PDA

View Full Version : Kalamazoo Bats Team Cards

Minerscoin
09-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Here is another little story from my card dealing past.
One day in the early 1980's a man called our coin shop and said he found a 2 cards in a bible in a house he was tearing down here in Kentucky. He said they one was a Boston tam card and the other was a Baltimore team card. He also sid they had the words on them Smoke Kalamzoo Bats. Well I had no clue what they were but looking in the Sports collectors Bible I found them listed at say $450+ each. I gave him a price I would pay and he said he would bring them in before we closed. He did and they were in great condition and was hoping he would sell them to us. He said he would sell them BUT(This should be of interest to Brad) only if I included the box of field grade arrowheads we had sitting in one of the showcases. At that time arrowheads especially field grade arrowheads were like a buck a piece so I said sure. He left and I called a nice gentleman name Cliff Lambert from Ironton Ohio and sold them to him. Cliff taught me the hobby and he has passed now but I will never forget what he did for me teaching me about the card business. He did not have to help me but I would sell him the rarer cards I would find because he would give me good deals on stuff I wanted. I do also remember selling him a Magie card in vg or so condition. Now this was back when cards were cheap but it was a lot of money back then. I would also like to thank his son Ron for helping me. I will never forget you guys. Man I miss those days.
Mark