PDA

View Full Version : Roush Autograph?

rc4157
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
With the questions present with authentic autographs in the industry, I thought I would ask our autograph experts their opinions regarding this Edd Roush sample.
I mainly purchased the postcard to have the Roush, if the auto. is legit that's just bonus but would still like to know. It is slabbed as a PSA authentic auto but I trust your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance, RC
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/rc4157/Autographs/EddRoushPostcardAutograph.jpg

Ladder7
08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Except for the R, looks like mine.

rc4157
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Steve, I tried to look at some others and to me (obviously no expert) sometimes the R and the H in his last name look somewhat different. I guess he signed at different times during his life and there could be some differences.

Thanks again, RC

Any other opinions welcome.

T206Collector
08-29-2009, 03:34 PM
It's a very common sig -- he lived well into the 1980s -- and generally not worth it to forge it. It looks quite real to me.

FrankWakefield
08-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Below is mine.

I think "ladder's" and RC's are authentic.

FW

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/Roushauto.jpg

CardPricer.com
08-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Richard -
It also looks good to me. That said, I am not an autograph expert. My point of reference is my time looking through his granddaughter's collection. However, without yours in hand- it's hard to say. You can see a guaranteed authentic signature on his Federal league contract from 1915 which is on my file center: http://www.blacksoxfan.com/file_center/browse.php?cat=12

Ted

RichardSimon
08-30-2009, 01:49 PM
It's a very common sig -- he lived well into the 1980s -- and generally not worth it to forge it. It looks quite real to me.

For some important reasons I usually don't give opinions on autographs on Net54. However, I must say to T206collector that the forgers have no pride, and no shame, they will and have forged any signature that is out there.
That being said, the Roush does look good.

rc4157
08-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your input, it's very much appreciated.

Ted - You may have created a monster here with my new interest in the 1919 World Series.

yanksfan09
08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm no expert. The R is a bit different than others I've seen. I would still vote authentic on it though for whatever that's worth. I have 2 Roush sigs and it's pretty similar (assuming mine are both good!) I think we must assume that no autograph is 100% alike everytime someone signs. He had many decades of signing, so subtle differences will arise.

I vote real.

John V
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm with T206 Collector. Roush appears to be one of those who was glad to sign. So why forge when there are plenty to go around. I snagged this check. These are difficult to dispute. Last time I looked there were others on eBay.

T206Collector
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
...is that there are over 100 available Roush autographs on ebay this evening alone, with a few added every day. Not to sound too blunt here, but asking whether a Roush autograph is authentic is the baseball card equivalent of asking if a 1987 Topps card is a reprint. Are there reprints of 1987 Topps cards floating about? I'm sure there are. But is there really any reason to be concerned about it? It's a cheap and plentiful signature.

Here's a real nice one for 16 bucks. The seller has 2. Nobody is buying them for that price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edd-Roush-Autographed-Baseball-Hall-Fame-Plaque_W0QQitemZ310138810395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4835b6b01b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It would cost you twice as much as the value of the autograph to have it authenticated.

But I would pay big money for one on a Cracker Jack card, like the one I have on my website. Even though Roush signed just about everything known to man while he was alive, he appeared to sign precious few pre-war cards.

CardPricer.com
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your input, it's very much appreciated.

Ted - You may have created a monster here with my new interest in the 1919 World Series.

Let the addiction begin! If you have any questions - shoot me an email (blacksoxfan a/t+ cardpricer.com)