PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Overland Candy stock

Bob Lemke
09-10-2009, 08:02 AM
A correspondent has sent me an example of a half a dozen Overland (R301) cards he recently bought. I suspect they're fake, since the sample he sent is printed in dark blue on greenish stock about the consistency of the colored construction paper we used in school in the 1950s. It's also only the player portion of the "wrapper."

Can anybody give me a verbal description of the real thing? The Standard Catalog says it is "waxy."

Thanks much!

rhettyeakley
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Bob, the one I had was not very waxy. It was a very easily ripped paper stock. They came in a variety of colors. I wouldn't be too quick to call the ones this guy bought as being fake, as they don't sound like they are outside the realm of possibility. If you have a photo that would probably help.
-Rhett

Here is mine (recently sold so I no longer have it in front of me)...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/overlandrolfe.JPG

Leon
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I own about 3-5 of these and the paper does in fact look and feel a bit waxy to me...though I don't have them in front of me at the moment that is what I remember

Bob Lemke
09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
After reading your thoughts and re-examining the sample, I'm leaning toward genuine, but severely trimmed, to just the area of the pictures and text.

Here is a detail of the central portion. While I am concerned with the "strike-through" at the team name, the blue print shows no dot structure or pixelation (is that even a word?) to indicate a copy. There is a sort of weaxy feel to the paper, though not like you'd expect to find on a more recent candy wrapper.

What do you think on value . . . 50% of VG "book?" 25%? 10%?

Leon
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
After reading your thoughts and re-examining the sample, I'm leaning toward genuine, but severely trimmed, to just the area of the pictures and text.

Here is a detail of the central portion. While I am concerned with the "strike-through" at the team name, the blue print shows no dot structure or pixelation (is that even a word?) to indicate a copy. There is a sort of weaxy feel to the paper, though not like you'd expect to find on a more recent candy wrapper.

What do you think on value . . . 50% of VG "book?" 25%? 10%?

I have seen a fair amount of trimmed ones and they just don't sell too well, from my experience. Maybe $25-$50 on this one.....or in that ballpark, is my guess. I think there are/were a few on ebay that were trimmed and were on there a long time without selling. Demand on them is only so-so to start with as they stretch the definition of what a "card" is...though I do consider them one I would guess many collectors might not. If I had this in auction I would put it with some other misc items to generate more interest. ..regards

paul
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Does anyone have a scan of the Johnny Mize that they can post? I've always wanted to see one. Thanks.