PDA

View Full Version : What Game-Used stuff is most valuable/ sought-after?

yanksfan09
09-18-2009, 05:02 AM
I was wondering how you would rank different game used items on desirability and value?

In no particular order here: Jersey (top), Pants, Helmet, Bat, Fielding Glove, Batting Glove, Cleats, Hat, Catcher's Mask, Chest Protector, Shin Guards, Equipment Bag?

Leon
09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Nice question and I hope a few folks take the time to give an opinion. As I am not a memorabilia collector, per se, I would think a bat would be #1....but not too sure about the rest. If I had to guess I would say a glove then a hat would come next......

I also hear that major league uniforms from the 19th century, of known players, are quite rare and valuable.

MVSNYC
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
i'll take a stab at this...obviously there are so many factors that can impact value & desirability (what year, what game, how much use, etc)...

Jersey
Bat
Fielding Glove
Pants
Hat
Cleats
Catcher's Mask
Chest Protector
Helmet
Batting Glove
Shin Guards
Equipment Bag

perezfan
09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
The values can differ, depending on the player. For example, a pair of Rickey Henderson Cleats might be more sought after than for a typical player, as he is the stolen base king.

A Bill Mazeroski or Luis Aparicio Glove would be more coveted than another piece of equipment, because of their fielding prowess. This listing would differ by "era" as well. That said, here is how I would rank them in generic fashion...

Fielder's Glove
Jersey
Bat
Helmet
Face Mask
Hat
Pants
Cleats
Shin Guards
Equipment Bag
Batting Gloves

I listed fielder's gloves first, as they are issued in far fewer numbers than other equipment like Jerseys, Cleats, Hats and especially Batting Gloves. In the "old days" a player would use a single glove for multiple seasons. Just my 2 cents...

BrockJacob
09-18-2009, 08:50 AM
A game used fielders glove with rock-solid provenance would rate #1 in my opinion. Its definitely the most personal item. Its something they would of likely used for several seasons and personally cared for.

ibuysportsephemera
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't do much in the way of Game Used stuff but for me, I would rank Jersey's first and bats second. I think that it really is a personal preference.

Jeff

yanksfan09
09-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks to all of the responses and opinions so far, keep em coming....

baseball tourist
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
The values can differ, depending on the player. For example, a pair of Rickey Henderson Cleats might be more sought after than for a typical player, as he is the stolen base king.

A Bill Mazeroski or Luis Aparicio Glove would be more coveted than another piece of equipment, because of their fielding prowess. This listing would differ by "era" as well. That said, here is how I would rank them in generic fashion...

Fielder's Glove
Jersey
Bat
Helmet
Face Mask
Hat
Pants
Cleats
Shin Guards
Equipment Bag
Batting Gloves

I listed fielder's gloves first, as they are issued in far fewer numbers than other equipment like Jerseys, Cleats, Hats and especially Batting Gloves. In the "old days" a player would use a single glove for multiple seasons. Just my 2 cents...

I agree w/ Perezfan..and would rank my list along with his, except that I have no real personal interest in cleats (maybe Lou Brock's or Henderson's etc), nor shin guards (except some vintage reeded ones). A fielder's glove from a favourite player would be a great find. I mostly collect jerseys and bats as they can be found readily and are reletively affordable (some some of the players/teams I collect) and display well, with maximum eye appeal.

chris

thekingofclout
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
There's something about slipping a players glove on your hand or gripping & ripping with your favorite player's game used bat that is simply magical.

I had a beautiful Clemente game used bat with tons of wear but had to sell it a few years ago due to a divorce. I learned...now it's me, the dog, and my roommates Babe, Lou, Joe, and Mick.

I'm also fond of Hats and I have a few pro models (one Yanks c. early 1960's MEARS LOA) but was most likely worn by a bat-boy, batting practice coach, or a bullpen catcher, but it does display wonderful.

In a SCP auction in the last year or two, I was the under-bidder on a pair of Ted Williams stirrups with his name sewn in. I ran into a very determined bidder on that one:(

I do own a circa 1970-71 Manager Ted Williams used BAT before games as skipper of the Senators, un-cracked and shows tremendous use. Exact model ordered by Williams during the time period. PSA/DNA Authentic graded GU-9.

It's quite a thrill to hold it, close my eyes, and start dreaming how Teddy Ballgame would lecture his players on the science of hitting, then step into the box and show them how to do it. I can almost feel the crack of the bat as I swing and yet another wonderful ball mark was ingrained onto my bat.

Sorry, I got carried away a little. Best to all, Jimmy

drc
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Gloves are less popular than jerseys and bats, but are a lot more rare. You don't find gloves for many players, so it's tough rate a glove versus a bat for a player. Jerseys and bats are by far the most popular, but they are also relatively plentiful. Can find only a few Mickey Mantle gloves, but a lot of bats. Also, the most expensive items recorded will be like a Ruth or Cobb jersey, whereas with a lesser player like Don Money it could be a glove. So in some cases the glove will be most expensive, in others a bat or jersey.

Considering player to player and other variations, the below is my value list.

Entire uniform (jersey, pants, cleats, socks, etc-- doesn't require fielding glove or bat).
Jersey
Fielder's Glove
Bat
Cleats
Helmet
Face Mask
Hat
Pants
Shin Guards
Equipment Bag
Game used ball
Batting Gloves

base_ball
09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
In terms of value, I'd say a glove. It's a tool used by a player for, in some cases, years. Next would be a bat, then a jersey and cap, I suppose.

For me, however, the best kind of collectible is one that you can actually use in your everyday life, like a watch. So nothing beats a game-used jacket. I wear a couple of 1950s "game" (or so I've been sold) jackets as part of my Fall/Spring outerwear on occasion.

drc
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree with you. There's something good about a piece of memorabilia you use, even if it's just an antique baseball pencil box you store your pencils in on your desk or a stadium chair you use as, well, a chair.

danc
09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I will go with the following:

1) Jersey
2) Bat
3) Fielder's Glove
4) Helmet
5) Hat
6) Cleats
7) Face Mask
8) Batting Gloves
9) Pants
10) Equipment Bag
11) Shin Guards

I think it's all a matter of a preference, but jerseys and bats appear to be "the king" and gloves are usually a personal item kept throughout a career and rarely offered, but with the right names, fetch $$$. I have some jerseys and bats --no gloves.

DanC

perezfan
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
A couple of comments...

A main reason that Hats don't rank higher is the lack of tagging/markings that collectors like to see. Often, there's a "leap of faith" required, when the only marking is a uniform number hand-written on the under-side of the bill. The much older caps (1930s and prior) had names embroidered into the sweatbands... and those always go for BIG bucks!

You left Jackets off the list. They often lack specific tagging as well, but can serve as gorgeous display items. Mastro had an Earl Averill Indians Jacket a few years ago, that may have been the most beautiful game-used garment I've ever seen. I will try to post a few of my favorites shortly, as I currently have no camera access...

baseballart
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
For some reason, "gloves" pop to the top of my mind

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/132877399_47caeaf6ea.jpg

although it isn't baseball, I have to agree with Mark on jackets...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/90038692_8ed0fe55dd.jpg

perezfan
09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
That is simply gorgeous, Max.... nothing in sports today approaches that level of elegance!

Here are a couple of my sickest jackets (just to further convey the point...)

The Boston Braves Jacket was worn by Warren Spahn in the late 1940s (from Halper)

The Redlegs Jacket was worn by Sam Mele in the mid 1950s. Seeing it again confirms that I want to go the grave with this one (and be buried in it!)

ksfarmboy
09-19-2009, 12:50 AM
My picks are as follows:

Jerseys
Bats
Gloves
Helmets
Hats
Cleats

The rest of the stuff I wouldn't give a second look at. I think that a Brooks Robinson glove or Ozzie Smith would definitely be much higher than their jerseys or bats. Similar gloves by players known for their defense would usually be higher.

Tedw9
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I dabble a little in the game used market (modern), I enjoy owning something that once belonged to a player.

I would say that the glove would be the most valuable and wanted item from a player. As others have said, gloves are personal and players often use them for years and are very protective of them.

Then I would place these in order of jerseys, bats, batting helmets, batting gloves, cleats, jackets and finally hats.

In my opinion the value of each would depend on the era and who used each item. I'd rather own a Ted Williams bat than a jersey or glove. But for the record, I would be proud to own any of them! :D Ted's bat to me is more personal and related to him. Where as an Ozzie Smith glove may be worth the most because he is really known for his fielding. But then you got someone like the Babe where as ANYTHING of his is super valuable.

I guess there is no right or wrong answers, just difference of opinions and what each collector values the most.

yanksfan09
09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks to all responses and opinions;

Leon: Thanks for encouraging posts.

Jimmy: Thanks, that's a Great Williams bat!

Joseph: agree on Jacket being a great item, I had forgot to include that originally. I especially love the real old sweater type jackets from back in the Day. I have a Ray Caldwell 1916 D381 card that pictures him in one of those old Yankee jackets. It's one of my favorite cards. If only I owned the jacket!...

Max and Perez -Fan: Great Jackets!

Ted: Great points on a bat being more soughtafter for a guy like Williams; Where you'd want a glove for a guy like Ozzie. I had thought of that too and couldn't agree more. I'm just trying to get a real general list. Yet, there's certainly great differences between players.

I agree with most, as many seemed to rank fielding gloves high. It's certainly a nice piece to own if you can find one. I still have my little league glove (auto version of Nolan Ryan, from 1992/93?) I still love it. I know how personal gloves become. I also have my Grandfathers glove from the 1930's somewhere (My grandfather never played pro ball though). The lacing is all cracked and dry-rotted but it's still an awsome piece.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Please post more opinions if anyone else wants to share them.

thekingofclout
09-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Nothing big, but a pretty cool display piece. Whit Wyatt's unused Braves hat circa 1958-1965 in remarkable pristine condition.

Wyatt's best year in the big leagues was 1941 when he won 22 games and dropped only 10, while posting a National League best 7 shutouts. He was also the winning pitcher in the lone Dodgers victory against the Yanks in the Fall Classic.