PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Ball player...any help would be great

Bobsbats
08-29-2009, 09:27 AM
With the wealth of knowledge on this board I am hoping for help identifying this cabinet. My dad and I purchased it at the National in AC a few years ago with the assumption, since it was from a respectable dealer, of being Roger Connor. I actually remember showing it to Leon at the National and him comparing it to his Connor (G and B ?). We have braced ourselves that it may not be Connor but any help with this card would be great. I am also enclosing a picture that I took while at the Hall of Fame years ago, that has a Dan Brouthers cabinet in it, but the size and style seem to be very similar in shape to my cabinet photo. Thanks in advance. Bob

Jay Wolt
08-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I dunno if its Connor but its a great piece
Here are some Connor shots

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tbWhUgWV5As/SQIiNsNp2CI/AAAAAAAAABo/ZY2DairiXlQ/s1600/rogerconnor1.jpg

barrysloate
08-29-2009, 09:34 AM
There is a similarity, and the Fifth Avenue address on the mount could be in New York, but what uniform is he wearing? My guess is it is not Roger Connor.

oldjudge
08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Ears are close but lips and nose are different. Neck is longer and guy looks wimpier. I'd say that is not Roger Connor. BTW, I think I saw that cabinet being hawked at the White Plains show, prior to the AC National, with no takers.

Bobsbats
08-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the imput....would anyone happen to have more information on this piece? Based on the uniform, would anyone happen to know the rough years it was produced? It is approx. 4"1/4- 8 1/2 in size with a gold trim border. I can't quite make out the Studio....305 5th avenue....

barrysloate
08-29-2009, 01:58 PM
It certainly has that late 1880's-1890 look to it, but other than that there's not much else I can tell you. It's a very nice photograph of an unidentified baseball player.

bmarlowe1
08-29-2009, 06:35 PM
very nice photo but absolutely 100% not Roger Connor. One easy point of reference is his lack of a horizontal chin crease about half-way between the bottom of his chin and his lower lip that is evident on any clear portrait of Connor. Also - your photo is very clear so there should be at least a hint of the chin cleft.