht_1282wt_909

Jay Wolt
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I believe that piece is a side panel of a 3 panel spread for Piedmont

baseballart
09-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree with Jay. My snipe didn't quite sneak through (okay, by a fair bit)

Comiskey
09-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Jay

Have you seen the rest of the panels? Did it sell previously? I would love to see pictures of the complete advertising piece!

Jeff

Jay Wolt
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Jeff, just did some searching on the net and I found it.
Its pictured in the Smithsonian book, which I have so that's where I remembered it from.

Here's a link, its on page 49
perhaps someone can take the image and post it here

http://books.google.com/books?id=_ZZxXG89PAIC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=piedmont+cig*+advertising&source=bl&ots=A5L8p4MHVS&sig=CYlKocwgyk0uko_P8SttVlCpJBU&hl=en&ei=yZXBSvCzINHTlAfQ_Y3xBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=&f=false

cincicards
09-28-2009, 11:53 PM

jbsports33
09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
I noticed this piece as well, and thought it seemed like an odd size, most advertising tobacco signs are larger when they have that much detail. I think the frame made it look different as well

Jimmy

Leon
09-29-2009, 07:33 AM
I saw the one on ebay but my snipe was a bit less than $200.... now, if that full display piece was on there, then we would have a game. That is awesome....

vintagesportflips
09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe I am wrong here, but does anyone else agree that the single panel piece on ebay seems to have a lot more detail in the fans facial features, than the larger panel does? Could the ebay panel perhaps be a piece of original artwork for the 3 paneled piece? Or maybe it is just the photo of the three paneled piece is lower resolution, and you just can't see the details.

Jay Wolt
09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Maybe I am wrong here, but does anyone else agree that the single panel piece on ebay seems to have a lot more detail in the fans facial features, than the larger panel does? Could the ebay panel perhaps be a piece of original artwork for the 3 paneled piece? Or maybe it is just the photo of the three paneled piece is lower resolution, and you just can't see the details.

I think its possibly the illusion of a clear shot since its cropped w/ the frame.
Plus the smaller panel cropped by the frame is way larger & more clear then
the scan of the entire piece which was scanned from the Smithsonian book page.

Hal Kaplan
09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
No illusion ... the ebay panel is from a different piece ... the gentleman seated to the right of the lady fan with the red hat near the lower right corner is different and wearing a different hat.

Al C.risafulli
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I hope someone here got it - I set what I thought was a pretty decent snipe and didn't come close.

I thought it was a beautiful piece.

-Al

10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
No illusion ... the ebay panel is from a different piece ... the gentleman seated to the right of the lady fan with the red hat near the lower right corner is different and wearing a different hat.

I agree. Also, the image is stretched wider in the crop than the original.