PDA

View Full Version : Wet sheet transfer?

teetwoohsix
09-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I recently saw a T-206 being sold on Ebay where the seller described the card as being a "wet sheet transfer",and had a ghost image of another back on the front of the card.I realized that I owned a card that has a ghost image of an EPDG back on the front of it.Does anyone know if thats what this is?I will include a photo of my card as an attachment-thanks for your help!

danmckee
09-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Looks like the rare flower background version to me.

teetwoohsix
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
The sad thing is I sat there and took photo's of every one of my cards with this stupid(I mean rare) flower background.......

JamesGallo
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes that looks like a wet sheet transfer, although some people feel this could have happened after printing as opposed to during the printing process. They get a lot of attention as they are something different. You have a decent one with a more popular player, a slightly better back and in nice shape. Cool card.

James G

Jantz
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
nevermind

teetwoohsix
09-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks James,I appreciate you taking the time to respond.I really didn't know if this image came from another card with an EPDG back being on top of it,in a damp climate or something-or from this wet sheet transfer.I will research what a wet sheet transfer is-never heard of it until I noticed the guy's listing on Ebay.I am new to this site,and I was getting a little discouraged that no one was responding to my thread-especially because I know that a majority of the members have a vast knowledge of vintage cards...thanks again!!

JamesGallo
09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
A wet sheet transfer is just that. When the stuff is printed the sheets would have been set aside to dry, if they were pilled on before they dried you could get a wet sheet transder ie, the ink wasn't dry on the back of the top sheet and transfered to the front of the other sheet.

You generally don't see a mix of backs though, ie generally you would see a EPDG back with a EPDG transfer on the front.

I have talked with SGC about this and they will not mark them any differently much like they won't mark Ghost images either.

James G

FrankWakefield
09-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Clayton, it seems extremely unlikely to me that a freshly printed sheet with wet EPDG backed cards would be stacked atop a sheet of Sovereign cards, such as that Chase card. Especially if the transferred image aligns very well with the card.

What seems much more likely is that some cards were stacked and got damp, resulting in a transfer of the image of the back of one EPDG card onto the front of that Chase Sovereign card.

When folks think of wet sheet transfer they usually mean something that happened during printing, and they want their card to be worth more. When the images line up, it seems to me that whatever happened was something that occurred outside the factory, after the cards were cut and distributed. And with differing brands, even more likely to be outside the factory.

Jantz
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
PM sent

Jantz

teetwoohsix
09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Thank you all for responding.When I bought this card,I could not see the EPDG image on the scan,and when it arrived,I was actually a little bummed about it.In either case,I never thought this type of thing could make the card worth more.I still like the card,,and I have learned a lot from you all about this.Thank you,Regards-Clayton