PDA

View Full Version : Photo Help Needed

smtjoy
09-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi all, need a little help with a recent photo purchase. I just want to make sure the photo is vintage and not a new repo. I have a couple other bruke/brace photos and they are all very sharp and this is the first I have seen that is not, should I be concerned? The back is clean white same as front border. Any info on it would help. Thanks in advance!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/smtjoy/Misc%20Card%20stuff/Bracephoto-WanersbrosKlein.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/smtjoy/Misc%20Card%20stuff/Bracephoto-WanersbrosKleincloseup.jpg

D. Bergin
09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I believe those artifacts at the top corners are thumbtacks used to hold the original photo on a board for the camera to take a picture of it so it can be reproduced.

Basically a picture of a picture.

Doesn't mean it's not vintage, just that it's not from the original negative.

A pretty common practice back in the day when the negative was not available.

I believe according the the recent PSA definitions this is a version of a Type III photograph. Though it could very easily be a Type IV based on their narrow definitions of age.

Without having it in hand I might also say it's a later generation 1920's photo developed from an earlier image.

nolemmings
09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
looks like a photo of a photo all right--even appears to have black space top and bottom between image and border.

The original would have been taken in 1932. Klein, Waner, Waner and probably Don Hurst.

D. Bergin
09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
looks like a photo of a photo all right--even appears to have black space top and bottom between image and border.

The original would have been taken in 1932. Klein, Waner, Waner and probably Don Hurst.

I need to brush up on my baseball. :D

1932 it is.

Probably not a new repro.........just an old one.

drc
09-23-2009, 01:18 PM
It's a second generation image, but if it says Burke & Brace on back it's probably old. Burke died in 1951 and I don't think his name would appear on anything after that.