PDA

View Full Version : Check out THESE beauties

sportscardtheory
09-25-2009, 07:15 AM
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/1952toppsmantle5and6f.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/52toppsmantlr5and6backs.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/1952toppsmantlepsa6f4.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/1952toppsmickeymantlepsa5f.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/img102.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n348/braddavery/Random/img103.jpg

bh3443
09-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for posting those awesome cards!
I enjoy seeing the great cards that my net 54 pals have displayed here.
Regards,
Bill Hedin
Mass

Jim VB
09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
This probably belongs on the Post War board, not here.

Leon
09-25-2009, 07:58 AM
This probably belongs on the Post War board, not here.

Hey Jim
I agree this should have gone over on the post war side but as long as we have the lengthy discussion going on, in another thread on this side, I just let it go as an OT......

For the most part post war should be on the post war side....so you are absolutely correct. regards

terjung
09-25-2009, 08:01 AM
100% certain those Mantles are not from the original '52 Topps product.

slantycouch
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
The PSA font on that Koufax looks wrong.

sportscardtheory
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Some eBay seller is trying to sell me these "off eBay". Is there any way I can get the law involved? I have their e-mail address and eBay id.

GrayGhost
09-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Darn, all I see are "red x's" in the place where the pictures should be.

Doug
09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
The Mantles both have some kind of weird toning to them and the Koufax has a washed out look to it. Not to mention the font on the labels is off.

Leon
09-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Some eBay seller is trying to sell me these "off eBay". Is there any way I can get the law involved? I have their e-mail address and eBay id.

The way to do it would be to make a deal.....show up in person to exchange money for cards, and have the local police right behind you. It is up to your local law enforcement, or the one where the person with the cards is, to make the decision to pursue or not. I wish they would more often but I have a feeling sportscard fraud is not a top priority most places...although it is for us. If you really want to pursue it a call to one of those agencies is where to start. Good luck. regards

slantycouch
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Even with law enforcement present, I don't see you having much luck. Isn't it still a he said/she said kind of thing? The officer is going to have no idea whether they're real or not, and the seller can always stand behind "I thought they were real - they're graded by PSA" as an excuse.

scooter729
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
PSA has used several different fonts over time, but those fonts are certainly NOT one they have ever used...

Doug
09-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Even with law enforcement present, I don't see you having much luck. Isn't it still a he said/she said kind of thing? The officer is going to have no idea whether they're real or not, and the seller can always stand behind "I thought they were real - they're graded by PSA" as an excuse.

That's a good point. An officer most likely isn't going to be able to recognize a fake card, a fake PSA label or even know what a PSA is. It's kind of tough to prove unless you somehow got someone from PSA to go along and say that they weren't real cards or legit PSA holders and I doubt that's too likely to happen.

tbob
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Can someone with PSA access check the online site and see if the cert no 90096826 matches up with a 55 Koufax? The coloration looks all wrong to me but it might just be the scan.

cozmokramer
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
The font is off on those... FAKE psa labels

Doug
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Can someone with PSA access check the online site and see if the cert no 90096826 matches up with a 55 Koufax? The coloration looks all wrong to me but it might just be the scan.

The cert numbers match, but they are fake cards with altered labels.

Matt
09-25-2009, 03:03 PM

I thought PSA cert check is open for all to use?

Rickyy
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
As others have stated...the labels definitely look funky...the spacing between the letters looks wrong and as for the condition..the back of the card has a washed out quality to them despite the grade....I have a legit PSA 1 and though the card is creased worn...the card has defined colors...

Ricky Y

Steve D
09-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Fake cards and fake flips. Look at the font and the line spacing on the flips. The middle line is exactly halfway between the first and third lines. A real PSA flip has four lines of type. Also, the backgrounds on the Mantles are the wrong shade of blue. These are obvious fakes.

Edited to add that there is another absolutely obvious dead-giveaway about the completely fake nature of the two Mantles. I'll just say that anyone familiar with the two '52 Topps Mantle variations will see it right away.

Steve

Doug
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Fake cards and fake flips. Look at the font and the line spacing on the flips. The middle line is exactly halfway between the first and third lines. A real PSA flip has four lines of type. Also, the backgrounds on the Mantles are the wrong shade of blue. These are obvious fakes.

Edited to add that there is another absolutely obvious dead-giveaway about the completely fake nature of the two Mantles. I'll just say that anyone familiar with the two '52 Topps Mantle variations will see it right away.

Steve

The stitching on the baseball on the reverse should be facing to the left on the variation with the complete box around the Yankees logo. :)

calvindog
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Those cards are all fake. The font on the flips aren't even close.

Jantz
09-25-2009, 09:44 PM
If anyone remembers, earlier this month Iggyman started a thread about a 52 Topps Mantle reprint on Ebay and I posted later that day about seeing a fake cake, PSA holder and flip at a show in Columbus, OH. If you recall, I mentioned that the dealer bought the fake slabbed card off of Ebay. The cards shown here in this thread look exacly like the one I saw that day at the show. I'm glad you posted the pictures so that everyone can now see what I was talking about.

Thanks

Jantz

teetwoohsix
09-27-2009, 08:36 PM
This thread has been working my brain...I guess I don't understand how this person produces a fake PSA holder.I can see how he may produce the label,but I'm baffled at the holder.I was under the assumption if you pried open one of these holders it would snap the plastic.Another reason I got concerned is I have a T-206 ,PSA graded,and the label has a "bubbled" look...anyone ever seen that?

ChiefBenderForever
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Faker than Pan Andersons breasts. As for the holders bubble look some do that look for frosty edges they are easily popped and glued but you can tell by the frosty wdges

teetwoohsix
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Gotcha-thanks Johnny

drdduet
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
The fake Koufax is over graded.