PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Bond Bread - Exhibit size

paul
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Are the Exhibit size versions of the 1947 Bond Bread cards legitimate? Were they really issued by Bond Bread?

If there are legit ones out there, are there also fakes? How can you tell the difference? Thanks.

Paul

Bob Lemke
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Hello Paul,

The exhibit-size cards that share images with Bond bread cards are definitely legitimate, circa late 1940s cards, but there is no known connection with Bond bread. They were possibly produced for use in vending machines.

I'm thinking that by the time the 2011 Standard Catalog deadlines that I'll move a lot of the sets out of the "Bond Bread" heading to avoid confusion.

fkw
09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
slightly smaller than an Exhibit card.... but with the same overall look and feel.

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1947bondx2.jpg

paul
09-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, I picked up my first two of these Exhibit size Bond cards off of ebay. The card stock looks a little suspicous of me. Looking at the back, it reminds me of the fake Exhibit Mantles and fake Bazookas I have seen. Do any of you know if this is what they are supposed to look like? Can someone post a scan of the back of one of theirs? Thanks.

Paul

aelefson
09-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi-
I was about to post about a George Tebbetts card (scanned below) I picked up last week wondering what issue it was from. Looking at the scans above I am guessing it is this issue. Paul, unfortunately, mine has the same back yours does. I received mine as a minor throw in to a trade I did last week. Both the dealer who I traded with and myself thought it was a newer issue (but I would love to be proven wrong).
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

paul
09-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks Alan. Maybe Frank can post a scan of the back of his card.