PDA

View Full Version : I love Fed Ex

paul
09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Me: Hello, Fed Ex? I just walked outside and found a Fed Ex tag on my door. It says on it that your delivery guy left it five minutes ago, when I was home. I'm not sure why he didn't knock. Anyhow, can I pick it up today at your offices?

Fed Ex: Let me check to see if the driver can come back right now. (10 minute delay). Sorry, he says he has left your area and can't come back.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your offices?

Fed Ex: Sure, no problem.

Me: Where is it?

Fed Ex: About 20 miles away.

Me: Gee, that's strange. I live in a city of a quarter million people. I'd think you would have a closer office than that. But, ok, I'll come get it. What time do you close?

Fed Ex: 5:00.

Me: And what time do you expect the package to be back at your offices?

Fed Ex: Around 8:00.

Me: Well that won't work very well, will it?

Fed Ex: No, I'm sorry, it won't. But we can deliver it for you on Tuesday between 9 and 5.

Me: That won't work either. I work for a living and can't stay home all day waiting for a package.

Fed Ex: I understand.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your office on Monday?

Fed Ex: No, that office is closed on Monday. That's why they won't be delivering it until Tuesday.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your office on Tuesday?

Fed Ex: Sure, come by any time before 5:00.

Me: Remember that thing I said about working for a living? It's real tough for me to leave work early enough to fight through traffic to go 20 miles out of my way to your office before 5:00.

Fed Ex: You can pick it up next Saturday.

Me: So, the shipper went through the trouble of sending this by Fed Ex because he had some sense of urgency. And you're telling me I have to wait an extra week?

Fed Ex: Yes, sir, I'm sorry.

Me: Can you re-route it to my office?

Fed Ex: No, I'm sorry, the shipper has placed a restriction on the package.

Me: So the only way for me to get my package is to wait a week and drive 20 miles to get it?

Fed Ex: That's correct.

Me: Will Fed Ex keep trying to deliver it to my empty home in the meantime, and then send it back to the shipper?

Fed Ex: Well, to prevent that, we need to make an entry in the system?

Me: Can you please do that?

Fed Ex: I'm sorry, you'll have to call back after the package is returned to the office at 8 pm tonight.

Me: Great.

Fed Ex: Have a nice day!

Ladder7
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Hilarious... Do yourself a favor, wait the week and drive the extra distance.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89SKOBQTEuY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89SKOBQTEuY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Doug
09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I had the same thing happen with a $7500 card. I ended up having to call to have the delivery rescheduled for the next day, then use a vacation day from work so I could sit around the house all day waiting for them to redeliver it. :mad:

yanksfan09
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I had a very similar situation with them when I bought a paintball gun over a year ago. I waited all day long for the thing after I had missed them on previous days (Working). It was a weekend day and I had called them earlier to make sure they were coming that day. I stayed home all day waiting for it instead of going out and doing something. They were supposed to come by 5 or 6 ( they said between 9 and 5 or 6 or something). I waited until about 7pm and called their office and they told me they had made a delivery attempt.

I got very heated because they did not come at all. I waited literally 10 feet from my front door all day watching TV etc... on the couch waiting. They never came, knocked, nor did they leave a slip on my door saying they made the attempt.

I told the person at the office all of this on the phone and after a bit of a verbal tirade from me I made arragements to come pick it up at their office which, suprisingly enough was about 20 miles away.

The crazy thing is, is that they have a major shipping office about 4 miles from my house but said they could not re-route it there for me to pick up for some crazy reason.

It was ridiculuos, I never will use them for shipping and hate it when someone ships something to me via them.

HRBAKER
09-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't get me started on Fed Ex. I would rather use a wagon train.

sox1903wschamp
09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I sympathize. I cringe when someone sends my little obsessions via Fed X. Twice I have had to drive 45 miles each way for pickup and I live in a town of about 40k.

Scott T
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I have never had an issue with Fed Ex or UPS, perhaps due to the following:

1) I live in a small town.
2) I know “the” Fed Ex man, and “the” UPS man.

I know big cities have their advantages, but this is one benefit of living in a small town.

Adam
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
So if everyone seems to dislike FedEx here, who do you prefer over them?

yanksfan09
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Anyone......like one poster said " a wagon train"

But in all seriousness, I had a few problems with them and hardly ever get anything shipped by them. I just highlighted the worst experience.

I'd certainly take the regular US mail serivce or UPS anyday.

slidekellyslide
09-12-2009, 05:24 PM

My mailman.

FedEx and UPS both just throw packages up on my porch and run without knocking. One day I came outside to see what my dog was barking at and it was the UPS man piling up packages (about 10 boxes from Hunt Auctions) on the side of my house...he never knocked at all...I asked him why he didn't knock and he said he thought no one was home...why he thought that when my truck was parked in the driveway I have no clue...I almost never have anything delivered by FedEx except for auction catalogs (in the olden days) and I'd watch the FedEx guy from my window drop and run. One time I found a package sent UPS behind my trash can in my car port...I have no idea how long it had been there.

Rob D.
09-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Our regular UPS and FedEx guys are great. Each has gone out of his way to make deliveries to our home.

Our USPS carrier, on the other hand, wouldn't get out of his truck if it were on fire.

D. Bergin
09-12-2009, 05:46 PM
As a former UPS driver I can tell you it's all about the numbers. Get every package possible off your truck as quickly as possible. If you have time to take a lunch, they didn't give you enough work in the morning. :D

V117collector
09-12-2009, 05:53 PM
FedEx seems to be a pertty reputable world wide company. If anything I would highly recommended there services especially on over night deliveries. I'm actully surprised that so many board members dislike them

I guess UPS is on the other side of the spectrum when talking about costomer service!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0Bf5KBiEps&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0Bf5KBiEps&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

slidekellyslide
09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Our regular UPS and FedEx guys are great. Each has gone out of his way to make deliveries to our home.

Our USPS carrier, on the other hand, wouldn't get out of his truck if it were on fire.

What does your mailman do when he needs a signature from you? Honk? Drive up on your lawn? Or does he just pretend you weren't home and throw a notice in your mailbox?

Rob D.
09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
What does your mailman do when he needs a signature from you? Honk? Drive up on your lawn? Or does he just pretend you weren't home and throw a notice in your mailbox?

Leaves the slip in the mailbox; I go to the post office the next day to pick up the package. He's the main reason I rent a box at the local UPS store.

slidekellyslide
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I once caught a mailman (not our regular mail guy) dropping the slip in the mailbox...the funny thing is that he had to come right back down the street on the other side and when he came back around I asked him why he didn't come up to my front door and he said he did, which was a complete lie since I watched him pull up to my mailbox...I was waiting for something I knew I had to sign for.

Bicem
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
That sucks Paul, I feel your pain. I've had the same issue with UPS, their pickup location is about 40 miles from me.

I much prefer USPS over both FedEx and UPS.

buymycards
09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I am biased because I work for the Post Office, buy my nearest UPS pick up point is 40 miles away. It is open from 9am to 10 am Monday through Friday.

Rick

V117collector
09-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Me: Hello, Fed Ex? I just walked outside and found a Fed Ex tag on my door. It says on it that your delivery guy left it five minutes ago, when I was home. I'm not sure why he didn't knock. Anyhow, can I pick it up today at your offices?

Fed Ex: Let me check to see if the driver can come back right now. (10 minute delay). Sorry, he says he has left your area and can't come back.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your offices?

Fed Ex: Sure, no problem.

Me: Where is it?

Fed Ex: About 20 miles away.

Me: Gee, that's strange. I live in a city of a quarter million people. I'd think you would have a closer office than that. But, ok, I'll come get it. What time do you close?

Fed Ex: 5:00.

Me: And what time do you expect the package to be back at your offices?

Fed Ex: Around 8:00.

Me: Well that won't work very well, will it?

Fed Ex: No, I'm sorry, it won't. But we can deliver it for you on Tuesday between 9 and 5.

Me: That won't work either. I work for a living and can't stay home all day waiting for a package.

Fed Ex: I understand.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your office on Monday?

Fed Ex: No, that office is closed on Monday. That's why they won't be delivering it until Tuesday.

Me: Well, can I pick it up at your office on Tuesday?

Fed Ex: Sure, come by any time before 5:00.

Me: Remember that thing I said about working for a living? It's real tough for me to leave work early enough to fight through traffic to go 20 miles out of my way to your office before 5:00.

Fed Ex: You can pick it up next Saturday.

Me: So, the shipper went through the trouble of sending this by Fed Ex because he had some sense of urgency. And you're telling me I have to wait an extra week?

Fed Ex: Yes, sir, I'm sorry.

Me: Can you re-route it to my office?

Fed Ex: No, I'm sorry, the shipper has placed a restriction on the package.

Me: So the only way for me to get my package is to wait a week and drive 20 miles to get it?

Fed Ex: That's correct.

Me: Will Fed Ex keep trying to deliver it to my empty home in the meantime, and then send it back to the shipper?

Fed Ex: Well, to prevent that, we need to make an entry in the system?

Me: Can you please do that?

Fed Ex: I'm sorry, you'll have to call back after the package is returned to the office at 8 pm tonight.

Me: Great.

Fed Ex: Have a nice day!

Paul, how much did it cost for a writen transcript and is it legal to obtain without consent, Is there any good lawyers in the house?

prestigecollectibles
09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Tokyo with a population of about 12 million people has delivery services similar to UPS and Fedex. You can choose the time you would like the package delivered at no extra charge. You can choose 8am-noon, 12pm-2pm, 2pm-4pm, 4pm-6pm, 6pm-8pm or 7pm-9pm. They deliver everyday of the year and there is no extra charge for weekend delivery. When I lived there I had the driver's cell phone number and could often call to have the package redelivered the same day if I missed him. I forgot to mention that almost every package is delivered next day. Fedex and UPS really need to improve the way they deliver packages.

vintagechris
09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
my USPS man would often leave the slip in my box instead of knocking on my door when I was home.. Used to burn me up. So I started calling to complain everytime it happened. Seems to have gotten better.

rdwyer
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
All UPS drivers drive by my place because they think they can't get in. If they just pick up the phone and dial my unit number, they would get buzzed in. But NO, every time I have a package from UPS I have to go 20 miles to pick it up.

Steve D
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I live in an apartment complex with central mail boxes. Co-located with our individual mail boxes, are several large locking parcel boxes for any packages that are too big for the normal boxes. Normally what happens is the USPS person puts the parcel(s) in one of the large boxes, locks it, and puts the key in our individual box, thereby letting us know that we have a parcel.

Well, twice this year, I've had multiple parcels delivered to me and placed in a large parcel box, but the key wasn't put in my individual mail box; therefore, there was no way for me to know the items were there. To make matters worse, the key was left in the (unlocked) parcel box both times. So basically, my items (all cards bought off ebay) were left unsecured and available for anyone to come by and grab. In the first case, five separate packages had been sitting unsecured in the unlocked box for three days.

The only way I found out the items were there, was that in each case, I had been sent the USPS tracking number for at least one of the items, and went to the USPS website and saw that their system showed the item as having been delivered. Knowing that I hadn't received them, I went back to the boxes and opened all the unlocked large boxes until I found my packages sitting there.

Now, people here think I'm some nosy SOB when I get my mail each day, since I've gotten into the habit of opening all the unlocked parcel boxes just to make sure nothing is sitting there.

Steve

ChrisStufflestreet
09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I once won a lot of 50 cards from the 1952 Topps set from eBay. Even though I wasn't sure when the package would arrive, I knew that the mailman usually arrived around 11-12 so on days where I wasn't working I made a point of putting myself somewhere that allowed me to see him coming through the window.

One day, I took my daughter to school at 8 AM. As I got home, there was a pink slip left in the mailbox...the guy had showed up early! I jumped back in my car, drove down the road and found him. And a stack of '52 Topps made it home with me.

Cat
09-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I call UPS quite often when I miss the drop off (I am not sure I have done this with FedEx but I think so). I always ask the person that answers the phone that "if he cannot bring it back to me, where is he going to be at 20 minutes from now, I'll meet him there." I have met the trucks several times. One time I met the UPS truck behind a Ralph's store and then a couple months later I met a driver behind the same store. It seems like this was some sort of stopping point for the driver to get organized. It is only 10 minutes from my house.

Jim VB
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
"All politics is local." - Tip O'Neill

When I used to live in OH, I, on several occasions, watched the mailman pull up to my streetside box, put the mail inside, and drive away. When I picked up the mail those days, there was the slip that said they had tried to deliver a package and no on was home. After the second time it happened, I drove to the PO. talked to the Postmaster who checked in back and found out the carrier hadn't even taken the package out with him but, instead was filling out the forms in advance.

After we moved to TX, I found that the carrier here is a hardworking guy and a pleasure to deal with. I never have delivery problems (except Wednesdays when he's off.)

But UPS and FedEx here are a pain to deal with compared to the ones in OH.

It's people that cause the most problems, not companies.

D. Bergin
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty lucky. I've never had a problem with UPS or FedEx............though FedEx seems to be more prone to dropping the tag and running before you can get to the door. They are a much quieter bunch then the UPS guys who just want to get as much stuff "OFF" their truck as possible.

I've had the tag in the mailbox from the USPS driver occasionally but only seems to be when a cover driver is working the route. Nothing that's not easily rectified though. I understand from being a cover driver for years at UPS that you are forced to take lot more shortcuts then the regular guy if you don't know the route as well.............and you are still expected to do it as fast as him.

Buythatcard
09-14-2009, 05:37 AM
I've been having issues with Fed Ex. also. Both my wife and I work, so we are never home when they show up. They will leave their door tag and state that they will be back the next day. Of course, there is no mention of any time. Twice I have found the door tag in other places besides the door. One time I found it in my driveway and the other time I found it stuck to the bottom of my tire. I believe it was also laying in the driveway and I drove over it.

I usually end up driving around 15 miles to the Fed Ex office to pick it up. Atleast they are open till 8 PM in my area.

I have told some of the people who send me Fed Ex packages to please use USPS instead.