PDA

View Full Version : How Rare Are Signed Lloyd Waner Perez Steele Cards?

tinkereversandme
09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I collect signed Perez Steele cards and I have always wondered how rare signed Lloyd Waners were. Clean Sweep says the following about the one in their current auction:

As with the Paige, an almost mythic rarity needed by virtually all collectors of signed Perez Steele cards. Lloyd Little Poison Waner passed away in 1982, long before the era of the autograph show and before Perez Steele cards caught on among autograph collectors. The offered card came from a very early set and has been in a closet for almost 25 years and was unknown to the hobby until now. Waner signed this in bold black sharpie - he began with one pen and finished with another (as determined by James Spence by examination under magnification). This is quite simply a superb example of one of the rarest signed cards in existence. This is only the second one we have ever handled, and we have not seen any other authentic examples in years. JSA LOA.

Now I have trouble paying $3,000+ for a $15 autograph, but how rare are they in "authentic" form? Experts, how many do you estimate exist?

BillyCoxDodgers3B
09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I have seen four Waners and two Paiges that I would consider authentic. I have also seen two Paiges that were signed on his behalf by a member of his family.

Matt
09-15-2009, 06:02 AM
There is a complete set in the current Heritage offering with both Paige and Waner.

RichardSimon
09-15-2009, 06:59 AM
The amount of these cards that are legitimately autographed is certainly in the single digits. But I shake my head when I see a $15 autograph with a $3000 price tag on it, just because it was signed on a Perez Steele card.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Richard,

I understand what you mean, but also enjoy the fact that a Perez Steele can actually make somthing as inane as a Lloyd Waner signature actually seem interesting!

pscolgrafs
09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree as I see what these Ashburn signed Perez Steeles sell for. I have actually seen like 5-6 authentic Paige's in legitiamte auctions over the last six months.

Here's a treat for you fine folks. Pulled this from the November 2007 Coach's Corner Sports Auctions. Note the description and the final selling price was $99.

Not the first, second, third or fourth from that year, or any of the toughies from that set. Honestly, what would you rather have $99 or $4000?