PDA

View Full Version : sfmays24 is a person of interest

Leon
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I have received an email about our member sfmays24 . He has registered with the name of ----. It seems as he is having some difficulties on the Collectors Universe board so I just want to alert our members to be careful too. I am not saying I have definitive proof of anything but it does seem there are some weird things going on. Bob can always come on and clear the air if he wants to. best regards

whitehse
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Leon,

Is this person and sfmays24 the same??? Because they both seem to have interest in the same cards and sfmays24 has a name of Mike.

barrysloate
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I used to do business with Bob Rund in the 1980's. He always had high grade T206's back then. Haven't heard his name in about 25 years.

justmike
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Leon,
This post may be well served in the trading areas as it seem that is where he is operating.And yes his name is Mike Ortega or at least that is the name he was using on CU.He gave me that name and a address to send to.
Mike

Leon
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
If this person is not the same person then I am apologetic but would rather be safe than sorry. The similarity of the login names was too close to discount it.

Barry- If you have known of this gentleman for 25 yrs I doubt it's the same person. If this other person, Mike Ortega who goes by sfmays24 on the other board, is in fact on our board, then I want our board members to know about it.

V117collector
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
please do not phone me again!

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-604-290-3000

Jim VB
09-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Brad,

Just out of curiousity, what's the connection between the guy Leon's talking about and this phone caller?

barrysloate
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Leon- I was just responding to the name Bob Rund. No, I don't know Mike Ortega.

Tcards-Please
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Brad,

Just out of curiousity, what's the connection between the guy Leon's talking about and this phone caller?

Jim,

Must be another virus on his computer :D because I can't seem to make a connection either.

r/
Frank

slidekellyslide
09-14-2009, 04:50 PM

paranoia paranoia
everybody's coming to get me
just say you never met me
i'm running underground with the moles (and digging holes)
hear the voices in my head
i swear to god it sounds like they're snoring
but if you're bored then you're boring
the agony and the irony, they're killing me
i'm not sick but i'm not well
and i'm so hot cause i'm in hell
and it's a sin to live so well

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBgmC_USeoM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBgmC_USeoM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rob D.
09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
And the SMR of Maple Crispette cards continues its recent, downward spiral ...

calvindog
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Are you all aware that no "bankers" went to work at the World Trade Center on 9/11?

I think we all know what I'm talking about.

judsonhamlin
09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Always enjoy a good Harvey Danger reference- they were originally signed to my brother in law's record label - odd group of guys.

Leon
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Dan- great song. I listened to all of it. (for the millionth time)

The first person that I made mention of has nothing at all to do with this situation. It was a complete mistake on my part...except the user id was very close. Sorry to Mr.Rund for that mistake.

It seems there are 3 sides to every story. Mike Ortega is a Net54baseball.com member and has been for quite some time. I have never heard his name until today, which is a good thing, many times. He gives a very different side of the story. I asked him if he would like to come onto the board and say what he did to me in an email. We shall see. regards

V117collector
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfHbWCRy-R0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfHbWCRy-R0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Jim VB
09-14-2009, 06:59 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfHbWCRy-R0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfHbWCRy-R0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Gee. Thanks. That explained the connection to this thread perfectly. Sorry I asked.

:confused:

Jim VB
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Are you all aware that no "bankers" went to work at the World Trade Center on 9/11?

I think we all know what I'm talking about.

http://www.loosechange911.com/about/synopsis/

I can send you a copy of the video if it will help!

Peter_Spaeth
09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I asked him if he would like to come onto the board and say what he did to me in an email. We shall see. regards

What did he do to you? :D

slidekellyslide
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Always enjoy a good Harvey Danger reference- they were originally signed to my brother in law's record label - odd group of guys.

Odd, but fantastic lyricists...and like so many bands that are so dang good they never really hit the bigtime. Flagpole Sitta is my favorite, but I really like Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo too. And I've always thought Ione Skye was a hottie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTnLVX689fE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTnLVX689fE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sfmays24
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Leon,

My name is Mike Ortega and my Net54Baseball name is sfmays24, I have read the message posted concerning me as well as more from the same PSA Forum members who seem to have nothing else to do but cause trouble (justmike & lsutigers1973).

First of all, the other member you mentioned mays-24 (Bob) is not me and has nothing to do with this mess (this is just another example of the reckless and baseless accusations by some of the PSA members).

I have been a member of N54 for a few years and have never had a problem with any members (buying, selling, or trading). I have also been a members of the PSA Forums for some 7 years or so and have never had any problems until a few weeks ago.

Here's a brief recap... I purchased a large '70's Baseball (Topps & 1977 OPC) starter set lot 3-4 years ago from a PSA member and decided to re-collect 1974-82 Topps Baseball sets with my two boys. These are raw mid-grade sets and I purchased, traded and received some free cards over the years on the PSA and N54 boards.

Well, a few weeks ago two members lead by the biggest loudmouth bully over there (Bill) lsutigers1973 started posting replies to my threads (and PM everyone) stating I didn't have any kids and it was all a scam to get free cards. Well, I do indeed have kids that I collect with and there was no scam. In fact most (80% of what I obtain was via trades or purchases) and I never had any transaction with lsutigers1973 because I was already aware what a hate monger he was, a person who enjoys spreading rumors and lies.

So, I decided to post a message showing my kids with our modest collection and that such lies are from cowards who hide behind their computer screens... that just lead Bill and his lynch mob to make new accusations... that I am using my kids to get free cards, that I never send cards I suppose to, that I receive cards and claim that they never arrived, ect... I gave up as I realized it was pointless to answer to these bullys, that they would make up new lies and try to influence some members who think it's okay to join in on the fun (stone throwing).

For the most part, I didn't care... but when I start reading the out and out lies and more outrageous accusation I decided to make an offer to all... that anyone is welcome to visit me and my family and view our collection and contact me if they have any gripe at all... well, no one did. However, Bill (lsutiger1973) seems to have nothing better to do than spread his hate. The moderator locked the thread, but Bill just got his friend to start a new one a few days ago and made more accusations... each time the story get "bigger."

The only real problem I had was one that occurred last year... I sent $25 plus a $25 cards for some cards we needed to another member. Cards never arrived and the USPS DC indicated the cards were delivered at 10am on a Saturday... well, I was home all day and mowing my lawn when my mail was delivered in the afternoon as always-no package ever arrived. I lost out on the cards, $25 and my $25 card... I never asked the sender for replacement cards or a refund (nor did he ever make such an offer).

However, this member decided to tell Bill about it and he has used this as an example over and over again, as well as stating that this happened many times. This is not true, but he and the other members are not interested in what happened... they prefer to entertain themselves by tossing stones and alike.

Currently on N54, I have a post offering 2009 UD Goudey cards for trade (I purchased a starter set from a PSA member)... I have a list of my wants and one with my dupes, anyone interested in trading may contact me and if they prefer I would be more than happy to send my part of any trade first.

I am no longer interested in the PSA Message Forum based on the child like behavior and those who are so easily swayed by rumor and lies... don't these folks have a mind of their own, why do they not asked for proof (not hearsay), why don't they contact me, do they think they are not going to be attacked in the future by the same group of bullys if they join in on the witch hunt?

I apologize that you had to take time for this and I will follow any suggestion you have, including not posting or using the N54 boards again.

Mike Ortega

calvindog
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
I really need to protect my damn privacy! Damnit!

V117collector
09-14-2009, 08:26 PM

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29C_KNZ7RNs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29C_KNZ7RNs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

calvindog
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Sweeeeeeeet

Awesome video, Brad. Great production values and content. I'm still humming that tune. I especially liked the pictures of Bush morphing into Tony Blair morphing into Obama morphing into Hitler.

HRBAKER
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29C_KNZ7RNs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29C_KNZ7RNs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'll give it a 95, Dick. It's got a good beat and is easy to dance to.

Jim VB
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Laugh all you want big boy! Even the NY Times has problems!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/09/14/malvertising-hits-the-new-york-times/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2 F2009%2F09%2F14%2Fmalvertising-hits-the-new-york-times%2F

(It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you!)

nam812
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
sfmays24 wrote: The moderator locked the thread, but Bill just got his friend to start a new one......

You are wrong. I started the thread on CU, and I did so to give sfmays24 a forum to explain himself (his thread had been locked) and tell his side of the story. My OP in that thread clearly shows that. Unfortunately sfmays24 never responded to clear his "good name", so many felt that his silence spoke volumes.

Doug
09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
paranoia paranoia
everybody's coming to get me
just say you never met me
i'm running underground with the moles (and digging holes)
hear the voices in my head
i swear to god it sounds like they're snoring
but if you're bored then you're boring
the agony and the irony, they're killing me
and i'm so hot cause i'm in hell
and it's a sin to live so well

I love a good Harvey Danger reference, but why not "Bring the Noise?" :D
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMOAbgvdkmc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMOAbgvdkmc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lsutigers1973
09-14-2009, 09:00 PM
In response to his claims:

Mike "and the boys" is only one guy that used his "boys" as an excuse to get free cards.

Many people fell for the act and sent him a lot of free cards. At the time "his boys" started collecting early 1970's sets, his oldest boy was just out of diapers. If you want to use a hook to get free stuff, whatever.

The biggest problem is the fact that at least 4 CU forum users and at least 1 from another forum sent him cards that he claimed he never got. All 5 had proof of delivery. One was a $500 set that he was supposed to preview and send back if he didn't like. If he decided to keep it, he was supposed to send the $500. Instead, it also mysteriously got lost in the mail. Out of these 5 transactions, 3 were paid with Paypal. On each one, he filed a Paypal claim for non-receipt. Each one, the seller lost the money despite that fact that each one had proof of delivery. He blamed the mailman. The sad part is that the other 2 were gifts from generous forum users that he still claimed he never got even though they were once again sent with delivery confirmation.

NOT ONCE did I claim he had no children. All I said was that he was a thief (which has now been proven) and that he used "the boys" as a way to get sympathy and free cards.

ALSO, his "trades" were also extremely 1 sided if you were dumb enough to fall for "the boys" line that he threw at everyone. I actually completed one trade with him. If you want to go by book value, I sent him about $75 worth of cards for a few worthless commons. I needed the cards to fill the holes and actually thought he was collecting with his boys. Found out later his youngest boy was still in diapers when I made the trade.

IF HE IS SO INNOCENT, WHY HAS HE NOT RESPONDED TO BEING CALLED OUT ON THE CU FORUM?

Matt
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Out of these 5 transactions, 3 were paid with Paypal. On each one, he filed a Paypal claim for non-receipt. Each one, the seller lost the money despite that fact that each one had proof of delivery.

Just one question: If these were forum transactions, how did Paypal re-imburse him for non-receipt? I was under the impression Paypal buyer protection is only for eBay transactions; otherwise how does Paypal know the terms of teh transaction?

lsutigers1973
09-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Each transaction he claimed was delivered to the right city but not the right address. Each time he hinted that the mailman may have stolen each item.

Matt
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Each transaction he claimed was delivered to the right city but not the right address. Each time he hinted that the mailman may have stolen each item.

you didn't answer my question...

lsutigers1973
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Forgot about this one:

I had ONE dealing with Mike. He offered me a current SMR and some 78's (molitor and murray rookie vg-ex) for $25.00. I sent him the money back on 1/05/09 and still havent received the cards(he didnt insure them). Filed a paypal claim and won but he closed his paypal account. I got NOTHING.

Kirk

lsutigers1973
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
If these were forum transactions, how did Paypal re-imburse him for non-receipt? I was under the impression Paypal buyer protection is only for eBay transactions; otherwise how does Paypal know the terms of teh transaction?

Paypal buyer protection does cover non-eBay transactions. The only way the buyer has zero coverage is if the money is sent thorugh one of the "personal" options. Plus, Paypal has little choice if a credit card chargeback is filed.

bbcemporium
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
you didn't answer my question...

Matt, I could be wrong, but I believe even outside of eBay, if delivery confirmation cannot be proved, one can still file a reimbursement claim through PP for a transaction that includes the purchase of goods. The eBay buyer protection policy is more comprehensive however, and includes claims such as SNAD, etc.

edit: Looks like LSU beat me to it

Matt
09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Paypal buyer protection does cover non-eBay transactions. The only way the buyer has zero coverage is if the money is sent thorugh one of the "personal" options. Plus, Paypal has little choice if a credit card chargeback is filed.

Thanks - I had no idea. Seems like a huge hole in Paypal's policies as they have no way of validating the terms of the sale.

Jantz
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Hello All,

If by now you haven't checked out the Net54 BST, then I will start by saying that I am currently in a trade with sfmays24/Mike. At this moment we have only discussed the trade and I was going to mail out the cards he wanted tomorrow. I am not sure if Mike mailed out the card that I wanted today or not. I PM'ed Mike just a few minutes ago and I am waiting for a reply from him.

After reading everything posted on this thread and reading all the posts submitted by our fellow collectors on the Collectors Universe message boards I have come to the conclusion that I am going to remain neutral in this situation and let Mike prove himself. I am extending Mike the same chance that I would extend any other board member here.

Mike posted on this thread earlier that he will mail first if that is what someone in a trade with him wishes for him to do. So I have asked Mike to mail my card first and offered a suggestion to him that it may be a wise decision to mail everything with delivery confirmation.

I will keep everyone informed as to what transpires from this point forward. Please keep in mind, I am trying to help all the board members here on this site and the collectors at CU also. I don't want anyone to get ripped off or... falsely accused. We have enough problems already with this hobby of ours.

Thanks,

Jantz

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I think you are missing the point. It wasn't the fact that he didn't send anything (excpet for one occasssion which was mentioned earlier). The problem was that he always claimed he never received the cards despite the fact that the sender always had proof to say otherwise.

Taxman
09-15-2009, 07:19 AM
I would suggest you do not buy, sale or trade with Mike. Back in January 2009, I sent him $25.00 via paypal for a SMR, and some vg 78's Murray and Molitor. I never received the cards and Mike didnt insure them. I filed a paypal claim and won but Mike closed his account and refused to refund me the money. Since it was a small purchase I just wrote it off until now. I had two bad transactions this year involving Mike Ortega(mays24) and Mike Wrenn(brookdodger55).

If you deal with either make sure they insure the package and you pay via paypal with a credit card.

Kirk

BCauley
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Delivery Confirmation is great, but does not prove that the person received their cards. I have a couple of friends that work for the post office and each one states that the one true way to prove delivery to the intended person is by obtaining a signature.

A fellow trader on another site had conducted a trade. The card he was to receive had delivery confirmation and it actually stated online that the card was delivered with the time and everything. However, the person did not have the card in hand. As it turns out, the card was delivered to an older woman about two blocks away from his house. That woman was nice enough to deliver it to the proper address. And yes, the address on the envelope was correct for the intended person.

Human error still comes into play with delivery confirmation. Though a great tool, it is not fool proof.

Ladder7
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
We all know some card collectors, low or high-end, have the moral compass of a telemarketer, used car salesman or a tin man. There's simply too much on this guy to disregard.

"Our" BST is the most reliable venue for online trading as one could find on the web and in real life. Of course it's caveat emptor, but we also must be proactive in protecting the forums' excellent reputation.

There are dozens of trading sites. If it were my choice, I'd let him post on the Main to perhaps build a little trust. But, for now at least, let's encourage Mr. Ortega to knock on one of those other doors for trading. Steve F

mays-24
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Leon, this is Bob Rund. I've just noticed this post and can't believe your reckless actions by posting my name with false accusations. I've never been on the CU Board and don't know what you are talking about!!

Why didn't email me instead of using this for a Public Flogging, you should be a SHAME of yourself. Done give me the crap about protecting the Board, I have rights too!! Email me next time.

Barry amazing memory. I wish I had keep these T206's I bought from you.

Matt
09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Bob - it seems to have gotten cleared up pretty quickly that you're not involved in this mess. I suppose Leon should have changed the thread title.

Leon
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I think you are overreacting a whole lot. I said it was a mistake. Have you ever made a mistake? You should be ashamed of yourself for not being able to see what went on. Please show me where there is a public flogging?

bh3443
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,
Just a question for all the autograph experts about this guy's post for autographed 1961 Topps cards.
Is it possible to get a Rogers Hornsby signed 1961 card? I'm not sure
if he was alive then.
I knew a few oldtimers way back that did try completely signed sets
and in their 61 set they used a cut auto for the Ruth and Gehrig cards.
So, was Hornsby around in 1961? Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Bill
PS: One of my customers was down to 2 cards to finish his 1978 Topps set
way back. That's the closest I've seen! On my attempt in 1979, I got about 500 of them done via mostly mail back then. It was fun, especially when 5+ years later envelopes arrive with signed cards! Very hard signers were the players from South American countries.

barrysloate
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Bob- hope you are well. It certainly has been a very long time.

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone,
Just a question for all the autograph experts about this guy's post for autographed 1961 Topps cards.
Is it possible to get a Rogers Hornsby signed 1961 card? I'm not sure
if he was alive then.
I knew a few oldtimers way back that did try completely signed sets
and in their 61 set they used a cut auto for the Ruth and Gehrig cards.
So, was Hornsby around in 1961? Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Bill
PS: One of my customers was down to 2 cards to finish his 1978 Topps set
way back. That's the closest I've seen! On my attempt in 1979, I got about 500 of them done via mostly mail back then. It was fun, especially when 5+ years later envelopes arrive with signed cards! Very hard signers were the players from South American countries.

Bill,

Hornsby passed in January of 1963. I believe that in 1961 he was working for the Mets as a scout.

Rich Klein
09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
So you could have gotten an in-person autograph during the 62 season

bh3443
09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your help.
Since we are on the subject, are these possible:
1963 Hubbs
1973 Clemente ( I doubt it)
1979 Munson

I want to thank you and the rest of our community for always sharing a wealth of information. Net54 is the best!

I hope you all enjoy this gorgeous day!
Regards,
Bill Hedin

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Okay, for those who care to hear the truth on some of the latest accusations by PSA Forum members (who have joined to post here).

I will start by saying the vast majority of PSA Forum members are great folks, many (but not all) have posted positive replies to all the negative threads started by lsutigers1973... most (and I don't blame them) don't want to get involved in the mess, they know it means they will be attacked and have a life outside the Forum.

I would also like to apologize to fellow board member mays-24 (Bob) for causing him any grief in this mix-up... it was the reckless comments by a PSA Forum member who was responsible. I'm not sure why some folks think it's okay to start throwing stones just because others are, most have nothing to do with this mess and I guess it's just human nature-very sad.

nam812, I stand corrected on your reason for posting the PSA thread... I tried twice to respond on the PSA threads and each time lsutigers1973 just made more and more outrageous (lies) accusations... it is pointless to argue with a bully. I did offer anyone who had a gripe or concern to contact me and no one did. It was obvious that they preferred to just join the lynch mob and pile on the lies. Some people are easily swayed by the amount of lies, even if there is no proof... the lies just keep pile up and some say it must be true now, but that is not the case at all. No matter how many lies lsutigers1973 tells, they are still lies and show what kind of person he is (and as I stated before, I have never made a deal with him because I saw how he treated others from the day he joined).

Taxman, you forgot to mention all the relevant facts as you have in previous threads... I sent you the items and you know this to be true, based on the DC you found that the Post Office could not deliver the package to the address you provided. This package was being sent to some mail center near you, why didn't you ever mention these facts? Instead of taking me up on my offer for anyone who has a gripe with me to contact me, you just posted over and over again how I scammed you. I guess you got your $25 worth of revenge on me and must be proud of yourself now?

Jantz, I replied to your PM before seeing your message in this post and felt you preferred to back out of the deal based on your comments (and I understand why you feel that way). However, if you still want to make the trade my offer is still a good one-just let me know what you prefer.

As for the other 4 or 5, or 1000... or the $200, $500, or soon to be $10,000 deal I didn't follow through on... complete and total lies!

Mike

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your help.
Since we are on the subject, are these possible:
1963 Hubbs
1973 Clemente ( I doubt it)
1979 Munson

I want to thank you and the rest of our community for always sharing a wealth of information. Net54 is the best!

I hope you all enjoy this gorgeous day!
Regards,
Bill Hedin

Here's the dates of each individual's death:

Hubbs - 02/13/64
Clemente - 12/31/72
Munson - 08/02/79

Hubbs and Munson are very possible. Clemente was card #50, so possibility depends upon exactly when Topps released the first series. Dave Hornish might know.

whitehse
09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
As for the other 4 or 5, or 1000... or the $200, $500, or soon to be $10,000 deal I didn't follow through on... complete and total lies!

Well Mike I have been following this saga on both boards and I am now feeling compelled to respond. I have not been ripped off or anything like that but your comment above is not totally true.

I did send you about 400 2001 and 2002 Topps Heritage baseball cards back in November of 2008. I had receipts (and still do)and I do believe delivery confirmation on the rather large box but you stated to me that you never received these cards. Now these were sent for "you and the boys" and I did do it because I wanted to and never expected anything in return. It did really bother me that these cards were not received and I felt terrible to think that you might have thought I lied about sending them. So much so I even PM'ed you a copy of the receipt to prove my mailing. I was preparing a new box to send to you because I felt bad but as of yet have not figured out where I placed the remaining heritage cards so the box was not sent yet.

While I am not saying you ripped me off and I know the post office does lose items, I am saying that the 4-5 people on the PSA boards that sent you stuff and "it was never received" sure sends some red flags up...I would think even you can see my point on this.

Again, not saying you ripped me off but I think there is cause for concern and
to say this statement "As for the other 4 or 5, or 1000... or the $200, $500, or soon to be $10,000 deal I didn't follow through on... complete and total lies!" is not totally true

You have done nothing to dispel the issues about the non-deliveries. Have you talked to the postmaster in your area to tell him that you dont get a majority of your mail? Have you talked to them to find out how they can lose a 500 count card box placed inside a rather large brown box that was sent to you??

Alot of board members did something out of the goodness of their heart and wanted to help someone who we, well I felt was not well off financially get a solid start on collecting with his kids. Looking at the photos you showed on the PSA boards its obvious you have a real nice collection of graded cards. I am just feeling a little "taken" here if it is found out to be true that these cards were actually received. I dont have alot but I like to help others and I will really be disappointed if it comes out that I was lied to.

I think you owe it to at least 4-5 of us that sent you stuff and never expected anything in return, an explaination on why these cards were "never received".

Leon
09-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I have to agree that if there is a loss of more than 1 item in a short period of time (say about a year) then there is reason to be concerned. I am still waiting to hear something about that aspect of this whole mess. I guess I do about 200-400 shipments (sending and receiving) a year and in 15 yrs have probably had about 1-2 items lost.....It very rarely happens, is my observation. I would like to hear more on these shipments that never got received... regards

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
whitehse,

I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up in so many threads, what are you looking for from me?

Last year you offered to send us some cards and as we discussed so many times in your PM that we never received any. How is this a scam or rip-off, what would be the purpose to us claiming not to have received anything from you?

We never complained to you or thought you were not telling the truth in your PM messages, but still you feel a need to make such accusations over and over again-why? You state that you sent us some cards and have proof that we received them... and I state that is not the case. Feel free to post your proof that we received them, otherwise let it go as we did last year.

We thanked you for trying to help us, what more do you want from us?

Mike

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Leon,

We have made hundreds of trades & purchases with with fellow PSA & N54 board members over the years and I still feel the only legitimate non-delivery item resulted in my loss of the cards, $25 cash and a $25 graded card... I never blamed the sender in any way, didn't ask for a thing (nor did he offer any) I consider this matter closed and I thought the sender did as well.

How is this a an issue at all now and why has one person who has nothing to do with this made so much of it?

Mike

PS: not that it matters, but this issue and the one about us losing the cards, money & graded card (sent as part of the deal) both occurred last year and neither person took me up on my offer to settle any gripe they had with me. Instead they just joined the stone throwing and passed on their side of the story without mentioning all the facts.

nam812
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
sfmays24, I would like to hear more about the $500 set of cards that was sent for your approval and then if it was to your liking you would remit payment for it. That was a large amount of trust on the sender's part, and it is the contention of some that the sender has proof of delivery, but you claim not to have received that set either.

I always like to hear both sides of a story.

whitehse
09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
whitehse,

I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up in so many threads, what are you looking for from me?

Last year you offered to send us some cards and as we discussed so many times in your PM that we never received any. How is this a scam or rip-off, what would be the purpose to us claiming not to have received anything from you?

We never complained to you or thought you were not telling the truth in your PM messages, but still you feel a need to make such accusations over and over again-why? You state that you sent us some cards and have proof that we received them... and I state that is not the case. Feel free to post your proof that we received them, otherwise let it go as we did last year.

We thanked you for trying to help us, what more do you want from us?

Mike

I never said this was a rip off and I never said that you did not think I was telling the truth or wanted any more from you. I felt bad that a father and his sons who are trying to start a collection did not receive the cards that I had sent. Nothing more...nothing less.

I do think that you owe the people who sent you stuff that was lost in the mail at least a minimal effort on your part to investigate this on your end. I checked with my postmaster and as far as he found out the package was delivered but you state it wasnt. The only thing I would like from you is to find out from your postmaster why you are having such issues getting your mail and if they have any packages that are undeliverable laying around. A little effort on your end would have gone a long way to make us feel that you have a crappy PO and not something else.

As to what else I want from you...nothing more than the information I listed above. As to why you might do something like this...I really have no idea but as I said before.....too many lost packages does make a person wonder what the deal is.

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
nam812,

Some 5 1/2 years ago I sold a $2000 item to a board member, payment was received and item delivered.

Approx 1/2 year or so later, I inquired about a card he discussed in a thread and asked if it was for sale (and a scan)... he sent me a scan and told me he would sell it to me, but only if I purchased others as well. I asked for scans for those and never received any after 2-3 weeks of waiting. He contacted me and offered to send the cards and I told him that wasn't necessary, that scans will do. A few weeks later he asked about them and I told him that I still haven't received anything (cards or scans)... that was the last I heard of this matter until a couple of weeks ago (some 4-5 years later).

Once again, this person never took me up on my offer to settle any gripes and failed to mention all the facts when he spoke of this matter... once again, I'd like very much to see such proof of shipment/delivery to me and am more than willing to do what I can to make this right need be.

However, since I know that such items were never received and that the $200-$300 deal has now become a $500 deal (and perhaps grow the next time the story is told), what am I suppose to do?

Mike

justmike
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
You stated we have made slanderous remarks about you.Not once have you denied solicating handouts or that you have a big problem with items being delivered(be it because of the PO or you).So explain to me again how my remarks were uncalled for?

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:08 PM
whitehse,

Please forward the proof you speak about, that shows items were received from you and I will file a complaint with the Post Office. Why you didn't do this or contact me when I made an open offer to everyone, is something I'll never understand.

As for other issues you talk about, I have addressed them here and tried to on more than one occasion elsewhere ...which just led to the very angry member to post more untrue accusations, each more outrageous than the last, you cannot reason or have a mature dialog with such a person.

Mike

Leon
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
whitehse,

Please forward the proof you speak about, that shows items were received from you and I will file a complaint with the Post Office. Why you didn't do this or contact me when I made an open offer to everyone, is something I'll never understand.

As for other issues you talk about, I have addressed them here and tried to on more than one occasion elsewhere ...which just led to the very angry member to post more untrue accusations, each more outrageous than the last, you cannot reason or have a mature dialog with such a person.

Mike

Hey Mike
So it is your contention there has only been 1 lost package? It seems that there are more people saying it than 1?

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
justmike,

As stated in this thread, I did indeed reply to the accusations which simply led to more outrageous lies... you may believe that I do collect with my Kids (as so many others do), or you may not... that's your choice, but to make accusations that I do not and are somehow cheating folks is not okay (or accurate).

One last point, the sets we worked on and completed are raw mid-grade (EX or so) cards, they do not have much value as some have claimed other than pure enjoyment that some folks can't seem to understand. In addition, only some 20% or so of the cards were offered to us as gifts and done so by nice collectors... the rest was obtained via trade or purchases. Why some people think this is some how a scam or dishonest I cannot understand.

Am I the only collector who has built sets this way? Is there no one out there who has traded, purchased, sent or received free cards in the past?

All our post are offers to trade period... if someone send us a card and asks for nothing in return we find that to be very kind and generous (and express so each and every time) and the same goes for our trades.

Mike

mays-24
09-15-2009, 12:20 PM
We've all made mistakes. But you should know better after running this forum all these years about over reacting to an email. You should have emailed me first!!

Read your own words - He has registered with the name of Bob Rund. It seems as he is having some difficulties on the Collectors Universe board so I just want to alert our members to be careful too.

You are alerting the board about me without getting my side??

I enjoy most post on this board and I don't need you starting trouble.

Get over Leon you made a mistake.

Taxman
09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey Mike
So it is your contention there has only been 1 lost package? It seems that there are more people saying it than 1?

Leon,

The package he(supposedly) sent me was lost in the mail. I filed a paypal claim and they ruled in my favor but Mike closed his account so I didnt get a refund. He got my address from paypal when I sent him payment. So his excuse of not having the right address is WRONG. Where there is smoke there is fire, This baby is FLAMING!!!!

Best answer is probably for all of us to contact the post office in his town.

Kirk

mays-24
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Barry,

I was doing great until this morning.

How are are you doing? Are you getting excited about your Yankees?

Bob.

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Leon,

There is only one that I can verify... Bobafett72 (who was banned on the PSA Forum and later signed up with a new user ID IchiroDeported) provided a DC number for me to verify last year.

The others mentioned (one last year and one some 4-5 years ago), I cannot verify to consider them the same as above. However, each posted they have proof of delivery... I will check with the Post Office/file complaint when such proof is provided. What else can I do?

Mike

Matt
09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Mike - how many packages that others have claimed they sent to you didn't make it?

mays-24
09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Bill,

Hornsby could have and did sign his 1961 Topps card. There was a PSA/DNA signed 1961 Hornsby on Ebay last year. I wish I had bid on it.

I've been working on my signed 1961 set since 1988.

If anyone has any authentic signed 1961 Topps cards LMK.

Bob.

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Taxman,

Why can't you just stick to the truth in this matter? The USPS website indicated that the package could not be delivered to the address you provided, you have to DC # and know this already... in addition, you know that the package was sent to the Mail Facility. You stated that I never sent you anything, or that I closed my account-both untrue.

Mike

chaddurbin
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
if the packages are miraculously found maybe you and your sons should put some up for auction...and give 50% to a charity, MS would be my choice.

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Matt,

The answer is zero... I can only verify one as mentioned and eagerly await info to check on the other two.

Mike

justmike
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
justmike,

Am I the only collector who has built sets this way? Is there no one out there who has traded, purchased, sent or received free cards in the past?

Mike

I have built many sets and no none were built for free.Keep in mind I was one of the people who sent you free cards.
Mike

sfmays24
chaddurbin,

If any are found, they will be returned unopened... I await the proof to do my part on this end.

Mike

Taxman
Date Posted: Feb/11/2009 9:43 AM
That's the address I used... do you want me to ask them to send you the items?

Copy of your CU pm about the address. AGAIN, you got my address from paypal. I have bought numerous items on this board and EBAY using paypal and they supplied the same address as I gave to you.

Kirk

Matt
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Matt,

The answer is zero... I can only verify one as mentioned and eagerly await info to check on the other two.

Mike

I didn't ask how many you have verified. I presume before people send you something they speak with you via email to discuss what they are sending and get your address? I'm asking how many times have people said they would send you some cards and you never got the package?

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:38 PM
justmike,

Believe what you will, our sets are not built for free... do you not believe the folks who have replied stating they sold or traded cards with us?

Did we not thank you for any cards you sent us, what are you looking for from me?

Mike

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Taxman,

I used the address you provided and you verified that fact, you also know that what I wrote is true... it is not my opinion, but the USPS noted on their website that the package could not be delivered to the address you provided. I asked you if you wanted me to contact the mail facility once they process the package to then have it sent to you... I concluded that you did not once you filed a paypal claim.

Mike

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Matt,

Sorry, misunderstood your question... the answer is 3 in 7 years.

Mike

Taxman
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Mike,

I verified Paypal's address supplied to you after the mail was lost was in deed my address. It seems you know how to operate the Postal system in order to get free items or payments.

whitehse
09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
whitehse,

Mike

In an effort to no longer clog up this thread with the ole' he said..he said....I forwarded the information and receipts that I have to Leon in a PM. I am backing out of this thread now as I never was actually "ripped off" but feel something is not quite right.

I will leave others to sort it out.

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Taxman,

What, are you kidding?

This is why I gave up on the previous PSA threads, I point out the missing facts to accusations that only lead to more ridiculous allegations.

Mike

nam812
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
sfmays24, in my post to you I said it was a "set" of cards that was said to have been delivered to you, not a high value graded card or two. Are you saying that no one has ever sent you a $500 set of cards (approx value) for you to approve first and send payment later if you liked it?

barrysloate
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Bob- yes, excited about the Yankees, but not so excited about this thread. I don't understand why this lengthy and complicated issue has to be aired in public like this. Can't the parties involved work it out themselves?

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 01:03 PM
nam812,

Based on the info I read about in all the threads over the past few weeks, I concluded that you were talking about the issue I addressed in my last reply to you... I have nothing more to add and await the proof you or someone else has that shows such delivery of items/set.

If you are asking if there is another set/deal, then the answer is no.

Mike

nam812
09-15-2009, 01:09 PM
So you never had a deal in the works for a 1969 Topps 4 in 1 football set to be sent to you for you to look over and then possibly purchase if you approved of the set?

mays-24
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree Barry, it should have been handled behind closed doors via email.

I'm hoping my SF Giants somehow get there.

Good luck with your Yankees.

Bob.

oldjudge
09-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a baseball signed both by Calvin Cooledge and Mother Teressa. The ink seems the same although I guess it could have been signed at two seperate times. What do you guys think?

Taxman
09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Thats a nice ball. If you sell it to Mike be sure and hand deliver it.

Kirk

oldjudge
09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Mike--Thanks for the tip. I have one for you--proper English is "if you sell", not "if you sale".

Rich Klein
09-15-2009, 01:31 PM
The 1973 Clemente is not possible to have been signed. I opened packs from my grocery store in 1973; and those cards were not even in the store until early March.

Rich

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
This is rather simple now.

Three people have replied to this thread saying they did not receive the promised items from Mike or the items they sent "disappeared" despite proof that they were delivered.

Mike has admitted to a 4th. The deal with Bobafett.

The $500 set in question was also delivered to Mike's house even though he claims it wasn't. I was only informed of this deal through PM's on the CU board by a very well respected forum user and collector.

Mike's explanation is just another lie that he contiues to try and make people here believe.

That makes at least 4 packages that were delivered to Mike with proof of delivery and he claims he didn't receive. Plus one package that he kept the $25 and ran.

In 9 years of selling on eBay, I have only had 1 item that truly was lost in the mail. Just these that were proven here is 5 to or from Mike's house in 1 year.

Yet, still no explanation as to how this could be possible.

Taxman
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Very well summarized!

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
There is only 1 that I can verify via USPS DC #, this is not a new issue at all. It is the same one brought up over and over again by the same unhappy person who seems to have nothing better to do than cause trouble... I'm the only one who lost out on this deal and after nearly a year don't consider it a issue any longer.

The other two possible issues have been discussed here and I am awaiting the proof that shows I receive them (they were never received).

Mike

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
We've all made mistakes. But you should know better after running this forum all these years about over reacting to an email. You should have emailed me first!!

Read your own words - He has registered with the name of Bob Rund. It seems as he is having some difficulties on the Collectors Universe board so I just want to alert our members to be careful too.

You are alerting the board about me without getting my side??

I enjoy most post on this board and I don't need you starting trouble.

Get over Leon you made a mistake.

Bob,

Go back and re-read the whole thread. Leon was very cautious about what he said. He made no accusations. He offered to let anyone who wanted come on the board and explain. You did that just fine. Your good reputation is intact. Hell, being a friend of Barry's will do that for you on this board.

In addition Leon apologized in two different threads (#5 and #14), if it was two different people.

The person in question was in the middle of a couple of deals involving board members. There was a need to get that info out, and Leon did it in a timely manner. When he was wrong on one point, he apologized, immediately.

I'd say, let it go.

ibuysportsephemera
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
This thread is a joke and a waste of time and should be locked (please). I do not know any of the parties involved so I have no axe to grind one way or another...but it seems that certain people have joined this forum specifically to carry on a beef from another website.

Jeff

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
There is only 1 that I can verify via USPS DC #, this is not a new issue at all. It is the same one brought up over and over again by the same unhappy person who seems to have nothing better to do than cause trouble... I'm the only one who lost out on this deal and after nearly a year don't consider it a issue any longer.

The other two possible issues have been discussed here and I am awaiting the proof that shows I receive them (they were never received).

Mike

WOW!! All the eveidence is in this thread along with the 1 you admitted to. Why are you still denying it?

nam812
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
sfmays24 you did not respond to my comment so I will repeat it for you:

So you never had a deal in the works for a 1969 Topps 4 in 1 football set to be sent to you for you to look over and then possibly purchase if you approved of the set?

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
"...but it seems that certain people have joined this forum specifically to carry on a beef from another website"

You are of course correct and I apologize to all for this mess. I have followed Leon's suggestion to post and try to address any issues.

The same people will continue to throw stones for their own amusement, as they did in 2 previous PSA Forum threads (both locked now).

Mike

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
nam812,

I believe we are talking about the same issue, just the value ($200-$300 price offered to me some 4-5 years ago) and that they were baseball cards (not football).

Mike

nam812
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
So what happened to that complete set of baseball cards that was sent to you before payment for your approval?

Anthony S.
09-15-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

sfmays24
09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
nam812,

As I have already mentioned, I never received the additional scans (some 15-20 total), nor any cards. Now that this is a topic, I would very much like the proof that shows I received these scans or cards.

Mike

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I sent a message to the CU forum user that has more information regarding the missing set. I sent him a link to this thread and asked that he explain the truth ONCE AGAIN that Mike is ignoring and trying to spin the truth.

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Your response on another thread about 2 weeks ago:

There has only been 1 time that I paid for a group of cards and never received them... the seller sent them (I never question that) and they were either mis-delivered or lost? ...the tracking number indicated that the package was delivered at 10am that morning, but that was not the case since I was mowing my lawn and my mail arrived at 2pm (as always) without the package in my box.

This was supposedly a year ago but you happen to remember that you were mowing the yard at the specific time that the cards were supposedly delivered a year earlier?

BTW, once again there ARE 3 PEOPLE that have responded to this thread that say the about statement is a lie after you failed to receive cards from them or them from you. None of the 3 people that responded are even the 1 you were referring to in the above statement.

Matt
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
So nice to see the lurkers posting more frequently.

ALR-bishop
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
nam812,

As I have already mentioned, I never received the additional scans (some 15-20 total), nor any cards. Now that this is a topic, I would very much like the proof that shows I received these scans or cards.

Mike

Several years back after a discussion about the Topps 1969 4 in 1 stickers on CU I got a pm from Mike asking if I had an extra Mays. I did, but told him that it was part of a extra set I had and did not want to sell just the Mays. He expressed some interest in the set but wanted to see scans. I do not scan worth a darn.

I had successfully bought a high dollar item from Mike previously ( involving 1967 Topps Punch Outs), so I felt ok sending him the set for his review with the understanding he would pay a price, as I recall $ 250 ( because some stickers had loose backing ), or send them back. He says he never recieved them. Maybe he didn't. I let it go. Worse things happen in life. But, when this topic, "sent but not recieved", popped up on CU recently, I just posted that I had already learned my lesson here.

And, no, I can no longer "prove" anything. Nor do I care anymore. The end.

I post as bishop on CU. I post here, but in the post war pre 80 section

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Why is it that a couple of times each year, this board gets invaded by escapees from the CU Forum? Invariably these guys are in a "huge" fight over something, have been banned or locked out of that board, and elect to continue it over here. It seems their issue is always over $25-$50, usually in shiny new cards.

Do these guys think we are incompetent? We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! We don't need help from immigrants from other boards! There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one! We can play offense or defense! We already know the meaning of the word "disfunctional!"

What can we do to take our board back?

(Short of that, what can we do to discuss cards again?)

scooter729
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
What's the record for sub-off-topic topics within one off-topic thread? This has to be approaching record status here.

BCauley
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't post often at all as is apparent by my post count and I lurk a lot. I've picked up a few cards on the B/S/T and sold some T206's a couple of years back. I love to read and learn on these boards and as a result, I've been able to take that information and help out other people on a couple of other boards I go onto once in awhile. I have read this thread and by the end wanted to pull my hair out as it got to the point that it just made no sense anymore. Quite a few people have already stated now that this needs to go private so there really is no need to have another person come to join this mess.

Anyway, that's a lurkers two cents so take it for what you will.

I sent a message to the CU forum user that has more information regarding the missing set. I sent him a link to this thread and asked that he explain the truth ONCE AGAIN that Mike is ignoring and trying to spin the truth.

barrysloate
09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with Jim, and Jeff earlier: this argument does not belong on the vintage board, and should be moved to the post war section or deep sixed. There are participants on this thread who are virtually new here, and shouldn't be allowed to conduct this kind of nonsense.

This thread should be locked.

justmike
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Why is it that a couple of times each year, this board gets invaded by escapees from the CU Forum? Invariably these guys are in a "huge" fight over something, have been banned or locked out of that board, and elect to continue it over here. It seems their issue is always over $25-$50, usually in shiny new cards.

Do these guys think we are incompetent? We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! We don't need help from immigrants from other boards! There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one! We can play offense or defense! We already know the meaning of the word "disfunctional!"

What can we do to take our board back?

(Short of that, what can we do to discuss cards again?)

I understand what you are saying but we were warning the fellow collectors here about this guy in question.I for one don't want to see anyone get ripped off.I was kind of hoping you guys would send Marshall our way as payback.I thought he was a riot but no such luck.
Mike

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I understand what you are saying but we were warning the fellow collectors here about this guy in question.I for one don't want to see anyone get ripped off.I was kind of hoping you guys would send Marshall our way as payback.I thought he was a riot but no such luck.
Mike

Perfectly understandable, but Leon warned people in post #1. By post #10 or so, we, pretty much, knew there were concerns. The last 100 posts (including mine) are all off topic or overkill.

This is a VINTAGE BASEBALL CARD BOARD. Please point me to concerns which are about that subject.

Edited to add:
Will you take Marshall and Bruce?

timzcardz
09-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Now THAT right there is funny!

Ladder7
09-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Heh, For sure, there's a moral to that story somewhere.

On a related topic, I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce Lajoie

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Heh, For sure, there's a moral to that story somewhere.

On a related topic, I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce Lajoie

I used to go with - "Lah-joy", but Rob D insists it is - "Lah-zo-way." I defer to him on this matter.

Thanks Steve! :D

justmike
09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I used to go with - "Lah-joy", but Rob D insists it is - "Lah-zo-way." I defer to him on this matter.

Thanks Steve! :D
Interestingly enough I adistant relative of Lajoie,My family now spells it Lajoy.

lsutigers1973
09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
My last response.

Found this in one of the PM's on another forum regarding Mike and "the boys".

interesting thread about mike and his boys lol.

he is the one who claimed that he never got the cards i sent him (delivery confirmation showed delivered) and he told me his postman was shady etc.

BUT those cards disappeared OFF his wantlists.

The cards were never delivered but they are no longer on his....excuse me....their want list.

bh3443
09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Rich---
Thanks for the info on Clemente's 73 card!

Jim VB
09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
The 1973 Clemente is not possible to have been signed. I opened packs from my grocery store in 1973; and those cards were not even in the store until early March.

Rich

Rich,

In the spring of 1973, I was a senior in high school and turned 18, which was legal drinking age back then. I was NOT buying baseball cards in any grocery stores in the Elmira NY area!

Sure glad you remember that year clearly!

:D

bh3443
09-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi Anthony,
LOL, great youtube post! By the way, I sent you a money order today for our 2nd deal!
Thanks, my friend,
Bill Hedin

Rob D.
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
We have many posters on Net 54 who are perfectly capable of mucking up our own board! ... There are many of us who can start a fight and continue one!

Did somebody call me?

bh3443
09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi,
nam, is that you that has the truly gorgeous 218 registered set?
I love those cards and was just wanting to say congratulations on a suberb set, if that's you!
All my best,
Bill Hedin

justmike
09-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi,
I love those cards and was just wanting to say congratulations on a suberb set, if that's you!
All my best,
Bill Hedin

Nick those sound like fighting words.

nam812
09-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi,
All my best,
Bill Hedin

Yes Bill that is me, and thank you very much for your kind words.

Regards, Nick

Leon
09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
It's my fault this thread started at all. The reason I started it was obvious. There was someone on our BST that seemed to have some issues, real or not, following him. I feel it is my/the moderators responsibility for alerting other Net54baseball.com members. I mistakenly thought it was someone else with a very close USER ID to the one in question. That was my mistake and for that I am sorry and apologize. As for this thread.....I am not sorry I started it as it needed to be talked about since there were things on our BST that it pertained to ie...the people involved. Regards

barrysloate
09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Why aren't post-war discussions sent over to the post-war side? That's what we have it for, so that we can send these train wrecks over where noone will look at them.:)

oldjudge
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
In March of 1973 a new shipment of blotter had just arrived on campus. I thought I saw a Roberto Clemente signature on the side of the sheet of 100 hits but then again maybe it was floating over the sheet, or maybe it was on the giant caterpillar that was crawling over the overpass that I was driving under. Or wait, maybe that was 1974.

HRBAKER
09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
In March of 1973 a new shipment of blotter had just arrived on campus. I thought I saw a Roberto Clemente signature on the side of the sheet of 100 hits but then again maybe it was floating over the sheet, or maybe it was on the giant caterpillar that was crawling over the overpass that I was driving under. Or wait, maybe that was 1974.

I was only in 8th grade but I thought I saw a Clemente signature after sniffing a freshly printed pop quiz straight off of the mimeograph machine.

Rich Klein
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
We had a 400 post thead come out of no where and that was only a few short months after a NY hobby dinner thread that was at the end of 2006.

This thread; NOTHING; compared to those thread in twists and turns/

And; advanced autograph collectors do pay attention to what cards are "possible" to have signed and what cards are "impossible" to have signed.

And to keep this on a pre-WW2 basis; I'd wager that having a Doc Powers signed T-206 card would be nearly impossible

Rich

Jacklitsch
09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm still looking for this PC. email jacklitsch@comcast.net

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/Personal/PowersPostcard.jpg

ChiefBenderForever
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM

In the summer of 74 I was 4 years old. The sun was going down, my babysitters were sitting on a bench at a park when a green car drove up with a couple losers who started talking to them. They asked me if I wanted a piece of candy and gave me a sugar cube. I woke up and saw bugs crawling everywhere and completely freaked out screaming all night trying to get the bugs off me while my mom kept asking what was wrong. To this day I have a bug phobia.

19cbb
09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Why aren't post-war discussions sent over to the post-war side? That's what we have it for, so that we can send these train wrecks over where noone will look at them.:)

+1

smtjoy
09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
While the thread has gone way long I do agree that it needed to be posted because one of the parties is on this BST and I do think the main board is the right place to have it.

bh3443
09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Scott,
Is that your ebay store with the stunning 4/1 exibit cards and single player high end graded one as well?
If so, on having these hard to find and very attractive cards.
I look forward to buying some 4/1 cards from you in the future.
Regards,
Bill
bh3443@aol.com

Rich Klein
09-16-2009, 05:21 AM
If it were about 100 years later; some one would have created a "signed" version of that complete with "cut signature"

Rich

Kalineman
09-16-2009, 07:58 AM
In response to the question earlier in this thread about Rogers Hornsby's role with the Mets in the early 1960s, former Mets pitcher Jay Hook is a friend of mine. A couple of weeks ago when we were talking about the early Mets teams, he told me Hornsby was a "hitting advisor" for the team. he may also have been doing some scouting. So it's entirely possible for Hornsby to have signed the 1961 Topps card.

justmike
09-16-2009, 08:01 AM
I have seen a 1961 Golden Press card signed by Hornsby so it is probable that he signed a 1961 Topps also.
Mike

autograf
09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Leon........please be sure any of these CU immigrants are not going to be eligible under the new Obama health plan. We cannot afford to cover our own Net54 people, much less these immigrants. Fire up the death panels.....

Matt
09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Tom - I sent you a Private Message either yesterday or the day before - was it received?

Jim VB
09-16-2009, 08:32 AM
In response to the question earlier in this thread about Rogers Hornsby's role with the Mets in the early 1960s, former Mets pitcher Jay Hook is a friend of mine. A couple of weeks ago when we were talking about the early Mets teams, he told me Hornsby was a "hitting advisor" for the team. he may also have been doing some scouting. So it's entirely possible for Hornsby to have signed the 1961 Topps card.

If I remember the story correctly, the Mets first hired Hornsby as a scout when they were preparing for the expansion draft. He had a reputation of not being too fond of "modern" ballplayers. He spent the entire 1961 season scouting every major league team. The Mets knew that you could never be sure who a team wouldn't protect in the draft and they wanted a report on everyone.

When his season end reports were filed, he blasted nearly every player as not having the skills necessary to play big league ball. He did file one, marginally favorable report though. The comment made about one player was simply, "Looks like a major league ballplayer."

That player: Mickey Mantle. (You have to admit, he had had a pretty good year in 1961.)

Jim VB
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Leon........please be sure any of these CU immigrants are not going to be eligible under the new Obama health plan. We cannot afford to cover our own Net54 people, much less these immigrants. Fire up the death panels.....

Tom,

YOU LIE!!!

mays-24
09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Leon,

Would you please edit my name and net54 handle out of your initial post on this thread?

This will help close my involvement in this.

Thanks,
Bob.

slantycouch
09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Tom,

YOU LIE!!!

Haha nicely done.

smtjoy
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Leon, I do think the thread title should be changed to sfmays24 (the person in question) and not Mays -24 (Bob who is not involved).

sbfinley
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Wow. Beatles Rock Band comes out and I miss so much.

Probably doesn't matter at this point, but I did complete a deal with Mike Ortega about a month ago and there were absolutely no problems with the deal. The cards were shipped promptly. They were packaged in a fine manner. And honestly I thought I got great a great selection of cards for they meager price I paid. I had no problems with him and we was very cordial throughout all of our emails.

Just my vote of confidence for Mike.

Jacklitsch
09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
That edit is half ass. Bob's name is still in the post. :(

Doug
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow. Beatles Rock Band comes out and I miss so much.

I figured everyone here would have bought Guitar Hero 5 instead so they can play the new "Bring the Noise" remix. :D Also please don't send any train wrecks over to the postwar side. It's actually peaceful over there.

GoldenAge50s
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
This just in----

Kanye West has interrupted Patrick Swayze's funeral to state Michael Jackson's was better!

Cat
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I have never once visited the CU site and I don't think I ever will.

Doug
09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
I have never once visited the CU site and I don't think I ever will.

I think I've looked at it 2 or 3 times and nobody's missing much.

roarfrom34
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I think I've looked at it 2 or 3 times and nobody's missing much.

I've checked it out and if the card isn't shiny or older than 5 months, very few posters have any idea what they are.

nam812
09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, the innocent guy asks for his name to be edited out of the title and gets banned.

HRBAKER
09-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I've checked it out and if the card isn't shiny or older than 5 months, very few posters have any idea what they are.

I think you have to use the word "poppage" a lot if you frequent there.

Jim VB
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow, the innocent guy asks for his name to be edited out of the title and gets banned.

I'm willing to bet that there's more to that story than your brief summary.

nam812
09-16-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm willing to bet that there's more to that story than your brief summary.

There didn't have to be. The guy, understandably aggravated, asked more than once.

carrigansghost
09-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I have resigned myself to lurker status as a result of a few. That would also mean that I will spend no more money in b/s/t until this school yard crap is done.

Rawn.

nolemmings
09-17-2009, 12:13 AM
the guy didn't seriously get banned, did he? I admit some of these posts the past couple days are almost surreal to me--their apparent intolerance of others baffling and heavy-handed. Tell me I'm missing something.

Maybe lurking is looking better and better.

Tcards-Please
09-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Based on just the member requesting to have his name removed does seem harsh, but you don't know if he said something else in a pm or email to Leon that isn't posted. I'm sure that he wasn't banned based solely on that request.

r/
Frank

roarfrom34
09-17-2009, 06:00 AM
I think you have to use the word "poppage" a lot if you frequent there.

I swear the other day when I was on there, their actually was a guy who started a post asking for the mailing address of former player & Yankees/Royals manager Dick Howser (who has been deceased for over 20 years)

2dueces
09-17-2009, 06:02 AM
I swear the other day when I was on there, their actually was a guy who started a post asking for the mailing address of former player & Yankees/Royals manager Dick Howser (who has been deceased for over 20 years)

Dick Howser died? Damn, next thing you'll tell me is that Elvis is dead. That will really ruin my day.

Cat
09-17-2009, 06:28 AM

Yeah OK, but is he stilling signing?

roarfrom34
09-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah OK, but is he stilling signing?

He has an exclusive deal with Coaches Corner!

Leon
09-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Based on just the member requesting to have his name removed does seem harsh, but you don't know if he said something else in a pm or email to Leon that isn't posted. I'm sure that he wasn't banned based solely on that request.
r/
Frank

He got banned for what when on in private emails to me. I was tired of it so made it easier on everyone. I had apologized 3 times publicly AND there was never anything bad said about the guy. My guess is senility....

For the record I get plenty of private emails about being too lenient on the forum. Then, when action is taken, there is public anger. It's really a no win for us moderators, many times. A few years ago I made the decision to do what I feel is right and move on. Most of the times it's the correct decision and sometimes it's not.....but it's a decision. Lets get back to cards now. If anyone thinks this thread needs to continue to be open they can PM me....thanks much