PDA

View Full Version : Grade of Authentic

tonyo
09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
What does it mean when a card receives a grade of "Authentic" ?
This card http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-CARDINALS-AMERICAN-BEAUTY-MILLER-HUGGINS-SGC_W0QQitemZ290352013103QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Bas eball?hash=item439a541f2f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 appears to be as good as some "low number" graded cards I have seen.

Does PSA have a similar authentic grade?

Thanks in advance!

bbcemporium
09-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Tonyo,

This card received an "Authentic" grade, because it appears to have been trimmed. PSA has an equal grade.

Jay Wolt
09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes PSA has that grade as well.
Authentic means the card is genuine but altered. Usually trimmed or recolored.
PSA & SGC will not slab a card that has been rebacked or skinned.

tonyo
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks to both Jay and bbcemporium for the replies.

What does rebacked and skinned mean?

FrankWakefield
09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you have an Old Judge card? These cards are sometimes rebacked.

Realistically, they consist of a photograph affixed to a piece of cardboard, the 'card' is a sandwich of the two. When cards like this separate, from various causes, two pieces are left. Sometimes this separating is intentional, because of damage to the back. When that surface photograph or surface paper is attached to a 'new' back, then the card is deemed 'rebacked'.

And to be accurate, PSA and SGC will not knowingly grade a rebacked card. To say they never have and never will is a bit of a stretch.

tonyo
09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Got it, thanks.

No Old Judges. New to pre-war. So far, only 1933 goudey and T205's have been added to my collection.

This board has been helpful and friendly.

Tony

barrysloate
09-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Tony- there are occasions when a card that was submitted is perfectly fine, but for some reason the grading company feels uncomfortable giving it a numerical grade. It may be a hairline smaller than normal, or have a funny looking cut. As such, the card may still receive an "Authentic" grade. In those cases the graders may choose to err on the side of caution.

tonyo
09-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I've never submitted a card for grading. I assume that when a card is returned to the owner, an explanation accompanies that explains the grade assigned. true?

Leon
09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Tony- there are occasions when a card that was submitted is perfectly fine, but for some reason the grading company feels uncomfortable giving it a numerical grade. It may be a hairline smaller than normal, or have a funny looking cut. As such, the card may still receive an "Authentic" grade. In those cases the graders may choose to err on the side of caution.

Barry is correct, of course. There are times the third party graders just don't feel comfortable with some aspect OR they don't know enough about the set. IN those cases they might give an AUT grade and there isn't any issue with the card. I had this happen to an 1875 CDV of Candy Cummings. I gave it to SGC to grade at a National several years ago. It came back AUT as the graders didn't know enough about it. I was a bit unhappy since there wasn't anything wrong with the card. After some discussions and research the card got reviewed and came back as an SGC80.....it was a beautiful card and didn't have any problems. As I told them at the time...if there IS A PROBLEM, then I had no issue with an AUT grade. If there wasn't a problem then it should get a numerical grade. They agreed....regards

insidethewrapper
09-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I didn't know the graders knew who submitted the cards to them. I thought they graded without knowledge of the owner.

Leon
09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I didn't know the graders knew who submitted the cards to them. I thought they graded without knowledge of the owner.

I would imagine sometimes it's difficult, when accepting the grading submission in person, to be completely anonymous. However, this was my arguing AFTER the fact, and not before it. I doubt the graders knew who I was on the front end of the submission, but it was at least 3 yrs ago so I wouldn't swear to anything. I don't remember them knowing who I was on the front end, is all I can say for sure :) .

I can add one more thing. The grading was done at a hotel across the street that year.

barrysloate
09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Leon- you probably were anonymous on the front end, but once you walked it back and complained about the grade...how could they not know it was you?

bcbgcbrcb
09-27-2009, 03:04 PM
We know that PSA has encapsulated at least one re-backed card, the Just So Tobacco - Jesse Burkett..........

E93
09-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I don't think the Just So Burkett was rebacked. Weren't sides from a Just So actress card professionally attached because the sides were trimmed off? The same thing was done with a T206 Wagner that was auctioned at the National this year.
JimB

Leon
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Leon- you probably were anonymous on the front end, but once you walked it back and complained about the grade...how could they not know it was you?

Of course Barry, that was my point. I was anonymous until after the fact. Just like at any grading company someone can request to talk to a grader. This all being said, concerning anonymity of submissions, I personally don't care if they know who the submitter is. The grade should be for the card and nothing else. (at least that is, in a perfect world)....regards

danmckee
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Aren't the American Beauty's originally thinner to fit in their packs? Are we sure this card is trimmed? I know the T206 AB's are thinner but haven't looked at my T205 set in years. Dan.

mintacular
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
out in the marketplace are actually high-quality counterfeits/reprints from Japanese printers? Thanks.

09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
One of my T206's is like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230366516530: it's short and so it will move up and down in the holder. Is it possible for a T206 to be that short and still not be trimmed?