PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Baseball Illustration

aelefson
09-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Hi-
I recently acquired the drawing scanned below and I was hoping this board might be able to help with some questions I have regarding it.
The darwing looks somewhat familiar to me both in style and the exact image. Does anyone recognize it? There appears to be an artist's initials of DP with a year of 17 (for 1917) or 19 beneath the diamond containing the initials. Does anyone recognize this artist? At the bottom there is an inscription that reads, "To Mahler, from 'The Dutch Admiral'". I thought that there was a slight chance that it referred to "Admiral" Schlei, but I could not find any reference to him being referred to as "The Dutch Admiral". It was framed in Peoria IL and the frame appears to be correct for the late teens.
I am guessing that there is no connection to Professional Baseball but I figured it was worth a shot to see if anyone recognized anything about this piece. It was probably made by a high school artist and given to a friend, but I figured I would double check with the board. Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyone's help on other odd items I have posted in the past. I really appreciate the information that everyone provides!
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

CarltonHendricks
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Allan, What are the dimensions inside the frame?

aelefson
09-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Carlton-
It is approximately 9.75 inches tall and 7.25 inches wide. I would appreciate any help with this piece.
Thanks in advance,
Alan