PDA

View Full Version : great_lakes_auction_house

whycough
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
This eBay guy features very nice raw cards and has a 100% feedback rating. Anyone ever try to grade one of his cards?

deadballera
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I have bought cards from them before, but never sent them in to be graded.

mightyq
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
yes- i bought a t -206 r marquard. auction said ex/mt+++ scan looked good, seller said no creases what you see is what you get, sent in to psa came back a psa 5 ex. for what its worth.

Rich Klein
09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I think the board members here would like to hear their views on Great Lakes.

Rich

mintacular
09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
One must ask themselves: Why are their scans so small? What is there to hide? I don't trust them JMO

wolterse
09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I've bought several post and pre war cards from great lakes and sent all of them in for grading. Not one has ever been returned as trimmed or alterned. Although beware that they often embellish their descriptions by at least a grade. I wouldn't recommend flipping (if that happens to be your goal).

Peter_Spaeth
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
One wonders why they would leave so much money on the table if the cards really would grade as they describe them and as they appear to be in the scans.

At the same time, their feedback is extensive and seemingly flawless, so if they were selling bad cards, that almost surely would have come up.

So my best guess is that the cards are good and probably, at least relative to PSA/SGC grading, would grade a little lower than the descriptions. As someone points out, at that size scans don't necessarily show minor corner touches.

mintacular
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I think one must remember that folks on this board (and others) probably represent 10% or less of actual buyers of cards on eBay, and this max 10% are the most discerning/informed consumers... Therefore positive feedback is not necessarily a guarantee that the card meets actual high grade standards or would receive a PSA 8+.

Considering all of the exaggerators on eBay, a seller like great lakes is a breath of fresh air as they are better than most others and their feedback reflects that.
In short, while they may be an "8/10" by eBay standards, they are not a "9 or better" and the prices paid will likely not be made back if one is hoping to hit the jackpot by submitting them to PSA, etc. JMO

Bridwell
09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I had a bad experience with this guy. Bought a graded T206 but never received it. By the time I filed a claim with paypal it was past their deadline. The seller refused to do anything. This is the only time I have lost out on an ebay transaction, so I just chaulk it up to experience. But since you asked...

sagard
09-25-2009, 06:46 PM
They have been discussed many times on the PSA boards. It has been speculated they buy lower graded cards (fives/sixes), crack them out and sell them raw as nrmt. They typically guarantee the card is unaltered, but most will not make a seven holder.

Zach Wheat
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I have bought from them a number of times and never had an issue. The card was in the shape and condition anticipated by the scans.

slantycouch
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I had a bad experience with this guy. Bought a graded T206 but never received it. By the time I filed a claim with paypal it was past their deadline. The seller refused to do anything. This is the only time I have lost out on an ebay transaction, so I just chaulk it up to experience. But since you asked...

Did it come with insurance/delivery confirmation?

PPs deadline is 60 days past the payment date, right? I have to be honest... if I heard nothing from a buyer for that amount of time and then received a complaint, I might not do anything either.

I send everything insured with confirmation though, so at least I "know" if the card reached or did not.

marvjung
09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I haven't had a bad transaction with him - went fairly pleasant overall. I picked up a Bresnahan from him not too long ago; SGC has it now :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190324211299