PDA

View Full Version : The Big Train Crossed the Tracks

Pup6913
09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
As some or maybe all of you know I picked up a GAI 8 Walter Johnson about a month ago. After much waiting and a long flight from KC to Phili., then a 1 1/2 hr drive north I made it to SGC headquarters. After about an hr of sweating my :eek: off Mike G. came out to give me the news. He smiled and said "you are lucky because alot of high grade from them doesn't cross well. With that being said I have good news for you. It crossed as a 84 (7 NM) and the bad news is it has a diamond cut keeping it from being higher. So I ended up with the second highest grade T205 Johnson out there. The other is 1/2 pt. higher and as I am sure if not for the cut this thing would have made 8 easy.

So thats the GREAT news:)

Now the question is I have spoke with several auction houses (as well as Leon) about this card. Do any of you tend to see houses bringing higher realized prices than others. Please no Mast...... Legendary auctions as I want to be paid some time before the resurection. All have guarenteed top seats and great coverage. But as a seller who do I go with. This is just an opinion poll as I will make the final descision but most of you use these houses regulary.

Thanks to all for the input.

Andrew

barrysloate
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
All auction houses have the same set of bidders, so as long as you pick one that is professional and conscientious you will get roughly the same price with whomever you go with. I know some will differ with me but that is my take.

Some auctions appear to get higher prices, but it is pretty common knowledge that not all prices posted were actually realized.

Edited to add I just noticed you are doing this as a survey. You should have had a choice for "all of the above."

Matt
09-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Shouldn't you be more interested in your take then in the price realized?
The BP varies between the options you set out and you may be able to negotiate...

chiprop
09-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Goodwin or REA

Adam
09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
It's a great card . . . keep it in your collection for a while and enjoy it!

Pup6913
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Shouldn't you be more interested in your take then in the price realized?
The BP varies between the options you set out and you may be able to negotiate...

Yes this should be reworded to clarify that I am interested in the strongest price for me. Also Adam as much as I love this card and it's beauty I need to sell it.

chris122868
09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I have never sold to one but have bought from and i think REA.

V117collector
09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
All auction houses have the same set of bidders, so as long as you pick one that is professional and conscientious you will get roughly the same price with whomever you go with. I know some will differ with me but that is my take.

Some auctions appear to get higher prices, but it is pretty common knowledge that not all prices posted were actually realized.

Edited to add I just noticed you are doing this as a survey. You should have had a choice for "all of the above."

I would somewhat agree with Barry’s statement only if there the auction houses are well known and trust worthy. Here are some other thoughts when looking for an auction house.

Customer service is key; especially for new consignors!!

Promotion and or advertizing is a must (auction house catalogs) .

0% Consignors fee (big plus) ~ or having the ability to renegotiate sellers.

It would be wise to consign to a reputable auction house at first, then if not satisfied try a different Co…

Epps
09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Rea

barrysloate
09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
There are very good small auction houses and there are poor large ones. The idea that only a large auction house can get you top dollar is a hobby myth.

Go with somebody you trust and with whom you are comfortable. The size of the auction house should not be your first consideration.

Pup6913
09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
There are very good small auction houses and there are poor large ones. The idea that only a large auction house can get you top dollar is a hobby myth.

Go with somebody you trust and with whom you are comfortable. The size of the auction house should not be your first consideration.

Barry I am with you 110% on that I am going to look at them all but being new to the auction side other than Ebay I am looking for feedback and info on houses large and small. Especially if anyone has sold through them before.

Jantz
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
What.....no Net54 auction?

Need 3 reasons why:

1. No BP

2. No "hammer fee"

3. No "stick it to me"

I think some of Rob.D's sarcasm has drifted southwest. :D

Jantz

Matt
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
For $ in your pocket, I'd go with eBay, using their 5 free monthly promotion where your FVF is capped at $20. You'd be out only $20 + 3% (Paypal) and have huge exposure. Even if it sold 10% less then at a major house, you'd still end up ahead.

Thrill-of-the-Hunt
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
i like ebay, you can list the card right now with a high buy it now or best offer option. then you can wait for your price. you know already what you are willing to sell it for, so give it a shot. if it does not sell, you can consign to an auction house a little down the road.

FrankWakefield
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Now how can I vote if Goodwin isn't an option?

Vintageclout
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
First and foremost....I would not place a card of this staure on eBay! All of the other auction houses you've presented as potential options would work, but I would choose either Goodwin or REA. They seem to get stronger $$$ for high-end cards, and since you would have to wait until next spring for REA, you might want to go the Goodwin route.

The good news is your T205 Johnson is awesome, and I'm sure you won't be disapoointed with the end results via any major auction house!

Regards,
Vinatgeclout

Pup6913
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Now how can I vote if Goodwin isn't an option?

there is no way for me to add any others. I tried to add REA and Goodwin but can't do it. I will make a mark on my list here though.

ethicsprof
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
congrats on the Johnson!!!
i'd go with B and L or Sloate(if he's ready to get back in!);
it's like keeping it in the family.

all the best,
barry

cfc1909
09-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Goodwin or REA...:D

Matt
09-08-2009, 06:16 AM
First and foremost....I would not place a card of this staure on eBay!

Why not? He'd save a ton on the fees and with eBay's current promotion, even if it brought in 10% less then a house he'd still have more in pocket.

David R
09-08-2009, 09:40 AM
The two I was thinking of are not even on the polling list. I would go with either Barry Sloate or REA.