PDA

View Full Version : Fritz Pollard autograph

prewarsports
09-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi

I know this is a Football question but I will ask it here anyways.

I know that there was a Fritz Pollard autograph in a catalog auction somewhere in the last year and I cant for the life of me figure out how much it went for or what auction it was in. Does anyone know what auction it was in and the realized price?

Thanks in advance

Rhys Yeakley

themodo@hotmail.com

vintagesportflips
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello Rhys,

I recall seeing it as well, but can't remember where either; if I do, I'll email you.

By chance did you pickup that group of Pollard ephemera? It was a really neat group, and I had my manual snipe set to go, but got blown out of the water. I really liked the Christmas card, and was curious what else was in the lot.

danc
09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
The last Fritz Pollard autograph I saw, was sold in a Hunt Auctions Internet auction, roughly 6 months ago. It was a three by five card and it sold for I think a touch more than $400.

DanC

prewarsports
09-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont remember that one because the one I am thinking of was in a catalog auction. If it really sold for $400 than someone got the deal of the decade for Football Hall of Fame autographs. I have never seen one for sale privately at less than $2000+. I have never seen a realized price though because in the 4 years since he made the Hall of Fame I have seen exactly one example in an auction and now I cant remember where that one was.

My mind must be playing tricks on me but I appreciate the responses.

danc
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Rhys,

I have seen a couple (maybe three) Pollard signed items since his induction and they have sold in three by five form for around $400-500.

$2000 is an incredible amount if someone in fact got that. He did pass away in 1986 and did in fact sign through the mail. The SMR has him priced out in 3x5 form at $350.

Enclosed is the one that sold in the Hunt Auction (it is a catalog) for I believe $415.

Hope this helps.

DanC

prewarsports
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I appreciate the response. I saw one before he made the NFL Hall of Fame and it was $1000 in about 2003. I have been looking VERY hard for just one since 2005. If you add up all the ones I have seen in dealer sites, auctions, ebay and every National since 2005 up until the ebay lot, I have seen exactly one. I heard a major dealer tell me he sold one for $2000 right after the induction and I know one guy who has one and he told me paid over $1000 and would not sell it back for twice that. The SMR means nothing and in my opinion $400 is a steal. It is a later in life signature and actually looks very little like his vintage signature which might account for the low price. I think it just slipped through the cracks which sometimes happens with Hunts.

I do appreciate the response and the scan!

Thanks

Rhys