PDA

View Full Version : Value of old sports newspapers?

bbcemporium
08-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I recently came across a very large collection of old newspapers from the '20s-60s. For the most part, the articles are sports related and have not been cutout, but remain entirely intact. I flipped through a few, and there are dozens of articles related to the major sporting events and stars from those eras. Does anyone have any ideas of the value of items like this? There are literally thousands of them in this collection.

Thanks in advance

barrysloate
08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Newspapers from that era are worth very little. But if you have thousands and can organize them into some form of historical archive, you can find some value there.

RichardSimon
08-30-2009, 09:20 AM
If some of those newspapers have major headline stories,, ie. JFK assassination, WWII A Bomb, Dewey beats Truman, etc. those would have some collector value.

toppcat
08-30-2009, 11:31 AM
If some of those newspapers have major headline stories,, ie. JFK assassination, WWII A Bomb, Dewey beats Truman, etc. those would have some collector value.

I have a number in this category, from major World War 2 headlines through the 69 Mets (and a few later ones of significance). Anyone know buyers for these?

ibuysportsephemera
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I might be interested depending on the condition. I am only interested in the ones with sport contact. Please PM me with more information or e-mail me @

ibuysportsephemera@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jeff

Oldtix
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Historic newspapers have value, but often not the issues you might expect. For example, some significant historical events like JFK's assassination, the Apollo moon landing, 9/11 and major WW2 events (D-Day, V-E Day, V-J Day, FDR's death) are of great interest to people, but since huge numbers of people preserved those newspapers they aren't that expensive.

As previous posters said, though, if the headlines look good or if the passage of time has made the event more significant, you can do well with them. I recently sold a paper covering Lou Gehrig's death for $100 and a one for Ghandi's assassination for $250. I sold a set of papers on the 1919 World Series at a past National for $1,500. On the other hand, a great headline of Jim Bunning's perfect game last week failed to get any bids. It's safe to say they're worth having...but don't think it will be an easy flip. They take up a lot of space and they have to be protected from the elements... old newprint is high maintenance.

But as a sports collector, reading the coverage of historic events in the words written on those days is a real treat...and a pretty cheap one at that. Back in the 1970s, libraries replaced their old bound volumes with microfilm copies. I grabbed many volumes at that time dating all the way back to 1902. They are real gems and you see the impact of sports on daily lives. I've read daily coverage of the Merkle controversy, the trial of the Black Sox, seen the box score for Ruth's first homer and Alexander's last victory, DiMaggio's streak, the called shot in 1932 and the great Cardinal pennant race of 1934...and newspapers make those things come alive in ways far different from books.

Mark
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
A few years ago, I bought a series of papers covering the 1925 World Series between the Pirates and the Senators. On one of the off days, the headlines are about Matty's death, and it has lots of great quotes from McGraw and others. And on the last page, there is a small box which says that the Pirates just purchased the contracts of Hal Rhyne and Paul Waner from San Francisco of the PCL. As a Pirates / NY Giants collector, it's one of my favorite items.

deadballera
08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a complete month Oct 1919 of newspapers..

great articles of the Blacksox

deadballera
08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I also have original Merkle boner of the following day....

HistoricNewspapers
08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
The value of newspapers from that era are heavily influenced by, the Event, the eye appeal(namely headline/pictures), and if it is printed from the town of the event. It is very important that it is on the front page from that era.

They are not as valuable as Revolutionary War era newspapers like a newspaper reporting the battle of Lexington and Concord, or the key Civil War papers like a first report of Lincoln's assassination, but they do have value.

For instance, on Ebay, I sold a NY paper that had a huge "Babe Ruth is Dead" headline and a huge close up of his face on the front page, for $400. Private sales have realized prices a little higher.

There is a NY paper with a huge drawing of a 'bum' after the Dodgers won the world series, and that paper sold for $900+ a couple of times.

THe Honolulu Star Bulletin with the first report of Pearl Harbor has sold between $1,300-$2,300 in auction.

The famous "Dewey defeats Truman" paper sells for $1,200+.

Those are examples of the best of the best from that era. If you have stuff like that, great.

By comparison, if you have a Pearl Harbor paper that isn't from Hawaii, it may sell for $100+ if it has a really good headline, and if you do a good job of listing it.

I will add that there can be large price variability when selling them. Sometimes they go much higher than expected, if they look really good.

Nothing really compares to the papers from the Rev War era. They are very rare, and the topics are very historic.

scooter729
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I love old newspapers with great headlines; here are a couple of my favorites - a 1916 Boston Globe announcing the Red Sox as World Champs, and a 1912 Boston Globe the day after the Titanic sank.

Oldtix
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Beautiful Boston papers, sir! Building on your theme, here are a couple of boxing newspapers that exemplify the eye appeal that creates value...the 1928 Jack Dempsey-Gene Tunney fight and the 1910 Jack Johnson-James Jeffries "Great White Hope" fight. Newspapers after the Johnson fight covered rioting and arson when attempts were made to show motion pictures of the fight.

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac351/oldtix/003.jpg

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac351/oldtix/006.jpg

jacksons
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
This one sold at REA several years ago for a large sum

Kawika
08-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Scott Scooter: Great Boston newspapers! The "Mascot of the Red Sox" appears to be the same kid in the Laughing Red Sox team picture (please excuse the squirrel). Does the article identify him or say anything more about him? Just curious.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/miscellany/websize/125166194906094952495132.jpg

scooter729
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Interesting question, David. The paper identifies him as "Red" Glennon. A quick Google search found this from a February 1915 Boston Globe article about him:
========
Thousands of Red Sox fans will be interested in the announcement that William Joseph Glennon, the 13-year-old youngster with the deep-red hair, who was seen on the diamond every afternoon that the Boston team played in Boston last season, has been "signed" as a member of the team for the coming year in the capacity of mascot.

He is known as "Red" by his playmates, but this name has not the approval of his mother, who is naturally proud of the signal distinction of her son, coming as it does direct from Pres Lannin. The new mascot is left-handed, and she says "Lefty" is much better; so "Lefty" Glennon his name will henceforth be to Boston baseball enthusiasts.

"Lefty" Glennon is a freshman at Boston College High School; he is a bright student and well liked. He was "graduated" into the major league from a local team, the Red Sox of Jamaica Plain, an organization fostered by one of the curates of the St Thomas parish, in which he lives at 16 St Rose st.

On this team, which claimed the 12-13-year-old championship of Greater Boston, he played in centerfield and played it well, according to the fans of the neighborhood. These same experts figure also that the rise of the Red Sox near the end of the season last year was due to the daily attendance of young "Lefty."

Pres Lannin's letter notifying "Lefty" of his appointment states the hope that the team will play its way to success the coming season as a result of its mascot.

Kawika
08-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Scott. I wonder what became of old Lefty. Couldn't find much if anything via Google although there are a couple of William Joseph Glennons of later generations that might be descendants. But, wow, what kid wouldn't be in hog heaven hanging around the Red Sox in 1915?