PDA

View Full Version : Additions to Lipset's Encyclopedia

Jason Carota
09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
There are a few references to future volumes dealing with D cards, H cards, and others throughout Lipset's Encyclopedia. Were any additional volumes ever released? Are there any other books available that go in to detail about sets not covered by Lipset in the first three volumes?

ChrisStufflestreet
09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I believe Lew was so burnt out doing the first three volumes that he shelved the idea for the rest.

Kinda like what George Lucas should've done...but I'll can the OT stuff now.

toppcat
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I believe Lew was so burnt out doing the first three volumes that he shelved the idea for the rest.

Kinda like what George Lucas should've done...but I'll can the OT stuff now.

Yeah but the last 3 volumes of the Encyclopedia would have been good.

FrankWakefield
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
My understanding is that Mr. Lipset had considerable information together on M's and W's... but just wasn't ready to put that next volume together and then fund the initial printing. Three volumes. I'm thankful we have those...

ethicsprof
09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
i agree, Frank.
there are a number of helpful books out there but Lipset continues to be the
one which i turn to again and again, often 4 or 5 times a week.

best,

barry

Rich Klein
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
and I'm sure of that because we had some copies at Beckett (and ran them occassionally in the old Beckett Vintage) of checklists and backgrounds of sets Lew did not run in the encyclopedia.

Regards
Rich

buymycards
09-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I agree that Lew's books are excellent and I have often wished that more volumes were available. The copyright date on mine is 1983, and it would be interesting if an updated version was available. Lew's research seems to be very thorough and precise, but I'm sure that many new variations and quirks have been discovered in the past 26 years.

I wish I had the ambition and the knowledge to take on this project. Bob Lemke and the Krause Standard Catalog have done a good job of keeping track of recent updates. I would love to see a catalog that dealt with only pre-1980 baseball and one that would include all of the most obscure sets and cards, along with more thorough descriptions of the sets and variations.

Rick

FrankWakefield
09-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Rick,

There were no updates as in a revised edition. Sometimes something would be mentioned in Mr. Lipset's newsletter, The Old Judge.

It had to be extremely frustrating to see an error in there after it has been printed. Those things have a way of hiding until printing...

In an ideal world a dozen of us would step away from our real lives for a few weeks, immerse ourselves in a meeting wherein we updated Mr. Lipset's 3 volumes, added a 4th and maybe 5th, and revised and updated The American Card Catalog (in my mind making it only a baseball card updated version). But as I look at the mess in this little office, as I hear today's news, I realize we're not in my ideal world.

Potomac Yank
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
In the late 198o's, I can recall being in his den in Centereach, LI, picking up the third known Doyle from Lew's auction.
As we were sitting there, talking about the card, he pointed towards his computer.
I walked over to it, and there was the updated information about the Doyle error card being prepared for the latest edition of The Old Judge.

Lew amigo, Thank you for the three volumes, and Thank you for the follow ups of The Old Judge. :)

t213
09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
I was lucky enough to obtain from Lew the E126 Brown and E120 Tobin that are pictured on p. 48 of his E book. Their connection to his book makes them key parts of my collection.

Andy

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/Cloran86/e126brow.jpg
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/Cloran86/e120tobi.jpg

Jason Carota
09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the initial three volumes. I've had my copy (3-in-1) for less than a year, and it is already worn out. :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

t213:

I believe this goes well with your E126:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/jay1065/1901-1939%20Red%20Sox/E%20Cards/e126_1927_tobin.jpg

rdwyer
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Perhaps a new section here at our forum: wikipedia54.org (?)

It would have sections for D cards, etc. where people can submit and add to checklists that they have that you can't find elsewhere. I've had my Lipset book for years, and use it frequently. Awesome book!