PDA

View Full Version : Interesting PR release from Heritage

Rich Klein
09-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Please note -- this was not clear if this was just for the stamp division or for ALL aspects of Heritage. I would hope that this reduction is for ALL aspects of Heritage. The PR release is noted below

Regards
Rich

After spending much of the summer talking to old friends and new, we and our colleagues at Heritage/Bennett have heard quite a few expressions of discomfort with our previous 19.5% buyer's premium.

We want you to know how much we value your feedback and, as a result of all these productive discussion, are acting on your suggestions. So beginning now, with our first Internet auction of this Fall 2009 season, our buyer's premium for all auctions — Internet and public — is just 15%.

We're pleased and heartened so many of you took the time to speak frankly with us and that your thoughts were well-considered and thoughtful. We're also thankful for the great number of you who had positive feedback about the first six months of our new association.

All of us in the stamp division look forward to continuing the establishment of Heritage/Bennett in the tradition of great stamp auction houses.

Matt
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Looks just to be the stamp division. The BP on their sports listings is still 19.5%

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 10:27 AM
On a separate note regarding Heritage, after years of ignoring their auctions primarily because of their clunky Web site, I was prepared to bid in their upcoming auction because of item 81967, a 1920 Cleveland Indians American League champions pennant.

The one question I had was whether, as the item description reads on the Web site, the pennant really is 20 inches long. Given auction houses' propensity for having typos or inaccurate information in their descriptions, I wanted to make sure of the size of the pennant. Also, Heritage lists an estimated value of $4,000-$6,000, which, if the pennant really is only 20 inches in size, is quite, quite a stretch. So I figured there was at least a chance that maybe they got the size wrong and this is a full-size pennant (or at least three-quarter size).

After finally reaching someone in the sports division on the phone just a few minutes ago, I said I had a question and gave him the item number.

"Just a second and let me call that up," was the response.

I said that I read on the Web site that the size of the item is 20 inches and I just wanted to confirm that. At that point I can hear him reading the description to himself and am following what he's reading because I'm looking at the same text on my computer. He gets to the part of the listing that says the pennant is 20 inches in length and says, "Yes, it's 20 inches."

Without explaining again to him that, yes, I know the online description says its 20 inches and I was hoping for actual confirmation -- as in something more than re-reading what I've read -- I simply thanked him and hung up.

Now I can return to ignoring Heritage for a few more years. And if that pennant is more than 20 inches in length, Heritage's lack of customer service likely cost their consignor a considerable amount of money.

T206Collector
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Without explaining again to him that, yes, I know the online description says its 20 inches and I was hoping for actual confirmation -- as in something more than re-reading what I've read -- I simply thanked him and hung up.

You bothered to call them up, got a live person on the phone and didn't explain to him what you were looking for was for him to actually measure the pennant before you politely hung up?

And on this basis you are not bidding?

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Rob,

Send an email to Pete Calderon. I think his board name here is: petecld. He'll get you an accurate answer.

On a side note, I met Pete in person at the Net54 dinner. I shared with him the exact same thoughts you have on their web site. It's way too busy, and they run way too many small auctions, seemingly overlapping with others that are up at the same time.

I have purchased from them in the past, but I do hate finding my way around their site.

Also, not their fault, but I also hate the 8.5% sales tax that they have to collect from Texas residents. Added to the buyers premium that ups the total to 28% over the final bid price.

I know. I know. Factor it all in to your bidding, but if you and I want the same item, you have an 8.5% advantage over me, on every item.

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
You bothered to call them up, got a live person on the phone and didn't explain to him what you were looking for was for him to actually measure the pennant before you politely hung up?

And on this basis you are not bidding?

I said that I read the online description and was looking for confirmation that the pennant is indeed that length. I thought I was pretty clear that I read the text and was looking for more than that.

Apparently, to at least two people in this world, I wasn't clear enough. My mistake, apparently.

Leon
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I am having lunch with Chris Ivy in 2 days. I will mention the issue on customer service and reading the description back to the requester (Rob). I have done that too, concerning our auctions, but I have added more info ...such as "yes, it has a crease as the description says and I know this because I am the one that cataloged it."

As for their website being a bit busy I have spoken with Chris multiple times about it and they feel it is the best thing for their customers. They must be doing something right as their current auction is by far their best yet. To keep it real, I also think there is a little much going on HOWEVER, I have never had a problem bidding.....(living in TX I pay the tax too :mad:)

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 11:57 AM
To follow up:

Pete Calderon provided the info I was seeking within 30 minutes via a couple of e-mails.

It's good to know that Pete is an option when a call to Heritage's offices comes up empty.

Jacklitsch
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
To follow up:

Pete Calderon provided the info I was seeking within 30 minutes via a couple of e-mails.

It's good to know that Pete is an option when a call to Heritage's offices comes up empty.

And????

Don't just leave us hanging....

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
And????

The pennant measures 20 1/16 inches in length, if that's what you're referring to.

Jacklitsch
09-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks Rob.

Rich Klein
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I have my own complaints with it; but at least for me; it is very easy to manuver (sic) in.

Rich

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
And????

I thought he meant the part where you said "Thanks for the great suggestion, Jim!"

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I thought he meant the part where you said "Thanks for the great suggestion, Jim!"

I tried to PM you ...

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I tried to PM you ...

Never happened Rob! I'm calling you out!